I'm buying a Macbook Pro - convince me not to (6 Viewers)

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #21
    No notebook is worth $1300 or more

Get a Lenovo, you won't regret it

and its about $700 less than a Mac
    The only Lenovo on the Swedish market which appeals to me is the Thinkpad Edge 13", which costs just €200 less than the Mac. I do like Lenovo, though. My mother has had one for ages and it's still working well.

Burke and I have had our own MacBook Pros for years, and the only real problem we have had was our power cords getting a bit worn. That's about it. Still fast as hell and good to go.

Definitely get it. Best laptop I've ever had.
    Sadomin: GET IT!

I've been in to computers since my parents first got one when I was 12. Always used windows, while i was never computer savvy to the level of Martin, I did get in to the registry, and that sort of thing.

But anyway, I switched to a macbook pro 5 years ago, after my 3 windows laptops all conked out before reaching the 6 month mark. Still have it, and while overclocking the GPU kind of fucked me over, everything else is wonderful. I've loved almost every second of owning this laptop, and again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to tinker, and yes, I run windows XP on it for games

@ Fabiana: 1-button mouse? the new one has no buttons at all. But I agree about lenovo, they are excellent laptops. I even kind of like their design :) of course, i'm biased since I had my grandfathers old IBM laptop for a year. It was made in 1994 I believe, still runs well enough
    It's nice to hear some people with Mac-experiences of their own.

If you buy it, you're a fag.
    I'm gonna let everyone from Stenhagen to Gottsunda know that you bought it and that you're gay. Convincing enough for you? :p
    Will they think I'm a fag when I fuck their sisters?

Buy on AliExpress.com

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    :agree:

What Lenovo lacks in design it makes up for in performance
    Indeed

The lack of consideration for HP concerns me!
    It really should

:lol:

He's a company man now

The only Lenovo on the Swedish market which appeals to me is the Thinkpad Edge 13", which costs just €200 less than the Mac. I do like Lenovo, though. My mother has had one for ages and it's still working well.
    Thats the one I want to get as my next personal computer. The new Thinkpad line is going to be epic since they are trying to flood the consumer market. I have 2 Thinkpads, one for work and one as my personal and both are the best computers I've ever owned.

Trust me, you can't go wrong with IBM/Lenovo

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    Sadomin: GET IT!

I've been in to computers since my parents first got one when I was 12. Always used windows, while i was never computer savvy to the level of Martin, I did get in to the registry, and that sort of thing.

But anyway, I switched to a macbook pro 5 years ago, after my 3 windows laptops all conked out before reaching the 6 month mark. Still have it, and while overclocking the GPU kind of fucked me over, everything else is wonderful. I've loved almost every second of owning this laptop, and again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to tinker, and yes, I run windows XP on it for games

@ Fabiana: 1-button mouse? the new one has no buttons at all. But I agree about lenovo, they are excellent laptops. I even kind of like their design :) of course, i'm biased since I had my grandfathers old IBM laptop for a year. It was made in 1994 I believe, still runs well enough

dont talk to these fools macs rock!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Sadomin made the mistake of asking computer advice on Juventuz. You have a better chance of getting blown up by technological extremists than receiving sound computer info here.

Apr 15, 2006
    It really should

:lol:

He's a company man now
    I don't think so. First, it's not my dept of interest. Second, We sell SO many of them in the US alone, it just doesn't make a difference. EMEA is definitely a region where HP is not a leader. But America provides enough profit anyway.

BTW, I agree with Dru here. Don't listen to the Mac fanboys. Macs are targeted for much wealthier people, and thus are high-priced products. If your needs are small, then it's definitely not worth paying so much for it.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    I haven't said anything negative about Macs, I just don't find the price people pay to be justifiable
    If anything, Mac has the best warranty around. My sister's MacBook Pro's hard drive crapped out (mostly due to her treatment of the computer) and they replaced it free of charge and the tech noticed her keyboard was dirty so they switched that too and even suggested a non-Mac external hard drive for her to use so she avoids over heating issues (she's a photographer and she filled the HD up and then ran it 24/7). When you buy a Mac you don't just by the hardware, you buy into a program of customer service that I've not seen anywhere else. It's the perfect computer if you're not tech savvy or good enough with computers to build your own.

