Maurizio Sarri (36 Viewers)

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Anyways this is conundrum is only when Dybala is starting, which he should do alot in current form, but with Higauin and Costa back, I forsee both those might be starting over Dybala a bit, and then it will be traditional 4-3-3.
Yep.

Sarri won't bench Higuain especially after stating yesterday that we were missing a CF. No one on our team currently plays that role (and what sarri requests) of a CF better than Higuain. You don't bench Ronaldo, obviously. So that leads us to Dybala. We have Bernie & Costa both fit, so what happens and its gonna end up falling on which one is producing goals/assists the most...as it should. That alone would demote Bernie back to the bench. What happens when Ramsey is played closer to goal or behind the strikers?

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
What do they mean by pussy football? If they mean closing up shop and sitting deep once we take a lead and have passed the 60 minute mark, then at least we're not doing that anymore.

We're still mostly using Khedira and Matuidi in midfield and have seen "better football" (more possession and quicker forward passing) in fits and starts. But yeah, still most of the time it looks like last year's team.
my point was that dont expect a big difference between the two when using the same players. Allegri played mpre watchable football when he had better players in the center.

Hopefully sarri can accomplish that with ramsey and rabiot but i look back at the games against lokomotiv, lecce and genoa and we were shit. there was no vintage attacking football lol

Jun 6, 2015
Please find me a quote where I praised Sarri for the Genoa game
Accepting then, but that's not the point I was making anyway. Double standards are used by most by people on this forum and you yourself are as guilty of using them as the people you were laughing at. It's quite easy to make stuff fit a predetermined narrative.

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018
Yep.

Sarri won't bench Higuain especially after stating yesterday that we were missing a CF. No one on our team currently plays that role (and what sarri requests) of a CF better than Higuain. You don't bench Ronaldo, obviously. So that leads us to Dybala. We have Bernie & Costa both fit, so what happens and its gonna end up falling on which one is producing goals/assists the most...as it should. That alone would demote Bernie back to the bench. What happens when Ramsey is played closer to goal or behind the strikers?
Well we could try Ronaldo as forward for once he plays that role for portugal flanked by felix/Silva. Ronaldo is left on a island on that left side alot of the time.

Jun 6, 2015
And the same people that used to praise Allegri for it are now bashing Sarri? Just asking, haven't really paid attention, but it's probably like that.

Just like how individual errors and players missing chances is an acceptable excuse or not, depending on your agenda.
There have been quite a few loud members around here during the last two seasons that were quite adamant that everything was Allegri's fault. It's no surprise that people won't now accept that nothing is Sarri's fault.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Maybe we could all try to be a little more mature about it :boh: Its not an irrelevant discussion. Sarri replaced Allegri in a highly controversial move and change of direction. In Allegri's last season he also had a very similar squad to Sarri.

If we are judging how good Sarri is, whether is was the correct decision to appoint him, it is sensible to compare him to Allegri and possible to do so without being a sourpuss little shitbag about it.

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
What do they mean by pussy football? If they mean closing up shop and sitting deep once we take a lead and have passed the 60 minute mark, then at least we're not doing that anymore.

We're still mostly using Khedira and Matuidi in midfield and have seen "better football" (more possession and quicker forward passing) in fits and starts. But yeah, still most of the time it looks like last year's team.
The allegri pussy football narrative comes from his decision making when we had the advantage or when we played against opponents equal to us.He somehow most of the time chose to introduce a defensive minded player to try to keep the result.Now I dont't say that he was right or wrong in his choices since i am not a coach and hindsight is 20/20 but that's were the narrative is coming from. Some decisions down the years:
- chosing to sub morata at 1-2 or 0-2 ?? with Bayern;
- chosing to start Barzagli as a right back in the real Madrid final;
- playing a defensive minded game against napoli in that 0 1 loss
- bringing in barzagli at 1 0 against man utd at home
- chosing to start de sciglio as a right back against ajax.
There are probably more and there are instances where it worked and we managed to secure the result
He wasn't a defensive coach, far from it. He was a pure pragmatist, results above all else. He embodied "lo stilo juve" and that's why he is a legend.

Ps. I hope that somehow sarri is going to do equal or better than max. I ain't ready to throw him under the bus , but the last 3 matches doesn't give me a lot of confidence and the enthusiasm I had at the start of the new season is almost gone.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The "pussy football" thing was fine in a sporting sense as long as we could step up in the important CL games, but Ajax showed that this wasn't the case, we couldn't find an extra gear, and some of the blame goes to playing in a low gear for many weeks of the year.

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
I don’t really see Ronaldo as best utilized. But it’s obvious that lack of width makes us very predictable. You don’t have to permanently switch to 433 but stating this narrow is silly.
It's tough because Ronaldo doesn't have the agility that he used to have. From the left wing he used to be able to destroy defenders off the dribble with explosiveness and power. He still has power and pace but he has lost some of that agility. So I guess the idea is that playing him as a striker rather than LW allows him to poach more, and puts him naturally in central spaces where he is dangerous.

The narrowness is a problem, and it puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks. It would help a lot with an elite CAM though, adding a bit of unpredictability. https://en.onefootball.com/the-false-ten-explained/ A false 10 would probably be useful. Unfortunately Bernardeschi while mobile and energetic is VERY PREDICTABLE. It would also help if our CMs were more mobile as well.

