Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (65 Viewers)

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
I think Denzel Washington will be a fantastic choice to play Macbeth. And that singular casting choice isn’t so bad. I just find the interviews about how they had to fill a lot of the roles with black actors to show that Shakespeare belongs to them too, super cringe. Especially given that it’s a play about a Scottish king set in a time where zero black people lived in Scotland. Imagine a white guy saying this about a famous black playwright’s work though:

“When’s the last time you’ve seen it?” Hawkins asked. “The fact that we are here, says without saying, we have just as much ownership of [Shakespeare] as anybody else. So, the question is just, ‘Why not?’ We are capable. This language and this story belongs to us as well.”

They should have just named the movie Mutombe and made it happen in some African kingdom. The story is universal enough that it doesn't have to happen in Scotland.

What I hate and will never understand is putting black actors to play obviously non-black historical or semi-historical characters (like random Scottish king that never existed but obviously was not black, brown or yellow).

Like what they did in the upcoming Viking spin-off. They put a black woman to play a real person - Jarl Haakon, an obviously Norwegian Viking. Like what is the fucking point of doing this?

Some people whined about black actors playing Elves in the Witcher. I didn't care because those are fantasy being that can be whatever imo. But gender swapping and blacksploiting historical nothern Europeans is just retarded.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
They should have just named the movie Mutombe and made it happen in some African kingdom. The story is universal enough that it doesn't have to happen in Scotland.

What I hate and will never understand is putting black actors to play obviously non-black historical or semi-historical characters (like random Scottish king that never existed but obviously was not black, brown or yellow).

Like what they did in the upcoming Viking spin-off. They put a black woman to play a real person - Jarl Haakon, an obviously Norwegian Viking. Like what is the fucking point of doing this?

Some people whined about black actors playing Elves in the Witcher. I didn't care because those are fantasy being that can be whatever imo. But gender swapping and blacksploiting historical nothern Europeans is just retarded.
:tup:

Noone is denying the race nor the quality of acting. Just get them in different/other movies. If there's some amazing story about a black guy, that happened in real life, of course it would be fucking stupid to let a white guy get that role. Vice versa. I'm just sick of such things and we are seeing more and more. Oh and a black girl being Haakon is lol

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

:agree:

I’ve been trying to be diplomatic above, but I agree with all of this. Fantasy, I couldn’t give two shits what they do with casting. History and historical fiction, it’s obnoxious as fuck when they diversify casts just for the sake of diversification in ways that are historically as inaccurate as it is possible to be.

Last edited:
OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #28,447

Thats why that shit should be boycotted.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

Noone is denying the race nor the quality of acting. Just get them in different/other movies. If there's some amazing story about a black guy, that happened in real life, of course it would be fucking stupid to let a white guy get that role. Vice versa. I'm just sick of such things and we are seeing more and more. Oh and a black girl being Haakon is lol
    Have you ever seen Verdi's Otello? 90% of the time the main role, a moorish general, is sang by a white guy, historically (up until a decade or two ago depending on country) with a blackface. :lol: Its ridiculous, but theres not exactly a sea of talented afroamerican operatic tenors out there.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Yeah. When we are getting films and shows and plays casting Julius Caesar, Joan of Arc, Margaret of Anjou, Achilles and others as black it’s pretty lame.

The “representation matters” argument is fine, but then don’t find that representation by “blackwashing” European history, that’s just as idiotic as past whitewashing of history. It would be amazing to see films about the great sub-Saharan African empires. I’d love to see films about the Songhai Empire, the kingdom of Aksum, or the Mali Empire, for example. Mansa Musa would be an amazing historical ruler to see brought to the silver screen.

And if you want to do Macbeth with black actors, then move the setting to an 11th century African empire, and tell a loose adaptation there. That would probably be super dope.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Yeah. When we are getting films and shows and plays casting Julius Caesar, Joan of Arc, Margaret of Anjou, Achilles and others as black it’s pretty lame.

