Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (26 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Impressive. What did you think of Gangs of Wasseypur?
I actually think it's a brilliant movie. Indians have decent movies that's for sure but that one stood higher above others, offering quite unique view compared to others who often try to imitate Hollywood too much. Whoever likes mafia, gangs, street wars and corruption, he should definitely watch that one. Hell, I'd recommend it before plenty of others quite easily. Also, eventhough it lasts for 5.5 hours I'd say it's a hell of an entertainment seeing how their small district took shapes over so many decades. I think it's very rewarding and pretty unique. I really liked it.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I actually think it's a brilliant movie. Indians have decent movies that's for sure but that one stood higher above others, offering quite unique view compared to others who often try to imitate Hollywood too much. Whoever likes mafia, gangs, street wars and corruption, he should definitely watch that one. Hell, I'd recommend it before plenty of others quite easily. Also, eventhough it lasts for 5.5 hours I'd say it's a hell of an entertainment seeing how their small district took shapes over so many decades. I think it's very rewarding and pretty unique. I really liked it.
That's positive. Its runtime has put me off watching it. :D

The Indian films on the list I have seen have all been somewhere between bad and good, nothing exceptional on there. That being said, I still think the Indian films on the list are better than some of the Turkish ones. :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
That's positive. Its runtime has put me off watching it. :D

The Indian films on the list I have seen have all been somewhere between bad and good, nothing exceptional on there. That being said, I still think the Indian films on the list are better than some of the Turkish ones. :D
Maybe not exceptional but I expected less honestly. I enjoyed My Father and my son, I think its a good one. :D

I will be more into books now but when it comes to movies I will focus Cannes winners :p

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Maybe not exceptional but I expected less honestly. I enjoyed My Father and my son, I think its a good one. :D

I will be more into books now but when it comes to movies I will focus Cannes winners :p
I hated that one. Waaaay too melodramatic for my taste. The scene with the father ripping his shirt off? Come on! :lol:

Cannes winners is not a bad place to go. :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I hated that one. Waaaay too melodramatic for my taste. The scene with the father ripping his shirt off? Come on! :lol:

Cannes winners is not a bad place to go. :D
It had flaws surely. I really liked the ending but I think the overall real life situation was portrayed quite nicely.

Any recommendations? Doesnt have to be Cannes though.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Its not really. You can list like 5-20 movies that you think I would like. Id say you know my taste quite well.
It's just easier to make specific recommendations. :D And I have to take into account what you have seen. I can make a list though. Ain't like I got nothing better to do these days. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

@Dostoevsky

The Best of Youth
Submarino
Antichrist
Birds of Passage
Son of Saul
Play
About Elly
The White Ribbon
Synecdoche, New York
Being John Malkovich
Never Look Away
Timbuktu
Theeb
The Last Temptation of Christ (a gamble since you don't like Scorsese :D )
The Sound of Music (yes, it's a musical, but a must watch)

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's just easier to make specific recommendations. :D And I have to take into account what you have seen. I can make a list though. Ain't like I got nothing better to do these days. :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

@Dostoevsky

The Best of Youth
Submarino
Antichrist
Birds of Passage
Son of Saul
Play
About Elly
The White Ribbon
Synecdoche, New York
Being John Malkovich
Never Look Away
Timbuktu
Theeb
The Last Temptation of Christ (a gamble since you don't like Scorsese :D )
The Sound of Music (yes, it's a musical, but a must watch)
That's not true! Just because I think his movies are overhyped doesn't mean I don't like him. His movies are quite good but not really that good as people make them (and him) out to be. Personally at least. I'd never have him as one of the best :p

Thanks and well done haha. Out of all those I watched only The White Ribbon while I had 2-3 of those on my watchlist. Just checked all of those out, they seem quite interesting so I will give them a go.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
That's not true! Just because I think his movies are overhyped doesn't mean I don't like him. His movies are quite good but not really that good as people make them (and him) out to be. Personally at least. I'd never have him as one of the best :p

Thanks and well done haha. Out of all those I watched only The White Ribbon while I had 2-3 of those on my watchlist. Just checked all of those out, they seem quite interesting so I will give them a go.
Let me know what you think if you end up watching any of them. :D

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dancer - It's a documentary about Polunin and I really liked it, I think it was very well done. I assume it wouldn't interest everyone, though.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Frank Capra is amazing but I liked this movie the least. James Stewart is great (like always), though.

Hotel Rwanda - Interesting watch. I'd say it's a good movie and enjoyable.

La passion de Jeanne d'Arc - Fantastic movie. I think there are many, this is the one from 1928.

Metropolis - So much ahead of it's time. Dunno why but the atmosphere reminds of me Faust. Great movie. Fritz Lang is quite insane.

The Great Dictator - Not the best Charlie Chaplin movie surely but I still enjoyed it. The ending speech is just timeless.

The Big Lebowski - Total shit.

PK - Kinda lame and cheesy but still watchable.

White Heat - Amazing.

Gangs of Wasseypur - I wrote above what I think about it. It's a great movie without a doubt.

Portrait de la jeune fille en feu - Great, I really liked this one. One of the festival movies that not everyone would enjoy surely. I did, though, I think it interesting and it had beautiful shots. It was like a painting.

Drishyam - Bar some cheesy Hollywood-look-a-like moments I think it's a great movie. Whoever enjoys solving murder type of movies should watch it imo.

Amores perros - Great movie. Alejandro G. Iñárritu is quite special, keeping an eye on him for sure.

The Apartment - :tup: A classic. I thought it was fantastic.

A Clockwork Orange - I enjoyed watching it but I did not like it.

The Man Who Would be King - It's a good watch. I love watching Sean Connery.

Tengoku to jigoku - Amazing stuff from Kurosawa. Great movie and I think this one (unlike others) is targeted for wider audience.

Point Break - Predictable as hell but it has that nostalgic touch to it that only movies from the 90s had it, so I enjoyed it. Good popcorn movie.

City Lights - One of the best from Charlie Chaplin.

The General - I enjoyed it less than Sherlock Jr. but Buster Keaton is simply incredible. This one also had epic moments and such a fun to watch.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
I really liked Jeff Bridges. However the movie itself is so... For instance, I did not even find the movie funny at all.

I think I only liked Fargo from Coen brothers (although I haven't seen all). But yeah, I usually think their movies are shit and incredibly overrated for no reason.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Total shit? :lol2: :sergio:

tenor.gif

- - - Updated - - -

I really liked Jeff Bridges. However the movie itself is so... For instance, I did not even find the movie funny at all.

I think I only liked Fargo from Coen brothers (although I haven't seen all). But yeah, I usually think their movies are shit and incredibly overrated for no reason.
You have poor taste. That’s all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)