Gym and fitness (24 Viewers)

Dec 26, 2004
As many of you know here that I run, I am not the runner I used to be because I found out that mixing running with other workout has made me a better runner and my runs have become more quality than quantity. Since then I have minimized my injuries quite drastically that I have been almost free from that for the past 4 years. I usually run a half marathon every May and I have decided that this will be a yearly ritual for me, I keep my running to a moderate schedule all year long and I increase the dose by the end of February/early March in preparation to the event. I started a schedule in the beginning of March but I decided to take a few days rest as I was going skiing the week after only to resume after my ski trip. Two runs and a four day rest from running where I did some lifting and core workouts. By the weekend I had extreme pain in my right foot which reminded me of Plantar Fascitis I got back in 2010. I went skiing and it was all too fine while skiing and it was hell on earth at home in the evenings. The week after my ski trip I met a physiotherapist which assured me it was not a plantar fascitis but an inflammation in the fibularis, a side muscle in the foot. I got balance workout as rehab. Nothing happend so I met another one, he gave me more balance workout and asked me to take anti inflammatory pills. After a couple of weeks without progress I decide to meet another. That third one gave me strength workout for my calve that has become weaker while avoiiding to overstrain the foot all that time. That strength workout was hell on earth and it gave me more pain so I decided to meet a doctor who in his turn sends me for X-ray. Yesterday I receive a diagnostics from the doctor after reading the x-rays, I have like a few other people in this world an extra bone, a small bone in the foot that has absolutely no fuction, some people have it, some people don't. I am one of those who have it and for some unlucky reason I got a stress fracture in it. No operation can be done on this, no cask can help it heel except rest. It might take from 3 to 6 months and running is totally forbidden.

This means I will not run the half marathon this year, this means I don't know when I can resume my running again this means it sucks donkey balls. Injuries should be forbidden.
Sorry to hear this, wish you had one bone less.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
As many of you know here that I run, I am not the runner I used to be because I found out that mixing running with other workout has made me a better runner and my runs have become more quality than quantity. Since then I have minimized my injuries quite drastically that I have been almost free from that for the past 4 years. I usually run a half marathon every May and I have decided that this will be a yearly ritual for me, I keep my running to a moderate schedule all year long and I increase the dose by the end of February/early March in preparation to the event. I started a schedule in the beginning of March but I decided to take a few days rest as I was going skiing the week after only to resume after my ski trip. Two runs and a four day rest from running where I did some lifting and core workouts. By the weekend I had extreme pain in my right foot which reminded me of Plantar Fascitis I got back in 2010. I went skiing and it was all too fine while skiing and it was hell on earth at home in the evenings. The week after my ski trip I met a physiotherapist which assured me it was not a plantar fascitis but an inflammation in the fibularis, a side muscle in the foot. I got balance workout as rehab. Nothing happend so I met another one, he gave me more balance workout and asked me to take anti inflammatory pills. After a couple of weeks without progress I decide to meet another. That third one gave me strength workout for my calve that has become weaker while avoiiding to overstrain the foot all that time. That strength workout was hell on earth and it gave me more pain so I decided to meet a doctor who in his turn sends me for X-ray. Yesterday I receive a diagnostics from the doctor after reading the x-rays, I have like a few other people in this world an extra bone, a small bone in the foot that has absolutely no fuction, some people have it, some people don't. I am one of those who have it and for some unlucky reason I got a stress fracture in it. No operation can be done on this, no cask can help it heel except rest. It might take from 3 to 6 months and running is totally forbidden.

This means I will not run the half marathon this year, this means I don't know when I can resume my running again this means it sucks donkey balls. Injuries should be forbidden.
Oh man, that's the worst!

You're my running idol!

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I squatted barefoot quite a lot before I started using lifting shoes and had I not started weight lifting I would never have bought lifting shoes and continued to squat barefoot. It feels better with the raised heels but you can always have a weight plate and raise your heels on it when squatting. Deadlift is always barefoot though.
:tup: i do the plate under the heel when i go heavy

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
What are your O-lifts shoes?
I have a couple pairs.

