Is this the dip? (2 Viewers)

Thunderball

May 4, 2007
Call me crazy, but I honestly think we will win Serie A next season.
I genuinely think its still a possibility, depending on who we see lifting the Juventus jersey this summer. A few smart signings, and Juventus is the definite third place team, and with a little luck, who knows... Serie A will be very close next season. (I'm not totally convinced Roma is a whole lot better, especially assuming Juve will be splashing out a lot more cash than they can/will).

Inter, AC, Roma and Fiorentina will be busy with Europe, Juve might just have some advantage with that. I think they most likely end up in the 3rd to 5th place range.

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
Milan has an ageing squad, and I am not sure they will be able to last the pace of the all the competitions next season, especially they will be playing Intercontiental cup in Decemeber time.

Inter squad is the best in Serie A, but player for player they have no mental toughness, now Ibra and Adriano are looking to leave there, that's leaves their attack in ruins.

Roma is the team I really rate this season and next season, Solid Defence with Chivu and Mexes, Midfielder with pace and power, Mancini, Perrotta, Taddei etc, lacking a target man and goal scorer, but with Totti on form, they don't need it !

So I think Roma will be our biggest rival next season, and we will finish above Inter for sure !!!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Well the answer to the question, this thread asks is yes. Things are certainly beginning to loosen up on the upper echelons of Juve's management. To me, they quite clearly seem like a bunch of lost, confused and incompetent people when it comes to managing a football club of this stature. The amateurish attitude couldnt be better highlighted than in their behaviour of the past two weeks. Letting go of Deschamps, who I was'nt ever in favour of for the Serie A (but that's a totally different story) to now appointing a coach everybody has heard of, just for that very reason. Ranieri is the kind of coach Moggi and co. would've never hired in their time. Why? Because they knew achieving success needs a lot more than just a prominent name. The credentials Ranieri brings to the table are not what you'd hope for at Juve, especially at this point in our cycle. Claudio at best, is a midtable coach and nothing could hamper our progress more than his incapability which should complement that of the management almost perfectly. So without trying to sound like the prophet of doom, what we could've achieved a lot sooner under a better fitting coach with a clever transfer strategy will now be slowed down just as much thanks to a board - that's making me feel like it's going to be a while before we earn our stripes again.

Edge

Jun 14, 2004
Not sure I agree with you Baggio, but I get your point completely. I too, is very disappointed with our management team, the lacking of a proper vision, no wonder Buffon wanting to leave, he knows things aren't great at the top. But I think we will be fine with Ranieri, its the players who are currently in the squad that is going to decide how we do next season, its not all down to the coach alone.

I wish Juve can elect their President by their members, i.e. fans, just like Barcelona and Real Madrid, that's a pretty good system, but its not gonna happen in Italy.

Jul 2, 2006
We havent aged squad,if we are aged,wtf is milan(average age 40)

our average age is 27

With Sissoko and some youngsters,it will be around 25-26

dont worry,we lost world champions but we learned they are not man
Juventus need man!

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Not sure I agree with you Baggio, but I get your point completely. I too, is very disappointed with our management team, the lacking of a proper vision, no wonder Buffon wanting to leave, he knows things aren't great at the top. But I think we will be fine with Ranieri, its the players who are currently in the squad that is going to decide how we do next season, its not all down to the coach alone.

I wish Juve can elect their President by their members, i.e. fans, just like Barcelona and Real Madrid, that's a pretty good system, but its not gonna happen in Italy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the overall mentality that's prevelant in the boardroom, and on the coach's bench often trickles down onto the field. We've seen that happen at Roma, Inter and even Milan. Never thought it would happen at Juventus. That said, what I hold most against Ranieri is his 'we'll settle for second best' attitude which has often been demonstrated in his time at Chelsea and Valencia. It seems unlikely that a coach with his midtable mentality will be able to inspire and earn the respect of players of the calibre of Buffon and co. which in turn could lead to unmotivated performances on the pitch. Of course, nothing would make me happier than the tinkerman proving me wrong. It's just that when you're a winning team, your winning habit needs a consistency of ideas and thoughts that can only come from the man on the bench. Someone who has that little bit extra in his personality. Claudio Ranieri, I'm sorry to say is not that man.

petersmit

Mar 14, 2006
we must build a team to the future.... thats why we need to keep bojinov, palla, giovinco chielinni and criscito.. :) signing one or two talented players like huntelaar or something like that will help us even more... so lets hope we sign some players like that :)

Jul 24, 2006
No, Serie B was a forced thing, it wasn't the end of a cycle per se. It's not really a relevant season at all, we were forced to B and so we did, that's that. Now we're back in Serie A and "the game is back on". Imagine we were never in B, we had the exact same squad as we do now, I'd be asking the same question.

Soon as in sort-of-soon or very-soon? Soon enough? How soon is soon?
Yeah I guess I'm not technically taking your point on the 'dip' thing..

Overall I just feel quite buoyant about our future and see the positives from this ordeal. I dunno about you but I had started to feel disconnected from Juve under Capello. Players like Vieira were taking us in a direction away from what I loved before - Juve making champions rather than buying them.

