How many of us actually play football? (7 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by K10 ] ++
How? Bad playing surface? Too fat? Poor shoes?
I got a weak ankle, keeps happening. Even when it's fully healed I never know when it'll come back.

Was playing on a gravel pitch with shoes for the occasion but the surface in itself is pretty hard and I guess more likely to spur that kind of injury as it didn't happen Sunday playing on grass for over an hour.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
twisted my ankle again :down:
!!!!! JOIN THE GODDAMN FRIGGIN CLUB!!! :groan: :stress:

In the past year I've had 2 strains then 2 Sprains (torn ligaments) which took me out of the game for about 5 weeks, 3 weeks, 8 weeks, 3 weeks respectively. (the last two are have not healed yet so i won't be back on the field for at least 3 weeks.)

It's a damn ***** and it's all because of the damn astroturf. (+ My samba indoor shoes)

it's as frustrating as hell because I dribble C.Ronaldo style ( non-elegant :p ) and these sprains are holding my game back big time. :down:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I play on astroturf all the time, love it. Maybe yours is different.. :confused:

Can't stand indoor games though, with that kind of friction from the surface I have a really good chance of twisting it.. :scared:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

!!!!! JOIN THE GODDAMN FRIGGIN CLUB!!! :groan: :stress:

In the past year I've had 2 strains then 2 Sprains (torn ligaments) which took me out of the game for about 5 weeks, 3 weeks, 8 weeks, 3 weeks respectively. (the last two are have not healed yet so i won't be back on the field for at least 3 weeks.)

It's a damn ***** and it's all because of the damn astroturf. (+ My samba indoor shoes)

it's as frustrating as hell because I dribble C.Ronaldo style ( non-elegant :p ) and these sprains are holding my game back big time. :down:
I just joined that club today. The pitch we played on was rock solid with damn divots. :groan:

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I hope it's not as bad as mine....

I was attempting a wild back heel and i planted my foot in the turf and it wouldn't slip and add to that the fact that i was wearing shoes that have big souls. My foot SNAPPED inward as a result. The snap was so damn load that the keeper at the other end heard it!

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
I play on astroturf all the time, love it. Maybe yours is different.. :confused:

Can't stand indoor games though, with that kind of friction from the surface I have a really good chance of twisting it.. :scared:
I know what you mean... I stopped playis futsal/indoor soccer too because it caused my first injury.

This time, i injured myself in an indoor astroturf field. It's better than the solid ground though.

i guess the injury was a combination of:
1. Weak and very thin ankles
2. Bad shoes + Astroturf

You could check out the facility at: www.riversideindoorsoccer.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
That facility looks great, expensive too :mute:

I bought tape today to use next time I play, wonder if I'm gonna try again tomorrow or Sunday. Probably will feel too sore though..

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
That facility looks great, expensive too :mute:

I bought tape today to use next time I play, wonder if I'm gonna try again tomorrow or Sunday. Probably will feel too sore though..
if it's a bit "swolen" (spelling?! :wth: ) i suggest you don't play for at least 2 weeks. That's only if it's a bit and you could still walk on it. but if it hurts too much to walk on it tonight or tomorrow morning, then don't play for at least 4 weeks. The thing with ankle injuries is that if you don't take care of it, it'll last for a very long time and it'll never heal properly.

When I sprain mine badly, i played 2 weeks after it happened, then i played a week after that, then 2 weeks after that till i sprained the other one and now i'm not even thinking about playing till late October.

PS, from the home page on that site i just provided, go to "leagues" then under "Schedules and Results," click on "Men's I." Check out team #4's name :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The question is how do you heal an ankle permanently? And what do you do to make it stronger and prevent this from happening over and over?

The injury happened on Wednesday, but it's still sore.

hehe ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
The question is how do you heal an ankle permanently? And what do you do to make it stronger and prevent this from happening over and over?

The injury happened on Wednesday, but it's still sore.

hehe ;)
then don't play for a while.

If you're built with thin/weak ankles, you can't do much about it except for maybe improve your diet. (like get enough vitamins and minirals to start).

To imporve your ankle, I've came across a site once (forgot to bookmark it though with some excersises and stretches to strengthen at least to the muscles around the ankle to lessen the chane of a strain.

As for heeling, I've read somewhere that omega-3 fatty acids (fount in tuna, trout and salmon) helps reduce the swelling and may help fix torn ligaments.

The key thing is to stop from playing soccer for a long time. Then, when you finally return, you should return gradually by first cylcing, then running, then light training, then full games.

Most people who play sports know the basic RICE treatment.
R: Rest -->
I: Ice --> Ice the sore area for no more than 15 minutes 3 times a day for 3 days.
C: Compression --> Wrap the sore irea tight (but not too tight where it blocks circulation)
E: Eleveation --> have your foot above your heart level so less blood would go to the foot. This will help reduce the soreness that may tamper with the joints' ability to stick back together agian.

After about 4 days, it's safe to start the warm treatment like rubbing your foot with warm olive oil and stuff like that.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

I play indoor on a hardwood basketball court, but I've twisted my ankles on grass, astroturf... you name it :groan:

I've got very weak ankles too, and I've fractured both of them, the left one twice. Every couple of weeks or so I misplace a step while challenging for a ball or changing direction too quickly, and twist my ankles badly, but stupidly enough I get back on the pitch as soon as I think it feels a little better. I don't know what it is that keeps getting my ankles busted; maybe I should learn to run properly :irritate:. I think it might be when I step on an uneven surface (like the side of somebody's foot :))

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

I play indoor on a hardwood basketball court, but I've twisted my ankles on grass, astroturf... you name it :groan:

I've got very weak ankles too, and I've fractured both of them, the left one twice. Every couple of weeks or so I misplace a step while challenging for a ball or changing direction too quickly, and twist my ankles badly, but stupidly enough I get back on the pitch as soon as I think it feels a little better. I don't know what it is that keeps getting my ankles busted; maybe I should learn to run properly :irritate:. I think it might be when I step on an uneven surface (like the side of somebody's foot :))
What's with geeks and bad ankles?

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
talk about bad luck.

i tripped over a kerb the other day and fractured my foot.

the worst thing is,i was just on the way to a football match:groan:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I got my F50s today and they look great. Surprisingly they're quite small though, and too narrow for my wide feet. I've been told that the kangeroo leather will stretch so that's a plus. Also, the boots come with 3 different souls. Professional for optimal performance, Light for speedy lightweight peeps and maximum flexibility, and Comfort for stability and comfort. I tried out the professional ones today at practise, I think I'll give the comforts a go tomorrow.

After the warm ups and stuff, we did two major drills, one was taking on defenders, the other was a crossing drill of sorts. In the latter there were two teams of six, two of which were crossers, one on the left, the other on the right. No-one was allowed to challenge the players crossing so the idea was to win the ball from the other team and get the ball to one of your crossers. The only way to score a goal was via a direct header from a cross, so if you didn't score but kept possession you could just work the ball back out to a crosser. I scored a hat-trick of headers which was a pleasant surprise since heading isn't the strongest part of my game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)