Luciano Moggi (16 Viewers)

Shall we move Moggi's thread to the [Legend] section?

• Yes, move it to the legend section

• No, it shouldn't, keep it as it is

• I don't care/Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No, he was 28 and he was one of the best CM/DM in the world. And we signed him from a direct rival. Wonderful job he did.
So, what was a better peice of business, then.

Emerson and Vieira for 25 million and 18 million, or Vidal, Pogba, and Pirlo for a combined 12 million.

And let's keep in mind that those 25 million and 18 million are from 8 years ago, so who knows what it would be now with inflation.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and one more thing. Was Emerson really THAT much better than Davids, to the point where they had to shell out that type of money for him?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
So, what was a better peice of business, then.

Emerson and Vieira for 25 million and 18 million, or Vidal, Pogba, and Pirlo for a combined 12 million.

And let's keep in mind that those 25 million and 18 million are from 8 years ago, so who knows what it would be now with inflation.
You asked someone to list you WC player that Moggi brought and that's all I did here buddy. Now if we're gonna list names I might ask you Zidane for 5m euros in 1996, and sold later on for 75m, has there been any better piece of business since?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's simple:

People don't give Marotta enough credit for some of the signings

People tend to ignore failures that Moggi had

Try to find some middle ground folks. Moggi was great, but after everything, it's not like Marotta is garbage. Marotta is yet to prove himself, possibly this summer if we sell Pogba. We'll see how he handles 50mln on the market, but I doubt he's gonna screw things up like Secco did.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You asked someone to list you WC player that Moggi brought and that's all I did here buddy. Now if we're gonna list names I might ask you Zidane for 5m euros in 1996, and sold later on for 75m, is there any better piece of business since?
But take a look at how much it cost for him to bring those two players in.

Please don't make it seem as if he brought in those players for peanuts, because he absoluitely did not. And again, if it was Marotta that made those two signings, for those positions, at that type of money, he would be crucified for it.

And I am going to debate that Vieira and Emerson were World Class at the time when they were bought. Vieira had already started to decline at the time he was pruchased, and I remeber this forum, fo rthe most part, being up in arms that Emerson was purchased for thaqt amount of money.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Oh, and one more thing. Was Emerson really THAT much better than Davids, to the point where they had to shell out that type of money for him?
Yes, back then he was THAT much better. Considering that he played for ROMA, our rival, one of the best, if not the best player in his position, you can't expect to get that kind of player for a bargain.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
and i doubt even more his legacy will match moggi's. Marotta's good, but not moggi good.
But no one is saying that he is.

At least I hope not.

I just find it funny that everyone thinks that Moggi had absolutely no money to work with, ever, and that the world class players that were here during his time were acquired for pennies on the dollar, because that is absolutely not true.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Yes, back then he was THAT much better. Considering that he played for ROMA, our rival, one of the best, if not the best player in his position, you can't expect to get that kind of player for a bargain.
So, the reason why he was purchased for so much money back then was because he played for Roma as much as it was because of the player himself.

Hmmmm.

So, in essence, he overpaid. Considering that there had to have been players of equal stature that would have cost less because "they didn't play for Roma".

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
B
And I am going to debate that Vieira and Emerson were World Class at the time when they were bought. Vieira had already started to decline at the time he was pruchased, and I remeber this forum, fo rthe most part, being up in arms that Emerson was purchased for thaqt amount of money.
Is this relevant?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
So, the reason why he was purchased for so much money back then was because he played for Roma as much as it was because of the player himself.

Hmmmm.

So, in essence, he overpaid. Considering that there had to have been players of equal stature that would have cost less because "they didn't play for Roma".
No, he didn't over pay. The Emerson saga lasted whole summer and Roma got shorter stick in the end. Player became depressed, as he wanted a move here, Capello and Zebina came before, and refused to appear for training sessions. Back then Roma for Emerson could've easily fetched +35m, but he wanted to move to Juve. The point is 25m for a player of Emerson's quality was a good job and the fact he played for our rival makes it even a better one.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
No, he didn't over pay. The Emerson saga lasted whole summer and Roma got shorter stick in the end. Player became depressed, as he wanted a move here, Capelllo and Zebina came before, and refused to appear for training session. Back then Roma for Emerson could've easily fetched +35m.
A 28 year old DM costing 25 million back then (10 years ago), is a LOT of money, regardless.

A pricetag that most people in Juve World would flip their collective wigs if Marotta had done now.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
A 28 year old DM costing 25 million back then (10 years ago), is a LOT of money, regardless.

A pricetag that most people in Juve World would flip their collective wigs if Marotta had done now.
We're debating over trivialities, but I actually agree with what you've said before:
Anyway, the moral of the story is that Moggi was great (which he was), and Marotta has work to do to get to that level. But, all in all, considering that in his 4th season as DG, they have had one bad 1/2 season (his first), I think that he will get there.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
The real question is, can Marotta help us to the next level and make us true Europ heavyweights? :D

Is it even possible given our financial constraints and the handicap of being in Serie A?

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Vieira was past it when he signed,was an unnecessary signing at the time and for 18 million to boot.
Why you talking about past it? Only a year before Arsenal turned down 25-30m from Madrid. At the time he was one of the best around in his role. Admittedly a tad close to 30 but still got lured dispite Reals last min attempt to snatch him. Moggi knew his shiit. But let's not forget I'm loving everything Beppe done for us. But out of the two I'll take Moggi. He looks more gangster.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
The real question is, can Marotta help us to the next level and make us true Europ heavyweights? :D

Is it even possible given our financial constraints and the handicap of being in Serie A?
That is a tough question, because in order for it to happen, I think that juve will keep having to fish into the Tevez/Pogba/Llorente type waters for the next couple of years in order to do that.

The growth has to be gradual. Young players are going to have to be brought in to supplement the more expensive signings, and that is why we are seeing so much more of a focus on younger talents throughout Italy and those who are sent to other leagues as well.

Juve can't afford a 30 million euro mistake. It would cripple them. For teams such as PSG, RM, Barcelona, it's just a write off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)