I'm buying a Macbook Pro - convince me not to (2 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I don't have a nightstand, but even if I did it would be in the bedroom (no?) and the wrong height. I have like 6cm of desk left behind my laptop. :sergio:
What sort of desk is that? :D

Get a flat screen and mount that fucker to the wall.
Yeah, that would work.

Having a widescreen LCD along with a laptop screen makes getting things done so much easier.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's called spackle man. What I have in mind will at most leave 4-6 smallish holes in your ceiling.
Now you got me thinking. Check this idea: magnets in the floor. Floor is levitating. I've wanted to do that with magnets since I was a little kid, never actually put it into practice.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Now you got me thinking. Check this idea: magnets in the floor. Floor is levitating. I've wanted to do that with magnets since I was a little kid, never actually put it into practice.
I was thinking along the lines of hanging a platform from your ceiling.

Geof

May 14, 2004
lenovo overheats as well
Have you considered buying a cooling pad rather than a new laptop? Also, cleaning the ventilation ducts can prevent overheating problems. I hope you've tried that too.
Yeah I cleaned it up a while ago, it worked slightly better for a while, but the thing just keeps on shutting down now. Also, I want an excuse to buy a new laptop :beer:

From my experience of selling computers, go for a Sony. Best warranty, build quality, and most satisfied consumers.

Either that, or look at the Asus UL-series. UL30 or UL50 (13" and 15"). Quite cool and solid computers with pretty good performance and battery life.
I checked the Sony's and I was pleasantly surprised by the price, they're quite mid-market now.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro, from about 2 years ago. No problems with overheating and very satisfied with it.

[/anecdotal evidence]

Whatever you do, stay away from Dell, they sell junk.
will do.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I've had Acer's, HP's and Toshiba's...had never had a problem with neither. All are over 3 years old, one HP is like 5,6 years old.

All renowned brands are good, with Acer being most bang for buck if we're looking components wise. If design and build is a lot important to you, I'd suggest Asus or Sony.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Dell are great too. I've one for 12 years now and still going. Im even posting from it right now :juventus:

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Many of my friends have Dell too, none of whom have ever complained about. Though I recall about also 3-4 years ago one of my mates accidentally broke his screen when he left his Laptop on the black sofa and his dad sat on it without realizing the laptop was there. But that's hardly anything against Dell, his father is cow fat :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Many of my friends have Dell too, none of whom have ever complained about. Though I recall about also 3-4 years ago one of my mates accidentally broke his screen when he left his Laptop on the black sofa and his dad sat on it without realizing the laptop was there. But that's hardly anything against Dell, his father is cow fat :D
So Dell discriminates against the west :eek:

Apr 15, 2006
Maybe they were great 12 years ago. I bought one 3-4 years ago and it went to pieces within a year.
TBH, the quality of hardware being used in electronic products these days is quite poor compared to about 10 years ago. That's the reason why laptops are at least affordable in this age. It's the same with printers. I've seen some customers using a 10 year or older printers and they're still working great. New ones fail like hell. That's the trend these days.

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
So Dell discriminates against the west :eek:
We've a really shitty Toshiba laptops here ;)
TBH, the quality of hardware being used in electronic products these days is quite poor compared to about 10 years ago. That's the reason why laptops are at least affordable in this age. It's the same with printers. I've seen some customers using a 10 year or older printers and they're still working great. New ones fail like hell. That's the trend these days.
I agree. Off topic but what the hell, In my house till this days we've an ~35 year old Sharp TV, a 27 year old American fridge, an A.E.G wash machine and an above 20 year old A.C. And believe or not they function better than the ones we've bought less than five years ago when we moved out so now we use the new ones as backups while relying on these oldies.

Well, except for the TV ofcourse :D

Geof

May 14, 2004
Well my Acer laptop decided to work again. I guess the next step is to take a screwdriver, open it and remove the kilogram of dust that must be stuck in it.

Does anyone have experience with it? Anything I should be aware of?The warranty is void anyway, so there's no issue there. Also, I'll take out the battery for my own safety I guess....

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Well my Acer laptop decided to work again. I guess the next step is to take a screwdriver, open it and remove the kilogram of dust that must be stuck in it.

Does anyone have experience with it? Anything I should be aware of?The warranty is void anyway, so there's no issue there. Also, I'll take out the battery for my own safety I guess....
Nothing, just have fun and pay attention to which screw and part goes where. You don't wanna put it back together with 2 screws left in your hand. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)