Movie Talk (New Films, Old Films... doesn't matter) (30 Viewers)

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
Just watched Black Mass. Was somewhere between average and good. Same can be said for Depps performance imo not sure why it is getting so much attention. I think people made their minds up about it before actually seeing the film just because of the trailer.
The trailer looked boring to me.

OP
Elvin

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
  • Thread Starter #22,223
    Just watched Black Mass. Was somewhere between average and good. Same can be said for Depps performance imo not sure why it is getting so much attention. I think people made their minds up about it before actually seeing the film just because of the trailer.
    It was just way too cliche.

Völler

Always spot on
    May 6, 2012
    What to watch from Chantal Akerman?
    @Völler @Post Ironic @anyotherfilmnerdoutthere.
    Lol, why are you interested? Have only watched (and yes, I had to Google the title to get it right) Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. Feminist movie being boring to show how boring it is to be a housewife.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    Lol, why are you interested? Have only watched (and yes, I had to Google the title to get it right) Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. Feminist movie being boring to show how boring it is to be a housewife.
    I read a couple of good articles about her after her death and apparently the bitch has been doing some good shit when it comes to film[history], so I wanted to hear if you guys could recommend anything her catalog seems rather boring.

But thank you for your derogatory "lol"

Dildo :kiss:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    The Martian is an easy watch but you get the feeling that there is a huge Hollywood sci-fi circle jerk going on right now, especially surrounding the topic.

From my understanding I also think that the conditions on Mars were far too kind, even considering the start of the movie.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    The Martian is an easy watch but you get the feeling that there is a huge Hollywood sci-fi circle jerk going on right now, especially surrounding the topic.

From my understanding I also think that the conditions on Mars were far too kind, even considering the start of the movie.
    The storm would never be strong enough to knock things over on Mars. Which means the ship the rest of the folks escaped in would never tip and Watney would not have been stranded. The movie could have ended right there :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    icemaη;5120412 said:
    The storm would never be strong enough to knock things over on Mars. Which means the ship the rest of the folks escaped in would never tip and Watney would not have been stranded. The movie could have ended right there :D
    Yeah the thin atmosphere doesn't create much resistance, that was a dramatic inclusion, although I think they did kind of acknowledge it, as the actors didn't seem to have any real trouble moving. I just expected things to be a lot dustier, the weather was pretty much perfect the rest of the time.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    What to watch from Chantal Akerman?
    @Völler @Post Ironic @anyotherfilmnerdoutthere.
    Je Tu Il Elle is a pretty good film. Probably her best. Toute Une Nuit and Les Rendez-vous d'Anna are decent films as well...

She had a rather boring and monotonous aesthetic, although I suppose this might be part of her "charm" to fans of her work. Her stuff isn't really my cup of tea.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
    Je Tu Il Elle is a pretty good film. Probably her best. Toute Une Nuit and Les Rendez-vous d'Anna are decent films as well...

She had a rather boring and monotonous aesthetic, although I suppose this might be part of her "charm" to fans of her work. Her stuff isn't really my cup of tea.
    Thanks, mah man.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005

What are you favorites for the year so far?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    What are you favorites for the year so far?
    Here's a not-so-brief list of favourite 2015 films, thus far.

Embrace of the Serpent
    Aferim
    Eadweard
    The Forbidden Room
    El Movimiento
    Crumbs
    Taxi
    Meru
    Alice in Earnestland
    Arabian Nights
    Mountains May Depart
    The Lobster
    Victoria
    Thanatos, Drunk
    Goodnight Mommy
    Cemetery of Splendour

Gerd

Dec 25, 2011
    Here's a not-so-brief list of favourite 2015 films, thus far.

Embrace of the Serpent
    Aferim
    Eadweard
    The Forbidden Room
    El Movimiento
    Crumbs
    Taxi
    Meru
    Alice in Earnestland
    Arabian Nights
    Mountains May Depart
    The Lobster
    Victoria
    Thanatos, Drunk
    Goodnight Mommy
    Cemetery of Splendour
    Dude when the year ends you need to post a full list :D . Your last years list was fucking great , black coal thin ice and leviathan were the best movies I saw last year .

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Dude when the year ends you need to post a full list :D . Your last years list was fucking great , black coal thin ice and leviathan were the best movies I saw last year .
    Thanks. :D Black Coal, Thin Ice was the real surprise of last year for me, as Yi'nan Diao's previous two films weren't really anything special and it was fantastic. I expected Leviathan to be good as Zvyagintsev's earlier Elena and The Return were both excellent as well.

Will definitely be doing compiling another list come end of the year. There are a number of films I am really looking forward to seeing still. Carol; Anomalisa; The Clan; The Revenant; The Last Reel; Utopia; The Wolfpack; The High Sun; Brooklyn; Room; 1944; The Two of Us; Jalal's Story; Heneral Luna; In The Heart of the Sea; The Wave; A Perfect Day; Sicario; Hateful Eight; Beasts of No Nation

So many good films to see still.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)