Maurizio Sarri (242 Viewers)

IlCapitano

Dec 16, 2012
The problem with this forums is that I’ve said a lot of stupid shit in the past and no one ever lets me forget it. :agree:

To answer your question, our current xG in Serie A is 1.964 expected goals per game.

2018/19 - 1.698
2017/18 - 1.559
2016/17 - 1.809
2015/16 - 1.658
2014/15 - 1.555
Oh shit he actually did it :D

Good for you, someone should really hire you. You'd blow everyone's expectations away.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
By the way, I’m not denying that we clearly need to improve, because our football is devoid of ideas at the moment. We get the ball to the opponents box and then overcomplicate things when we should be more direct. We lack width as we don’t play with wingers and even Sandro tucks inside often. The intensity of our pressing has also decreased since the game against Inter.

However, some of the people calling for Sarri’s head because we “only” managed to grind out a result against a team like Genoa are seriously lacking self-awareness.
Says the guy who called for Allegri’s head (as well as calling him a pussy and coward) almost every time we “only” managed to grind out a result against a team like Genoa.

Yes, you are the King of self-awareness :lol3:

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Anyways, I'm guessing Sarri is favouring the 4-3-1-2 because it's easier for Ronaldo and Dybala to counter press in this formation. In a wider formation, they are in too much open space and have to run too far to press. They can't do it or they can and they're tired in 10 minutes. Our team is too stretched out and we lose our shape.

At least when we lose the ball in the middle, our whole team is already there to recover it quickly. I think this formation has actually improved that aspect of our team from the 4-3-3.

Offensively, we are keeping possession fine but the opponent can defend easier because it's so narrow. If they don't have to stretch laterally, there is less room for dangerous runs through the middle.

I keep wondering if/when we start to use Juan and AS way higher up the field. If you are going to start Matuidi and Khedira every match, then they should be used to cover the fullbacks more often. This is the only way we can put the ball into dangerous wide areas.

I think Sarri is actually too conservative right now with the fullbacks. The idea that the weak side fullback has to tuck into a back 3 is too rigid IMO. There are so many times when we switch the play and the fullback can take the whole side of the field for himself but he's stuck back beside the CBs.

For example, Juan could have the ball in an advanced area somewhere in midfield, and our team is so narrow so the opponent follows naturally. But then we switch the ball across the backline from Bonucci to the LCB and the whole left side of the pitch will be open. But AS will be in line with the CBs still.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
...I keep wondering if/when we start to use Juan and AS way higher up the field...
juan certainly. i checked some available data of the lokomotiv match, and that confirmed what we saw: juve played a weird asymmetrical system there. our left side rarely attacked, it was cuadrado, pjanic and khedira who pushed in plenty of crosses. the team attempted 34 crosses, and only 7 (of which 1 was a corner) came from the left side, 4 from sandro. so we tried to cross the ball onto cr's head from the right. it made sense in a way, but it proved to be ineffective. a bit ironic that the winner goal came after a long range sandy shot eventually. 34 crosses, that's a lot. in the league, napoli, inda and genoa are the teams that rely most on crosses, and they all average 22 crosses per games.

(i get that mandzukic is in a delicate situation, but on occasions when we rely so much on crosses, we could still use him. not on cl nights, obviously. anyway, he's the second best header in the squad after cr. i checked some weeks ago, higuain and dybala have only 3 headed goals at juve between them, so it's either cr or nobody when it comes to headers...)

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
juan certainly. i checked some available data of the lokomotiv match, and that confirmed what we saw: juve played a weird asymmetrical system there. our left side rarely attacked, it was cuadrado, pjanic and khedira who pushed in plenty of crosses. the team attempted 34 crosses, and only 7 (of which 1 was a corner) came from the left side, 4 from sandro. so we tried to cross the ball onto cr's head from the right. it made sense in a way, but it proved to be ineffective. a bit ironic that the winner goal came after a long range sandy shot eventually. 34 crosses, that's a lot. in the league, napoli, inda and genoa are the teams that rely most on crosses, and they all average 22 crosses per games.

