Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (85 Viewers)

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
Hey guys, does maybe someone know the name of the movie by my badly written plot summary below:

Is is about a guy who is house sitting for someone else while they're traveling or whatever. While he is house sitting something bad happens, I can't remember if it is a break in or a party gone wrong or even a murder but towards the end it looks like the main guy is in trouble, going to jail or something. He then discovers that everything has been a prank by his friends from the sunflower/pumpkin seeds they were leaving on the floor.

I know it's not much, but it's been driving me crazy. I watched it probably over 10 years ago and I don't think it's a horror movie, seemed more like a comedy or something. Thanks to anyone who can give hints

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
I really liked The Last Duel. Huge influence by Kurosawa but still a very enjoyable movie. It definitely deserved better rating and better box office.
interesting. I thought it was pretty bad. One of the weaker Ridley Scott movies i have watched and im a fan.
I found it great, but I love history and this movie was probably one of the first to show the reality of european late medieval knighthood. Like yeah, you have a castle and servants, but you can't really afford it so your everyday life is signing up for random wars and suing your neighbours/superiors for money or land.

Or you can be popular with your superior and just get everything you want for free.

Also it was interesting that it showed what a squire actually was. Not some kid running around his knight. You could be a lord, a land owner, a castle owner and still be a squire.

May 26, 2016
What made you dislike it?
First of all its a copy of, or rather inspired by Rashomon, a movie that i like, so i might be biased in that sense.

When it comes to the actual movie:

The separate story line was interesting conceptually but felt kind of "old" to me the third time with the Lady's perspective. Personally i found this repeatable structure to be more of a hindrance than an asset in this movie. The pacing also felt off at times.

The scenography was beautiful, the stage set in medieval France is very interesting to me as i love medieval history.

Therefore i was disappointed to see this movie become more of a "drama" based on 3 people, rather than a depiction or a portrait of what society was in that time and all its details. There is off course, some historical value in the movie, but it was much smaller than it could have been.

I wish they skipped the "drama" with the girl, the personal dramas etc and focused more on the society, structure and history. But i guess that is more of a personal preference anyway.

Acting:

Matt Damon to me did decent in this movie. He lacks charisma but that might be the point since he is supposed to be a brute anyway.

Adam Driver on the other hand did a very fine job and his character felt more complex and well put together. I wanted to know more about him as he seemed much more interesting.

The Girl had a pretty face but thats about it. Forgettable.

The duel at the end was intense and well put together, so a plus for that.

All in all a okayish movie , but it lacks punch and becomes to narrow for me to give it more than a 6/10 at best.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it great, but I love history and this movie was probably one of the first to show the reality of european late medieval knighthood.
I do too and wish they did more of it rather than making it about a threesome drama.

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Fair enough. Not your cup of tea. But the movie itself was meant to be such drama intertwined between the same story from different point of view, so it's your wish it was something else rather than a story based on three characters. It's surely a personal preference, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I expected exactly what was given and I wasn't dreaming on other parts being insert. Like we already mentioned, it was heavily inspired by Kurosawa and at that it did a very good job on telling the (simple) story, and despite story being repeated I didn't find it dull nor boring at any point. The acting and scenography were indeed beautiful and no complaints here either.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
I do too and wish they did more of it rather than making it about a threesome drama.
Well since it was based on historic threesome drama that's one of the best documented court cases of medieval times I think they gave us as much of that as they could. It would have to be a completely different movie without that rape case. Not that I would mind a movie 100% focused on those times and its society.

As for the story being shown from 3 perspectives I actually enjoyed it and the little differences between them influenced by the way characters thought about themselves.

May 26, 2016
Well since it was based on historic threesome drama that's one of the best documented court cases of medieval times I think they gave us as much of that as they could. It would have to be a completely different movie without that rape case. Not that I would mind a movie 100% focused on those times and its society.

As for the story being shown from 3 perspectives I actually enjoyed it and the little differences between them influenced by the way characters thought about themselves.
Fair enough. It seems like this comes down to personal preference more than the movie being bad or anything else. Completely understand why people would like this movie, for me it just didnt "hit the spot"

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
King Richard.

Utterly fantastic movie. Had me glued to every scene from start to finish, wholesome and charming sports movie, through the ups and downs of a remarkable family. Wish it kept going throughout their early pro careers, but as title said, its about their father and not their legendary efforts later.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Power of the dog

What a pile of shit. The fact this is leading the awards this season is pathetic.

The woke movement has ruined Hollywood. Any movie with a hint of homosexuality or relationship trouble is considered great.

Last edited:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 79)