Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (45 Viewers)

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I don't really know what to say on this.
Scirea's death made a bigger legend out of him than he would have been if he was still alive.
I went stricktly with the numbers when i said Del Piero is Juve's greatest legend because that's the only way i can compare a player i've seen with a player i've never seen.

I know how Juventini feel about Del Piero, i see fans reactions when he'll touch the ball and i don't think Scirea was more popular. Maybe at the same level but i doubt he was more popular.

Since no-one was more popular with the Juventini than Alex, since no-one scored more goals, won more trophies and was capped more than Ale (after 10 matches) i'd give him #1.
And then there is serie B. I know that Scirea is kinda handicaped here because he wasn't given a chance to show his loyality by staying with the team in serie B (thanks God for that though) but being the first one who accepted serie B adds a lot of weight when chosing Juve's greatest legend.
The serie B thing does give DP an edge. The thing is though, the Scirea vs DP things can only be put into a better perspective in 20 years time really. And by someone who has seen both their impact.
I wonder how Del Piero is remembered then, just as a great, or as THE greatest.

As for the Del Piero - Scirea thing, none of us have watched enough of Scirea but we all know he's a legend. I don't see myself capable of comparing these two cos I haven't seen a single match of Scirea. I can't compare them statistically either, though Ale holds the records in many cases. There's only one thing that I'm sure about: I like Del Piero more than Scirea and it's due to a clear reason; I started loving Juve cos of Ale, I've followed him for more than 10 years. I've been his fan throughout his ups and downs. These are simply what I haven't had with Scirea. I just like Scirea as a Juve player and respect him as a true legend but I rank Ale higher, at least in my heart.
Sure, but is liking him really the decisive factor? The topic is their 'greatness', not whom the current generation holds most dear.

Don't take this personally, but I find it stupid to compare legends with each others, because simply you can't do that, each one played in different times in different conditions against different opponents. I don't even like those stats, these are disrespect for legends, appearances or goals doesn't make anyone better than the other, why don't we just respect them all equally and stop comparing..
There's few things more interesting than comparing teams and comparing players, when talking football.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
tbh i never said that ale payed shit. he played ok but not amazing, but it is unfair to give him credit somply for being in the play when iaquinta scored, you might aswell say well done molinaro, because if he hadnt of played things would have gone differently.

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
I had a friend tell me the meaning of Paki over there and I was surprised that it was used as an offensive word and that it was used for every foreigner no matter their origin.
well we dont call blakc people pakis lol. but it's much like calling a southerner a yankee in the usa. i think it was mainly just when they emigrated from india, pakistan, the word paki had a certain ring to it. and lets face it, we were all one once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)