I am however in the market for a Tuffbook in the next six months any suggestions?:D

Apr 15, 2006
    If anything, Mac has the best warranty around. My sister's MacBook Pro's hard drive crapped out (mostly due to her treatment of the computer) and they replaced it free of charge and the tech noticed her keyboard was dirty so they switched that too and even suggested a non-Mac external hard drive for her to use so she avoids over heating issues (she's a photographer and she filled the HD up and then ran it 24/7). When you buy a Mac you don't just by the hardware, you buy into a program of customer service that I've not seen anywhere else. It's the perfect computer if you're not tech savvy or good enough with computers to build your own.

I am however in the market for a Tuffbook in the next six months any suggestions?:D
    Listen to Dru. Get a Lenovo Thinkpad.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Listen to Dru. Get a Lenovo Thinkpad.
    If I can't run it over with a truck I'm not interested.:D

I said Tuffbook as in a Rugged Laptop. I do all kinds of field work in my internship and it would be convenient to be able to put it all on my computer on site. I can't do that with a conventional laptop.

I need something rugged.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    BTW, I agree with Dru here. Don't listen to the Mac fanboys. Macs are targeted for much wealthier people, and thus are high-priced products. If your needs are small, then it's definitely not worth paying so much for it.
    That's an idiotic generalization. Basically you're insulting those who don't buy a Mac in that case, claiming they are poor.

But don't you work with HP? Are you really, truly, unbiased when it comes to this stuff? Come on.

Apr 15, 2006
    Then you'll need to look into the laptops for business purposes. Cos AFAIK, Consumer grade laptops are nowhere close to being as rugged as business or professional grade notebooks. Hell, if you can somehow afford a military grade notebook, then it's the perfect one you'll need. I'll be getting a business class HP Elitebook notebook for work which is quite rugged with excellent hardware. Apparently, then US price is close to $2000. I'm not sure it costs the same in the US though. But if you want excellent hardware, then the price is usually high.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Then you'll need to look into the laptops for business purposes. Cos AFAIK, Consumer grade laptops are nowhere close to being as rugged as business or professional grade notebooks. Hell, if you can somehow afford a military grade notebook, then it's the perfect one you'll need. I'll be getting a business class HP Elitebook notebook for work which is quite rugged with excellent hardware. Apparently, then US price is close to $2000. I'm not sure it costs the same in the US though. But if you want excellent hardware, then the price is usually high.
    Yeah that's the range I'm expecting to pay. It's definitely going to be a must for the field I'm going into. So money isn't the issue. I need to find a company with a good service rating and reliability in their machines. The laptop will more than likely be a graduation present considering the other option is a truck.:D

Apr 15, 2006
    That's an idiotic generalization. Basically you're insulting those who don't buy a Mac in that case, claiming they are poor.

But don't you work with HP? Are you really, truly, unbiased when it comes to this stuff? Come on.
    If Apple really do want to have a wide user base, then they would definitely price their products lower. But some of their products are definitely targeted towards people willing to spend so much for a laptop\desktop. Rightly so, because they have excellent hardware, excellent customer service(which is based on the warranty costs for the product, which is included in the price usually) and excellent software, if not always pre-included. You can't deny that a Mac is a rich-boys' product. I'm insulting everyone that cannot buy it, including myself.

Regardless of whether I work with HP or not, I am biased against Apple. BUT, if Sadomin has said that he wanted a notebook for AV recording or photo processing needs, then believe me, I'd be the first to recommend him a Macbook. But based on his needs, a Mac is just too expensive to be worth it. You may prefer the ease of use, but that's not necessarily what I prefer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)