Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (115 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Watched Prometheus for the 4th time last night and really can't understand the hate on this movie. Sure, it leaves many unanswered questions but so did Alien. Actually Alien has far more questions that 30 some years later we still don't know the answers to.

It also got mixed reviews on release and didn't become a classic til 2 decades later, which IMO, will happen to Prometheus in the future. There are several subliminal and symbolic messages in the movie that are supposed to make the viewer think or research. The problem with nowadays is that everyone wants everything explained to them, they don't take the time to come up with their own theories, to think outside the box. Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey? IMO the greatest masterpiece ever made and i'm absolutely certain that if that movie was to be released today, it'd fail miserably. This generation sucks really.

Ridley Scott really pulled a Kubrick on this one. And i'm really looking forward to Prometheus 2 where it's said some of the questions will finally be answered.
I quite liked Prometheus too. But imo it's far from perfect and not comparable to 2001: A Space Odyssey. In some ways, I find Prometheus quite clever, in others surprisingly dumb.

could someone briefly explain wtf is so great about Odyssey 2001?
There's a website dedicated to that :D
http://www.kubrick2001.com/

- - - Updated - - -

Zerkalo - Pretty great movie. Tarkovsky's movies are really art and he's a guy to study without a doubt. Almost every minute of the movie can be interpreted differently and it's interesting how he structures problems. I loved the poem parts, pretty deep that was. Having it named Zerkalo/mirror was perfect as well.

Persona - Great movie. Now I also rate this one more than The Seventh Seal (I really didn't like it). Wild Strawberries was also better imo. With Persona he did everything beautiful and it was great seeing how nurse and the silent women blend into one. Two scenes that were most powerful were when the nurse took role of her wife and spoke with the husband and
Dule for life!

- - - Updated - - -

@Völler I meant how both women blend good as one character :D
:tup:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I wanna see Andrei Rublev this week. What do you think about it?

- - - Updated - - -

I quite liked Prometheus too. But imo it's far from perfect and not comparable to 2001: A Space Odyssey. In some ways, I find Prometheus quite clever, in others surprisingly dumb.
I had it on my PC for like 2 years and just yesterday I deleted it.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I haven't seen it yet even though it has been on my to do list for years. :p I just really need to have the time and be in the mood for 3,5 hours Tarkovsky. :D
It's 3 hours!

But yea I get ya, I've been postponing to see that one for a while. I actually decided to watch Zerkalo instead just because it's less than a 2h movie.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Watched Prometheus for the 4th time last night and really can't understand the hate on this movie. Sure, it leaves many unanswered questions but so did Alien. Actually Alien has far more questions that 30 some years later we still don't know the answers to.

It also got mixed reviews on release and didn't become a classic til 2 decades later, which IMO, will happen to Prometheus in the future. There are several subliminal and symbolic messages in the movie that are supposed to make the viewer think or research. The problem with nowadays is that everyone wants everything explained to them, they don't take the time to come up with their own theories, to think outside the box. Remember 2001: A Space Odyssey? IMO the greatest masterpiece ever made and i'm absolutely certain that if that movie was to be released today, it'd fail miserably. This generation sucks really.

Ridley Scott really pulled a Kubrick on this one. And i'm really looking forward to Prometheus 2 where it's said some of the questions will finally be answered.
Did you seriously just compare Prometheus and 2001: A Space Odyssey? And drew parallels between Ridley Scott and Kubrik too? Daaaamn :p
Prometheus is just a piece of good old shallow entertainment, still milking the Alien franchise 30+ years later. No reason to speak of mysteries or unanswered Qs in that one besides the most obvious ones that are there so that Prometheus 2 can continue the milking process. It's having the plot driven by illogical and downright stupid actions by empty characters that brings the movie down. If anything, it's the complete lack of any sort of depth or hidden message that is the issue there ... being as literal, obvious and simplistic as its creator, tbh.
Odyssey is a timeless masterpiece, Prometheus is a pop-corn flick that is forgotten as soon as the final credits are on.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched the Mandela movie last night. I liked it.

Best part of living in a developing nation is the access to dat bootleg shit.
been there done that, bootlegging included :p. trust me, in time you will realize you were just lying to yourself. I don't know how you ended up there but if at all possible (and just about anything is), don't waste another second and start planning how you are gonna get back here again.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
Prometheus was one of the stupidest movies I've watched the few years. If you're going to make a brainless action/science-fiction flick with awesome costumes and action scenes, that's fine by me. But Prometheus, as it seems to me at least, wants us to believe it's a smartly thought out movie with a complex backstory, with which it just fails miserably.

What's worse is that so many of the at times facepalming stupidity could have been avoided so easily.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
been there done that, bootlegging included :p. trust me, in time you will realize you were just lying to yourself. I don't know how you ended up there but if at all possible (and just about anything is), don't waste another second and start planning how you are gonna get back here again.
It's Mexico, I could be back in the states by dinner time.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
It's Mexico, I could be back in the states by dinner time.
Good for you, then what the f are you still waiting for? Just make sure you have dinner in mexico and be here for breakfast :p

- - - Updated - - -

damn that shit up there is presumptuous :p
sweety, nothing presumptuous about it - as I said, been there, done that. Only reason to stay in them developing countries is a profitable criminal enterprise. Outside of that, given enough time, one is bound to have only regrets left.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Good for you, then what the f are you still waiting for? Just make sure you have dinner in mexico and be here for breakfast :p

- - - Updated - - -

sweety, nothing presumptuous about it - as I said, been there, done that. Only reason to stay in them developing countries is a profitable criminal enterprise. Outside of that, given enough time, i am bound to have only regrets left.

fixed it for ya

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

sweety, nothing presumptuous about it - as I said, been there, done that. Only reason to stay in them developing countries is a profitable criminal enterprise. Outside of that, given enough time, one is bound to have only regrets left.
Because your single subjective experience in one country applies as a general rule for everyone in all developing countries :p

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
fixed it for ya
Because your single subjective experience in one country applies as a general rule for everyone in all developing countries :p
That's semantics, dear babes. A glimmer of hope in a sea of shit, over time, averages out to a sea of shit. That was my point.
I can advise A. not to play the lottery because I did and didn't win anything. Technically, that'd be presumptuous too but not really.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
That's semantics, dear babes. A glimmer of hope in a sea of shit, over time, averages out to a sea of shit. That was my point.
I can advise A. not to play the lottery because I did and didn't win anything. Technically, that'd be presumptuous too but not really.
What if you were the bead of shit in a blazing inferno of hope? You'd have no way of knowing based on your experience alone.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

how lucky are we to have a bodhisattva amongst us

seriously that was a non sequitur dirty bomb of a post

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 112)