Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (63 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Lighthouses and two men being in the same location don't automatically make me think of penises or gayness but i know we're prone to projecting our inner selves in understanding the world around us so i'm not surprised some other people see it.
Yea lol. Thats just crazy... people are so weird.

It's a film about two men alone on an island with a big lighthouse to take care of, and you didn't sense any any homosexual undertones?

Here's a link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus
I didnt. Linking The Lighthouse with dicks and gays is fucking ridiculous.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Yea lol. Thats just crazy... people are so weird.

I didnt. Linking The Lighthouse with dicks and gays is fucking ridiculous.
When you’re watching “The Lighthouse,” its queer undertones don’t immediately reveal themselves. Were they something that Eggers, Pattinson and Dafoe consciously discussed?

Dafoe: It’s there. What’s to talk about? It’s a no-brainer.
Eggers: The heart of it was always there. The whole thing is about power dynamics, so it is about Willem pushing, pushing, pushing, pushing, pushing. And there’s pent-up anger and pent-up erotic energy and pent-up smells. Where is that breaking point? Also, how does alcohol play on all these dynamics?
Pattinson: It was pretty explicit in the script. The script said the lighthouse looked like an erect penis.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
When you’re watching “The Lighthouse,” its queer undertones don’t immediately reveal themselves. Were they something that Eggers, Pattinson and Dafoe consciously discussed?

Dafoe: It’s there. What’s to talk about? It’s a no-brainer.
Eggers: The heart of it was always there. The whole thing is about power dynamics, so it is about Willem pushing, pushing, pushing, pushing, pushing. And there’s pent-up anger and pent-up erotic energy and pent-up smells. Where is that breaking point? Also, how does alcohol play on all these dynamics?
Pattinson: It was pretty explicit in the script. The script said the lighthouse looked like an erect penis.
Makes no sense to me. Reminds me of Tarkovsky and his screening when a group of critics stayed after the movie to discussing (Ivans Childhood I think) and how they didnt get it entirely. Then the cleaning lady came in and explaining it to them with Tarkovsky agreeing to her views. Sounds like critics sometimes try to look too hard for some hidden objects and symbolism while its not even there.

Its like I saw a movie where they had a little kid and a man inside a room and there was a pencil. Penic surely meant a hard dick which indicates that the older guy must be a pedophile...

Not saying what you posted is BS. Dunno what was there internally and how the scrip looked. But as somebody who watched the movie I didnt get that nor it ever occured to me, not even one bit. I literally laughed when I say what Matt posted, connecting dicks and gays with Lighthouse just sounds way too insane for me. Anyway Im quite glad I didnt experience it like that.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Yeah none of that occurred to me either. The only time I got any sense of homoeroticism was when they were dancing so closely and looked like they were about to kiss, but I thought that was just the drunkeness. Makes more sense now.

Anyway Pattinson was really good, but Dafoe his role perfectly. Quite funny too.

Any movies similar to it? No not penis themed, but psychological/suspense with the same kind of mood.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah none of that occurred to me either. The only time I got any sense of homoeroticism was when they were dancing so closely and looked like they were about to kiss, but I thought that was just the drunkeness. Makes more sense now.

Anyway Pattinson was really good, but Dafoe his role perfectly. Quite funny too.

Any movies similar to it? No not penis themed, but psychological/suspense with the same kind of mood.
The Witch is probably the closest in mood. Also Under the Skin, Valhalla Rising, lost highway

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

Kyle's suggestions are really good. Persona and Antichrist are two other films I'd mention. In general, Robert Eggers seems to be very influenced by Bergman.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
The Witch is probably the closest in mood. Also Under the Skin, Valhalla Rising, lost highway
Kyle's suggestions are really good. Persona and Antichrist are two other films I'd mention. In general, Robert Eggers seems to be very influenced by Bergman.
Didn't enjoy Under the Skin really, other than sexy Scarlett Johansson

Jun 7, 2003
I didnt like Valhalla Rising. Garbage imo. The only good thing about it is having Mads Mikkelsen in the movie.
Mads is a fine actor. There is another movie of him it's called "The Hunt" that is a fine movie. I also didn't like Valhalla Rising, very boring. But i heard that some philosophical Stuff that is going on in the movie. About Valhalla and the Viking warrior and that stuff whatever...

I watched American Pie haha. Legendary movie, got a bit nostalgic there.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Mads is a fine actor. There is another movie of him it's called "The Hunt" that is a fine movie. I also didn't like Valhalla Rising, very boring. But i heard that some philosophical Stuff that is going on in the movie. About Valhalla and the Viking warrior and that stuff whatever...

I watched American Pie haha. Legendary movie, got a bit nostalgic there.
The Hunt was an amazing movie imo. I loved it.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:tup:

Hour of the Wolf would be the one that immediately comes to mind from Bergman when thinking of Eggers’ films.

- - - Updated - - -

A lot of Lynch’s weird stuff could work. Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire.

Jun 7, 2003
meh i only try to help and provide counter balance to some obscure arthouse Korean films from the 80s that the smug Euros will recommend for you.

If you're really looking for the weird, gloomy and plotless then check out Naked Lunch.
Naked Lunch is super movie. Very Kafkaesque and funny in some scenes.

I watched yesterday Easy Rider, good movie. Peter Fonda is chilling his life in this movie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 60)