Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (93 Viewers)

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #24,642
    Free State of Jones

Have you ever had someone that you truly hated, and cringed every time you saw him on the screen, only to end up liking, even loving that person.

Matthew McConaughey :tup:

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013
    I've never seen any of his supposedly terrible past projects though, the first thing I saw him in was True Detective, shortly afterwards Wolf of Wall Street, and he was brilliant in both. Only later on I read about all the terrible movies he was in, and I still haven't seen any of them.

Apart from Interstellar that is.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    I like Gary, but what would he have won for? Almost always puts in a solid performance, but nothing that stands out as particularly award worthy. Rosencrantz was his best for me.
    I wasn't referring to a specific role, but rather that I think he's a beast of an actor. Better than many who have won, but in the end it comes down to the right role, movie and politics :p He could get it for Snape :lel1:

- - - Updated - - -

You know what he'll win it for portraying Churchill in two years time.

Jun 7, 2003
    I like Gary, but what would he have won for? Almost always puts in a solid performance, but nothing that stands out as particularly award worthy. Rosencrantz was his best for me.
    i liked him in "state of grace" the most.

I wasn't referring to a specific role, but rather that I think he's a beast of an actor. Better than many who have won, but in the end it comes down to the right role, movie and politics :p He could get it for Snape :lel1:

- - - Updated - - -

You know what he'll win it for portraying Churchill in two years time.
    hmmmmmmm :shifty: he doesnt play snape, i think you are not serious. so i have to admit i feel bad correcting you that he played sirius.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    hmmmmmmm :shifty: he doesnt play snape, i think you are not serious. so i have to admit i feel bad correcting you that he played sirius.
    Don't feel bad. It was simply an error; thought Sirius, wrote Snape. Snape is dead x 2

That said I am Sirius (pun intended). I think he is one of the best actors to never win it and before Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy the best to never be nominated.

And I'm also quite Sirius about him having a shot at winning the Academy Award for his Churchill portrait in 2018 (2019?).

Osman

Koul Khara!
    Aug 30, 2002
    I see it's hyperbole Thursday today.

One thing to say overrated /overly promoted. But worst? I seen him have numerous fine performances. Even just early work as a kid is clear enough what an actor he is. Basketball diaries and especially what's eating Gilbert grape was both ridiculously on point level of acting.

But Maddy is right, Gary Oldman is defenitely one of the most underrated. Jeffrey Wright too, both the kind of character actors that rarely get leading roles but / that many interesting projects, but are still highly memorable whatever the part is.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 92)