(i get that mandzukic is in a delicate situation, but on occasions when we rely so much on crosses, we could still use him. not on cl nights, obviously. anyway, he's the second best header in the squad after cr. i checked some weeks ago, higuain and dybala have only 3 headed goals at juve between them, so it's either cr or nobody when it comes to headers...)
Do you have stats on crosses during this season Vs last season

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
One good thing about Sarri is that he realized Mandzukic is deadwood that should be sold ASAP.

Poslano sa mog SM-J530F koristeći Tapatalk

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Sarri said that we'll be using 4-3-1-2 moving forward as 4-3-3 penalised Ronaldo and Dybala, and that Douglas Costa will be trained to play TQ.
We should definitely take advantage of bernardeschi's "strengths" :sergio:
Hope Ramsey comes good at least.
The result grinding with the 4 3 1 2 looks to continue.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Grinding out wins isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What bothers me the most so far is that we're no longer a very solid, difficult to break down team. And it doesn't look like we've gained anything by giving this up.
Still early days, I guess, but something just doesn't feel right. If you think we were boring to watch before, then I can't even begin to imagine what we are today.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Did he say that we missed Higuain cos he’s our only forward??? Is Mandzukic on milk cartons these days!!!? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

One good thing about Sarri is that he realized Mandzukic is deadwood that should be sold ASAP.

Poslano sa mog SM-J530F koristeći Tapatalk
The guy can still seriously do a decent job. Being frozen out like this whilst not having Higuain is a criminal offence.
I blame Allegri.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
Did he say that we missed Higuain cos he’s our only forward??? Is Mandzukic on milk cartons these days!!!? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

The guy can still seriously do a decent job. Being frozen out like this whilst not having Higuain is a criminal offence.
I blame Allegri.
He has a point though especially with the way he uses the CF to hold the ball up. Higuain does that well because it gets the other attackers involved. I wonder if Bernie would have even played if he had used Higuain.

It is clear that when fit Higuain will play and so will ronaldo. That third spot is completely up in the air now that Costa is back.

dolph

Mar 30, 2006
Anyways, I'm guessing Sarri is favouring the 4-3-1-2 because it's easier for Ronaldo and Dybala to counter press in this formation. In a wider formation, they are in too much open space and have to run too far to press. They can't do it or they can and they're tired in 10 minutes. Our team is too stretched out and we lose our shape.

At least when we lose the ball in the middle, our whole team is already there to recover it quickly. I think this formation has actually improved that aspect of our team from the 4-3-3.

Offensively, we are keeping possession fine but the opponent can defend easier because it's so narrow. If they don't have to stretch laterally, there is less room for dangerous runs through the middle.

I keep wondering if/when we start to use Juan and AS way higher up the field. If you are going to start Matuidi and Khedira every match, then they should be used to cover the fullbacks more often. This is the only way we can put the ball into dangerous wide areas.

I think Sarri is actually too conservative right now with the fullbacks. The idea that the weak side fullback has to tuck into a back 3 is too rigid IMO. There are so many times when we switch the play and the fullback can take the whole side of the field for himself but he's stuck back beside the CBs.

For example, Juan could have the ball in an advanced area somewhere in midfield, and our team is so narrow so the opponent follows naturally. But then we switch the ball across the backline from Bonucci to the LCB and the whole left side of the pitch will be open. But AS will be in line with the CBs still.
I think having Costa as a AM, moving more to the left, will fix the unbalanced formation. I think having Cuadrado as RB gives us plenty of threat on the right, and having Costa drifting left will create more space in the center.
I kind of see why Sarri is persisting with the 4-3-1-2, with only one real winger in the squad, who is often injured. At the same time Ronaldo and Dybala is a better fit for a front two at this point in time.
However I can’t figure out why he keeps starting Khedira and Matuidi. Right now their contribution is limited, while better players are on the bench.

juve123

Aug 10, 2017
He has a point though especially with the way he uses the CF to hold the ball up. Higuain does that well because it gets the other attackers involved. I wonder if Bernie would have even played if he had used Higuain.

It is clear that when fit Higuain will play and so will ronaldo. That third spot is completely up in the air now that Costa is back.
Higuain Ronaldo and dybala should all start in 4-3-1-2 formation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 228)