Linux for your taste (sorry Naw :D) (13 Viewers)

What OS do you use?

• Windows

• Linux

• Mac

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
didnt know this thread exists :D

so i have one of those old acer netbooks, running xp, flying arround.
it is old as fuck but still works properly and i use it mostly on holidays
to do some photoshop. would you advice me to use ubuntu instead?
i am a total linux newbie, can i run windows programms on it?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
It could be that the wifi driver is flaky. Try using "lspci" to find out what kind of hardware it is and google around for arch + [that]. "dmesg" might also provide some clues.

I've never used Arch myself.

Is it coursera or something?
Nope it's not coursera. It's a course in a college.
I see it's a Broadcom BCM43225 will do the google.

icemaη;5087182 said:
Can you paste the output of this into pastebin or something?
journalctl -r -u NetworkManager --lines=250 --nopager
@Iceman --nopager option not working. How do I paste the output into a file & copy it over to the computer am using which has internet?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
didnt know this thread exists :D

so i have one of those old acer netbooks, running xp, flying arround.
it is old as fuck but still works properly and i use it mostly on holidays
to do some photoshop. would you advice me to use ubuntu instead?
i am a total linux newbie, can i run windows programms on it?

You can using wine but I never liked it or never thought they run as stable as native Linux applications. You can run a virtual machine and install windows on it, any windows and it works really good but I think proper virtual machines cost a penny to install.

The third option you have is install a Linux distro and learn and use GIMP and you will not miss photoshop.,

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Here you go :) Had to change name to nm.txt as .log is not allowed.
Can you run
systemctl --type=service
and see if you have wicd or netctl showing up as active other than NetworkManager? (The service name might show up as netctl<someotherletters>.service). Having more than one daemon for network management causes issues. The disconnecting error (reason -3) is not very helpful sadly.
Also it might be worth confirming that your username is part of the network group.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
Asif showing off :D
:D I'm almost out of ideas :p
I switched to Manjaro, which is an Arch based distro, a few months back. I haven't switched to anything else since. I wish I had the time to build Arch from scratch like Ali. Even if I had the time I'm sure the wife won't appreciate days of downtime on the home PC. I've a knack for picking the rare times she wants to use the computer to break my OS :p

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
icema&#951;;5087471 said:
Can you run
systemctl --type=service
and see if you have wicd or netctl showing up as active other than NetworkManager? (The service name might show up as netctl<someotherletters>.service). Having more than one daemon for network management causes issues. The disconnecting error (reason -3) is not very helpful sadly.
Also it might be worth confirming that your username is part of the network group.
Will do tomorrow, already in bed watching the melt down.
I saw netctl somewhere, can't remember where & thanks for the help.

icemaη

Aug 27, 2008
What's the advantage of Arch over Debian based?
I had performance issues with Ubuntu/Mint and I tried a bunch of other distros and finally settled on Manjaro. I don't think Arch has any particular advantage over Debian. Or at least one that is particularly important to me. It's just that I want to learn to build an OS from scratch and Arch seems like a good choice. It has excellent docs (and a good, if sometimes snobbish, community).

Will do tomorrow, already in bed watching the melt down.
I saw netctl somewhere, can't remember where & thanks for the help.
:tup:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
What's the advantage of Arch over Debian based?
What was your favourite distro? I can't remember its name. It was great and the package manager was by far the best I've used but damn what a pain it was to install it. Sabayon was a good alternative but I thought it was heavy on the machine.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
What was your favourite distro? I can't remember its name. It was great and the package manager was by far the best I've used but damn what a pain it was to install it. Sabayon was a good alternative but I thought it was heavy on the machine.
You're talking about Gentoo? Those were the days.

I have been Ubuntu for what feels like ages now. Still KDE, keeping it simple.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
You're talking about Gentoo? Those were the days.

I have been Ubuntu for what feels like ages now. Still KDE, keeping it simple.
Yes Gentoo. Well me too, I have been on Ubuntu for years now but I use Cinnamon. I ditched KDE after lots of struggle with KDE 4. KDE 3 is still my favourite desktop environment until now.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
@Iceman I solved it. :D
This is what I did:

systemctl stop NetworkManager
wpa_passphrase MySSID MyPass-Key > mywifi.conf
wpa_supplicant -iwlp2s0 -cmywifi.conf

@Martin @Iceman Thank you for the help. You can be sure I will calling on you guys again.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Sooo my ubuntu install was starting to feel sluggish. High CPU spikes in chrome when viewing youtube, chrome feeling sluggish.

Decided to upgrade from 14.04 LTS to 15.10, cause that would fix it, right? (Spoiler alert: not.)

Turns out 15.10 does not work properly (neither Unity nor KDE - plasma doesn't even start) at all - either the nvidia driver is fecked or nouveau is or... I don't really care which.

Gave up trying to get a working ubuntu and now I'm a Linux Mint newbie, running MATE.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)