The “representation matters” argument is fine, but then don’t find that representation by “blackwashing” European history, that’s just as idiotic as past whitewashing of history. It would be amazing to see films about the great sub-Saharan African empires. I’d love to see films about the Songhai Empire, the kingdom of Aksum, or the Mali Empire, for example. Mansa Musa would be an amazing historical ruler to see brought to the silver screen.

And if you want to do Macbeth with black actors, then move the setting to an 11th century African empire, and tell a loose adaptation there. That would probably be super dope.
    it’s Shakespeare though. so it doesn’t matter. I once saw a black dude play Claudius in hamlet and he was amazing. all that should matter is presence and performance

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    it’s Shakespeare though. so it doesn’t matter. I once saw a black dude play Claudius in hamlet and he was amazing. all that should matter is presence and performance
    I mean, that’s fine to say, but I disagree. I’ve also seen great performances in Shakespeare both on stage and in film by black and Asian actors. But I don’t see why I need to pretend Medieval English and Scottish kings and nobles were black. That’s just dumb imo. If it’s in a historical setting, and they are trying to be period accurate with costumes, set design, etc, then it’s pretty stupid to insert people in who historically didn’t exist in those places imo. To each their own though. If it’s a more barebones, stark stage play, that’s different. But don’t try to make everything else period accurate and then cast a non-white actor as Richard III for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t wait for the black transwoman version of Hamlet. :snoop:

Last edited:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I mean, that’s fine to say, but I disagree. I’ve also seen great performances in Shakespeare both on stage and in film by black and Asian actors. But I don’t see why I need to pretend Medieval English and Scottish kings and nobles were black. That’s just dumb imo. If it’s in a historical setting, and they are trying to be period accurate with costumes, set design, etc, then it’s pretty stupid to insert people in who historically didn’t exist in those places imo. To each their own though. If it’s a more barebones, stark stage play, that’s different. But don’t try to make everything else period accurate and then cast a non-white actor as Richard III for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Can’t wait for the black transwoman version of Hamlet. :snoop:
    A woman has already played hamlet for the royal Shakespeare company. Lol

I get what you’re saying but Shakespeare isn’t real and it isn’t history. It’s all fiction. So if it’s done well, that shit don’t matter. Look at much ado about nothing (1993), it’s awesome but as far as color casting goes. Even the white people aren’t the right color white. And do you think Shakespeare ever properly portrayed Othelo in his time?

I get what you’re saying about needing historical accuracy but I don’t think it applies to fiction, fantasy, satire, comedy, etc.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    Have you ever seen Verdi's Otello? 90% of the time the main role, a moorish general, is sang by a white guy, historically (up until a decade or two ago depending on country) with a blackface. :lol: Its ridiculous, but theres not exactly a sea of talented afroamerican operatic tenors out there.
    Moors weren't black though, and 'black' didn't mean what it does now.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    A woman has already played hamlet for the royal Shakespeare company. Lol

I get what you’re saying but Shakespeare isn’t real and it isn’t history. It’s all fiction. So if it’s done well, that shit don’t matter. Look at much ado about nothing (1993), it’s awesome but as far as color casting goes. Even the white people aren’t the right color white. And do you think Shakespeare ever properly portrayed Othelo in his time?

I get what you’re saying about needing historical accuracy but I don’t think it applies to fiction, fantasy, satire, comedy, etc.
    I think period settings, fiction or not, with real historical or pseudo-historical characters should have accurate casting choices as well. Historical fiction and fantasy are two very different things. And Shakespeare being unable to properly cast Othello and using a white man in black face is just a symptom of his times. Not really an argument for making English and Scottish medieval kings non-Caucasian. As I said, if they aren’t done in a period setting, I’m fine with it, but as soon as they start paying attention to making period setting accurate, why on earth would casting be the part made inaccurate?

So agree to disagree it is…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 58)