So if we rebuild in a new 'sporting spirit' with youngsters and loyal veterans (while you could argue a dip formwise will come that is yet to be seen) as a sporting philosophy I much prefer it to recent years and it makes Juve distinct once more from other 'Superclubs'.

We have our identity back now and the spirit the team will gain from this will lead us back up the table. Exactly how soon? Obv I don't know but I think CL spot next year is well within the club's capabilities..

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #55
    Yeah I guess I'm not technically taking your point on the 'dip' thing..

Overall I just feel quite buoyant about our future and see the positives from this ordeal. I dunno about you but I had started to feel disconnected from Juve under Capello. Players like Vieira were taking us in a direction away from what I loved before - Juve making champions rather than buying them.

So if we rebuild in a new 'sporting spirit' with youngsters and loyal veterans (while you could argue a dip formwise will come that is yet to be seen) as a sporting philosophy I much prefer it to recent years and it makes Juve distinct once more from other 'Superclubs'.

We have our identity back now and the spirit the team will gain from this will lead us back up the table. Exactly how soon? Obv I don't know but I think CL spot next year is well within the club's capabilities..
    When I say "dip" I do mean form wise. So if you think we're heading for a nicer football style, better locker room atmosphere or whatever, that I consider irrelevant to the question. I certainly agree that Capello's Juve, results excluded, was very far from what most of us would want. But knowing how this club is strictly result oriented (at least for as long as I've been around), I think that's our main concern anyway.

As for whether other positive factors will follow, that may deserve its own discussion.

Jul 24, 2006
    When I say "dip" I do mean form wise. So if you think we're heading for a nicer football style, better locker room atmosphere or whatever, that I consider irrelevant to the question. I certainly agree that Capello's Juve, results excluded, was very far from what most of us would want. But knowing how this club is strictly result oriented (at least for as long as I've been around), I think that's our main concern anyway.

As for whether other positive factors will follow, that may deserve its own discussion.
    Agreed.

My point is that it's the "results-first" mentality that got us into this SerieB and this whole 'dip' discussion in the first place!

So I feel that this mentality's eradication is the first step to rediscovering form in the long run..

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Let's assume we don't win the league next season, can we all imagine that? Let's say we go back to winning after that, so scudetto in 08/09. Then this is our current squad at the start of 08/09:

Buffon 30
    Nedved 36
    Camoranesi 32
    Del Piero 34
    Trezeguet 31

Those are also the only flagship players we have left. Can you honestly hope for big success here?
    Those ages read like a Milanese defence, and we all know how rubbish Milan... oh.

Thing is, Juve is wealthy, enough so to bring in a couple of big players a year. Two years time might see the squad in a strong position again, or not. It's very difficult to judge just yet. The acid test for me is the first few months of the coming season. The players outside that core of Buffon and so on are either a decent framework you can hang a couple of stars on to make a title winning team, or they're a weight around the neck of such players. The former makes rebuilding relatively quick, the latter very slow.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
    first of all, martin this is a great post andu r spot on we r already in a dip but it has'nt started this season. i strongly believe it started with juve's last season in seria A in particular during the month of april last year. its true juventus won the title last season and set a new record with the games won with out loss as we won the title with just one loss which was against ac - milan. the dip in my opinion was the simple fact that we had huge names yet an aging group of players like viera, emerson, cannavaro...etc. this age factor which may seem less important in seria B was our down fall when it came to finishing off the season, first we had to witness the team shatter against arsenal in the cl, and then we wrapped up the league with some disappointing draws against teams we could've demoltished yet we always accepted the draw and were on the verge of losing the title to milan who started gathering valuable points that we in the first place dropped on our way to the title. after that it was obvious juventus needed some serious face lift and we were on our way to do that but got stumbled with the seria B crisis that completely changed our objectives, goals, and entire plans. i think juventus has the resources to come out of this seria B experience with great lessons and i am pretty sure juventus can return back to there previous spot but this requires alot of patience from us fans and alot of hard work from the board, the coach, and the players only then will we get out of this dip. and name jus tone team that does'nt face years of dryness when it comes to titles. its just normal that big teams usually get slow for some reason e.g manure they ave'nt seen the epl title for a while buit with really hard work and amazing signings they got back on track. this up coming season will def be a motivational season rather than title race season. depending on what happens this season we can built for the up coming season ahead. should juventus finish with a cl spot i guarntee there is no stopping juventus as the players and fans would be hungry for the title and who knows may be some impressive preformances come the cl. i am sure juventus will get past this dip as soon as possible bec juventus still remains the biggest italian team ever!! forza juventus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    It might be the dip, or it may not be. We just have to be patient and keep supporting Juventus through these difficult times, as that is what supporting a football club is all about. Looking towards the future and dreaming of titles and glory in a realm of uncertainty is one of the painstaking yet enjoyable facets of being a supporter. Juventus will not disappear off the face of the earth and we have years of possible success ahead of us. But one thing is for certain, we will be back to our best sometime down the road. You might win battles against Juventus, but you'll never win the war.

Good post, Martin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)