Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (19 Viewers)

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
I understand that of course and you are right, but IMO having more viewers is also important. I know, non-profitable, but it still has it's positives. Let's take The Revenant for example. It still hasn't arrived to the local cinemas here, and people are already labeling it as the movie of the year on Facebook and during conversations at work. It's still good publicity.

On your second question, yes I probably would, but I certainly would think twice before paying for an HBO subscription for example to watch GoT, etc. I'd be more careful what to watch, so I'd watch less.
I think you're right when saying that generating buzz through torrenting could actually result in better ticket sales. I just don't think it applies for many movies. The Revenant, as you mention, is not a good example, in my opinion. It already generated a lot buzz based on the trailer and the fact that it stars DiCaprio and Hardy and is directed by an Oscar-winning director. Furthermore, it's getting released just now because it will get a lot of Oscar nominations next week. There'd be more than enough buzz around the movie without the piracy. I think it's much more likely that a huge number of people won't go see it in the cinema because they already downloaded the leaked screener.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Nah. I mean, it is better quality, but for most people it won't make a difference if they watch a compressed 1080p torrent or HD on Netflix. Most notably quality difference is the subtitles. And while it's nice that you don't need to go look for subtitles and all, that's a minor thing. The real answer is, of course, that it's legal. If you care about supporting the filmmakers and such. :p And it's a great platform. Remembering where you paused a movie, playing the next episode of a series automatically etc. It's just really convenient and dirt-cheap.
Wow.

Are you on a clock now?

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I think you're right when saying that generating buzz through torrenting could actually result in better ticket sales. I just don't think it applies for many movies. The Revenant, as you mention, is not a good example, in my opinion. It already generated a lot buzz based on the trailer and the fact that it stars DiCaprio and Hardy and is directed by an Oscar-winning director. Furthermore, it's getting released just now because it will get a lot of Oscar nominations next week. There'd be more than enough buzz around the movie without the piracy. I think it's much more likely that a huge number of people won't go see it in the cinema because they already downloaded the leaked screener.
Maybe, but you catch my drift.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)