Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (38 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
That's a pretty huge gamble! You're a good guy so I'd probably lie even if I don't like it.

Was browsing 10 mins ago and I run into that one, got my eye on it already.
This forum is not worth posting on if there is someone on here that doesn't like that movie. :p
I have plenty other recommendations for Italian movies, but Cinema Paradiso is a movie that's impossible not to love. :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This forum is not worth posting on if there is someone on here that doesn't like that movie. :p
I have plenty other recommendations for Italian movies, but Cinema Paradiso is a movie that's impossible not to love. :D
Great to hear that. Please post all that you can think of (that are decent at least). I'm gonna watch some tomorrow for sure.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Any decent/good Italian movies? (Not La Vita e bella)

@Martin you might know.

@Dule90 unfortunately I have seen very few good ones. Lots of garbage ones. Here are the good ones:

- Habemus Papam (very amusing)
- Gomorra (brutal, but it's very Saviano)
- Il divo (witty, clever, liked it a lot)

I would love to hear about other good ones, in fact.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Here are some movies I liked a lot:

La grande bellezza (same director as Il Divo. A movie about the emptiness of the modern life)
La dolce vita (La grande bellezza is basically a modern La Dolce Vita. Same subject, different generation)
Ladri di biciclette (hyper realistic movie from the 40's with a story more relevant than ever)
Malèna (if you haven't already, you will fall in love with Monica Bellucci)
Amarcord (small, funny tales from an Italian town)
L'uomo delle stelle (a man claiming to work as a caster travels around in Sicily and steal people's money)
I cento passi (The story about a guy in Sicily who stood up against the mafia)
Il gattopardo (costume drama about a time long ago and how "a leopard can't change its spots")

I'm not counting Sergio Leone's movies, but if you want to, then watch them all. Masterpieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Malèna, L'uomo delle stelle and I cento passi are not masterpieces, but easily accessible. :)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It is a great movie.

That's great. Thanks a lot.

One last thing, do you know if those are available on torrent? Or even better, some website like Noobroom with subtitles? :D
Let's just say this one came via a torrent with subs. :D

http://forum.juventuz.org/threads/2...d-Films-doesn-t-matter)?p=4373810#post4373810

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Here are some movies I liked a lot:

La grande bellezza (same director as Il Divo. A movie about the emptiness of the modern life)
La dolce vita (La grande bellezza is basically a modern La Dolce Vita. Same subject, different generation)
Ladri di biciclette (hyper realistic movie from the 40's with a story more relevant than ever)
Malèna (if you haven't already, you will fall in love with Monica Bellucci)
Amarcord (small, funny tales from an Italian town)
L'uomo delle stelle (a man claiming to work as a caster travels around in Sicily and steal people's money)
I cento passi (The story about a guy in Sicily who stood up against the mafia)
Il gattopardo (costume drama about a time long ago and how "a leopard can't change its spots")

I'm not counting Sergio Leone's movies, but if you want to, then watch them all. Masterpieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Malèna, L'uomo delle stelle and I cento passi are not masterpieces, but easily accessible. :)
Is it funny?

I've seen Malèna, it's somewhat bizarre.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Not in the traditional sense, but it definitely has some absurd moments and witty scenes.

- - - Updated - - -
@swag

Some scenes are pretty hilarious, IMO. My favorite is when he's at a party and totally dresses down another socialite.
This one right? (no subtitles, but you'll know anyway :p):

That's like the best scene of the movie. No bullshit, but just the unbearable truth. I wouldn't call that scene hilarious, but it's definitely jaw-dropping, and you are sitting with a big smile on afterwards. Fantastic filmmaking. :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
This one right? (no subtitles, but you'll know anyway :p):

That's like the best scene of the movie. No bull$#@!, but just the unbearable truth. I wouldn't call that scene hilarious, but it's definitely jaw-dropping, and you are sitting with a big smile on afterwards. Fantastic filmmaking. :D
Er... it was okay. I wouldn't give it any of the epithets you gave it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)