I'm buying a Macbook Pro - convince me not to (4 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
Yeah that's the range I'm expecting to pay. It's definitely going to be a must for the field I'm going into. So money isn't the issue. I need to find a company with a good service rating and reliability in their machines. The laptop will more than likely be a graduation present considering the other option is a truck.:D
Do a LOT of researching about the manufacturer you plan to go with, they quality of support they provide in your region, and the reliability of the products themselves. It's VERY easy to find negative feedback about products and manufacturers. Googling for "HP sucks" or "<random manufacturer> sucks" yields a lot of results. But people don't always post positive feedback on the internet. So make sure you get personal opinions from people in the same field as you are, who are technically knowledgeable, know what their talking about and are experienced with a lot of notebooks and the service their manufacturers provide.

EDIT: Also, after sales service almost doesn't matter if the hardware is reliable. But from what I've heard, the support for business class products is usually better than consumer class products. But I still urge you to research yourself.

Buy on AliExpress.com

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Do check out the Lenovo Aaron, they have a semi-rugged range. Lenovo Thinkpad is probably the best laptop I've used to date. I personally don't know the quality of the rugged range, but you could certainly check it out.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Sadomin made the mistake of asking computer advice on Juventuz. You have a better chance of getting blown up by technological extremists than receiving sound computer info here.
Usually that'd be true, not the case here however. I'm a member on 2 a lot more computer oriented forums and questions like these go exactly as it does here when it comes to Macs. It's a general phenomenon, those who have them adore them, those who don't loathe them.

Sadomin, I'll try and make this easier for you; if you can truly get a Macbook for 200-300$ more than an Asus or Sony and those 200-300$ don't mean anything to you, by all means get it. It's good hardware, it's good software and it's good warranty program. Also, you can run any OS on it now so if you don't like OSX you can easily install Win7.

Just don't be fooled that these don't break. They have their problems as every other manufacturer. I know a guy who bought one and had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen from day one and they would not take it back or fix it. Every company has a dead-pixel policy and Apple is not immune(just trying to give you perspective, they're not holier than thou).

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #44
    Usually that'd be true, not the case here however. I'm a member on 2 a lot more computer oriented forums and questions like these go exactly as it does here when it comes to Macs. It's a general phenomenon, those who have them adore them, those who don't loathe them.

Sadomin, I'll try and make this easier for you; if you can truly get a Macbook for 200-300$ more than an Asus or Sony and those 200-300$ don't mean anything to you, by all means get it. It's good hardware, it's good software and it's good warranty program. Also, you can run any OS on it now so if you don't like OSX you can easily install Win7.

Just don't be fooled that these don't break. They have their problems as every other manufacturer. I know a guy who bought one and had a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen from day one and they would not take it back or fix it. Every company has a dead-pixel policy and Apple is not immune(just trying to give you perspective, they're not holier than thou).
    Thank you for the feedback Vlatko and everyone else. I just ordered one.

Time will tell if it will be worth it or not, but I just know that I would regret buying something else. A feeling that would haunt me for a few years.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
    Aug 5, 2006
    Im in a desperate need for a new laptop. You can't imagine what kind of ancient laptop I've been using for quite some time now.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Thank you for the feedback Vlatko and everyone else. I just ordered one.

Time will tell if it will be worth it or not, but I just know that I would regret buying something else. A feeling that would haunt me for a few years.
    Just don't become a fanboi when you first start up that shiny, glossy piece of candy. :D

OP

Sadomin

Apr 5, 2005
  • Thread Starter #55
    Just don't become a fanboi when you first start up that shiny, glossy piece of candy. :D
    Don't worry, I'll report on any problem or disturbance with it that I'll come across.

Of course, there won't be any.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)