We played a 4-3-1-2 with Allegri before but our CMs were Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio. Those players had the mobility and work rate to cover for fullbacks (Pogba less work rate), and were comfortable adding width as needed as well. Khedira is not that. Matuidi is almost that except he is poor on the ball. Ramsey if healthy could be that.

Honestly if Bernardeschi had a bit more creative flair, Matuidi was better on the ball and Khedira's legs still worked, I think the predictability problem would be gone. Also Alex Sandro isn't your classic uber offensive fullback. He's great but if you're looking at just attacking ability there are better suited for adding width. Although I don't think it is worth it to sacrifice Sandro's all around ability for a guy who might be better going forward but is a liability defensively (ala Marcelo). It's so annoying that at first we had an elite midfield with average strikers, and now every position except the midfield is elite!

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It's tough because Ronaldo doesn't have the agility that he used to have. From the left wing he used to be able to destroy defenders off the dribble with explosiveness and power. He still has power and pace but he has lost some of that agility. So I guess the idea is that playing him as a striker rather than LW allows him to poach more, and puts him naturally in central spaces where he is dangerous.

The narrowness is a problem, and it puts a lot of pressure on the fullbacks. It would help a lot with an elite CAM though, adding a bit of unpredictability. https://en.onefootball.com/the-false-ten-explained/ A false 10 would probably be useful. Unfortunately Bernardeschi while mobile and energetic is VERY PREDICTABLE. It would also help if our CMs were more mobile as well.

We played a 4-3-1-2 with Allegri before but our CMs were Pogba, Vidal, Marchisio. Those players had the mobility and work rate to cover for fullbacks (Pogba less work rate), and were comfortable adding width as needed as well. Khedira is not that. Matuidi is almost that except he is poor on the ball. Ramsey if healthy could be that.

Honestly if Bernardeschi had a bit more creative flair, Matuidi was better on the ball and Khedira's legs still worked, I think the predictability problem would be gone. Also Alex Sandro isn't your classic uber offensive fullback. He's great but if you're looking at just attacking ability there are better suited for adding width. Although I don't think it is worth it to sacrifice Sandro's all around ability for a guy who might be better going forward but is a liability defensively (ala Marcelo). It's so annoying that at first we had an elite midfield with average strikers, and now every position except the midfield is elite!
LOL at the Khedira line.

I think that's a huge set-back for us. Matuidi does nothing for our attack. You can see it every time the ball is passed to him, it takes 100% concentration on his part to not fuck up his first touch, whereas its more natural for other field players. Sami, once every 4 months scores or assists a couple but our midfield's technical ability really hinders our attack. Aside from Pjanic, you can't really depend on the others to contribute to attack with the exception of a healthy Ramsey.

- - - Updated - - -

The "pussy football" thing was fine in a sporting sense as long as we could step up in the important CL games, but Ajax showed that this wasn't the case, we couldn't find an extra gear, and some of the blame goes to playing in a low gear for many weeks of the year.
Max reached his limit with us. A change was right IMO. Nothing wrong with a club trying to change gears themselves and shake things up. Jury is still out for Sarri. Even if some here are dedicated Judge & Jury already without seeing all the evidence. They had everything they needed to make up their minds even before he signed a contract here.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe we could all try to be a little more mature about it
Fat chance of that happening.

Last edited:

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
LOL at the Khedira line.

I think that's a huge set-back for us. Matuidi does nothing for our attack. You can see it every time the ball is passed to him, it takes 100% concentration on his part to no fuck his first touch up, whereas its ore natural for other field players. Sami, once every 4 months scores or assists a couple but our midfield's technical ability really hinders our attack. Aside from Pjanic, you can't really depend on the others to contribute to attack with the exception of a healthy Ramsey.

- - - Updated - - -

Max reached his limit with us. A change was right IMO. Nothing wrong with a club trying to change gears themselves and shake things up. Jury is still out for Sarri. Even if some here are dedicated Judge & Jury already without seeing all the evidence. They had everything they needed to make up their minds even before he signed a contract here.

- - - Updated - - -

Fat chance of that happening.
Totally, he's so frustrating because he's elite in everything but technical ability. He's great defensively, his work rate is awesome, he pressed well, he defends well, his vision is actually very underrated as well. Occasionally he plays very clever passes but it's usually obfuscated by his horrible technical ability. His shot is below average, his passes aren't done with great technique, and his dribbling is....well....let's just say that Sarri ball doesn't play to his strengths. He has successfully dribbled 2x this year, and attempted 11x. (well at least it is better than Khedira who tried to beat his man twice this year and failed both times). Compare that to Allan under Sarri who completed 91 out of 134

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Totally, he's so frustrating because he's elite in everything but technical ability. He's great defensively, his work rate is awesome, he pressed well, he defends well, his vision is actually very underrated as well. Occasionally he plays very clever passes but it's usually obfuscated by his horrible technical ability. His shot is below average, his passes aren't done with great technique, and his dribbling is....well....let's just say that Sarri ball doesn't play to his strengths. He has successfully dribbled 2x this year, and attempted 11x. (well at least it is better than Khedira who tried to beat his man twice this year and failed both times). Compare that to Allan under Sarri who completed 91 out of 134
100% :tup:

- - - Updated - - -

------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)