I'm buying a Macbook Pro - convince me not to (1 Viewer)

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #62
    Yep, that's what I meant by 'it'.

EDIT - So far I'm very pleased that I bought it. Just a few hours of usage though.

The touchpad is magnificent.

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #65
    :D

Funny 'cause it's true. I went to the local Mac store yesterday to buy some kind of shield for the computer and one of the salesmen found out that I had just bought a Mac. Guess what he did? He actually invited me to a "seminar" on Tuesday where I could bring and discuss my new Mac with other users. :p

Geof

May 14, 2004
    Ok, not going to create a new thread for it, but I'm looking to buy a new laptop (not a macbook).

My two previous laptops both died due to overheating problems. They were both cheap plastic builds (Acer) and worked fine in the beginning but overheated after a while (shutting down in the middle of a game/movie etc).

So, I'm basically looking for a well-built laptop, no need for a race machine (I do mostly work (Office); browsing; movies and limited gaming (e.g. Football Manager / Civilzation)).

What are my options? Sony Vaio? Lenovo?

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #72
    Ok, not going to create a new thread for it, but I'm looking to buy a new laptop (not a macbook).

My two previous laptops both died due to overheating problems. They were both cheap plastic builds (Acer) and worked fine in the beginning but overheated after a while (shutting down in the middle of a game/movie etc).

So, I'm basically looking for a well-built laptop, no need for a race machine (I do mostly work (Office); browsing; movies and limited gaming (e.g. Football Manager / Civilzation)).

From my experience of selling computers, go for a Sony. Best warranty, build quality, and most satisfied consumers.

Either that, or look at the Asus UL-series. UL30 or UL50 (13" and 15"). Quite cool and solid computers with pretty good performance and battery life.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro, from about 2 years ago. No problems with overheating and very satisfied with it.

[/anecdotal evidence]

Whatever you do, stay away from Dell, they sell junk.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I bought an Acer LCD monitor last month, and I love it. Very easy setup, even with a Mac laptop. The thing also comes with the HDMI cables and the regular hookups as well, all for no extra charge. My 24 inch H243H was only $200.

Haven't used an Acer computer before, but the monitor is impressive for the price.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I bought an Acer LCD monitor last month, and I love it. Very easy setup, even with a Mac laptop. The thing also comes with the HDMI cables and the regular hookups as well, all for no extra charge. My 24 inch H243H was only $200.

Haven't used an Acer computer before, but the monitor is impressive for the price.
    I so want an LCD to plug into this tiny laptop, but I bought a desk that's so tiny I couldn't even make space for it.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    The stand for the thing can't be more than 18 cm's. You could fit that on a nightstand if you allow it to hangover the sides.
    I don't have a nightstand, but even if I did it would be in the bedroom (no?) and the wrong height. I have like 6cm of desk left behind my laptop. :sergio:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Get a flat screen and mount that fucker to the wall.
    I don't have my desk against a wall tho, it's free standing. The shape of the room makes it awkward to put it against a wall.

But your aggression toward my hypothetical monitor is noted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)