- - - Updated - - -

I really like the Adidas Ironwork 2, been using them since about 2008. Super comfy and perfect fit for my feet. Nice and solid feel while remaining quite light.

Got a pair of the Position Blue Suede 2.0 last year. Love the look, and have never worn a more solid-feeling and stable shoe, but they do feel a little heavier than most, and the toe box is a bit wider than I would prefer. Still, after getting used to them, feel super stable under heavier lifts.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Those blue ones look weird.

I am thinking of getting adidas, the Inov8 Fastlift I use are somehow soft and I would like to have a more stable shoe.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Speaking of squats, today I went to gym to train (usually I train at home), and I decided to test my max at squats. I managed to squat 140kg, and than I failed at 155kg, but I almost had it, I was probably tired, because before 155kg, I've already done 4 series with 110,120,130 and 140kg's + warm up.

All in all, I'm really satisfied with my result, especially because I'm carrying a back injury which tends to hurt bady from time to time (I know it's not a best decision to do squats with injury like this).

And my current weight is 84kg but with shoe, short and shirt on, so I'm probably more around 83kg's.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Speaking of squats, today I went to gym to train (usually I train at home), and I decided to test my max at squats. I managed to squat 140kg, and than I failed at 155kg, but I almost had it, I was probably tired, because before 155kg, I've already done 4 series with 110,120,130 and 140kg's + warm up.

All in all, I'm really satisfied with my result, especially because I'm carrying a back injury which tends to hurt bady from time to time (I know it's not a best decision to do squats with injury like this).

And my current weight is 84kg but with shoe, short and shirt on, so I'm probably more around 83kg's.
Man those are insane weights to me :tup:. I do close stance high bar squats all the way down so I'd get scared with that kind of weight. That being said I'm also just not very good at squatting.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do lighter weights and longer reps the coming week and you're good to go.
40 mile bike marathon coming up next weekend. Not sure how to balance lifting with making sure my legs are going to be well-rested.
Probably wouldn't hurt that much to take a week off from lifting either. Not necessary, but if you want to be fresh I doubt it'll set you back much.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Do lighter weights and longer reps the coming week and you're good to go.
Probably wouldn't hurt that much to take a week off from lifting either. Not necessary, but if you want to be fresh I doubt it'll set you back much.
I'm just worried about my knees. I've been having pain in them at times while at rest, most likely from my bike ironically enough.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Man those are insane weights to me :tup:. I do close stance high bar squats all the way down so I'd get scared with that kind of weight. That being said I'm also just not very good at squatting.
I'm also not satisfied with my form either, it needs some adjusments and I'm sure with those I could even squat 160kg's. But we'll see about that, right now I don't really care about my max...

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #11,994
    After being a gym junkie for a pretty long time, i finally took the dive an got a boxing bag at home last month. Loving it so far - works up a sweat and you feel great afterwards.

I've not been to the gym since, and while it is obviously too early to say, i find this more fun at the moment. I was only doing cardio at the gym anyway so I don't get the impression I'm missing out on much since i go for a run too after working on the punching bag. Ofcourse, its hard to match the General ambiance of the gym at home which sucks.

Knowing myself I'll probably get bored of this eventually and head back to the gym but this new routine is pretty neat for the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that you will get bored just punching a bag every week, but it's good to have that as an option when sometimes you can't drag yourself out or are short on time. It's the same reason why I keep a bench and free weight at home, although I rarely use them.

BTW anybody got any tips on unilateral training? I've only been doing it for a few months but can tell there is less of an imbalance between my arms now. I guess it's quite a slow process. I do still notice that when I do two-handed exercises my right arm gets fatigued (and worked) more than the left because it is still taking a 60/40 load of the strain. I've read that even concentrating on the weaker arm can trick the brain into working the arm more efficiently, but I've no idea how true that is.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    I had laporoscopic surgery to take me appendix out and now my belly button looks so different :sad:

Also, goodbye beach body, can't lift for three more weeks according to the doc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Dead lifted for the first time since high school today. I think I did pretty good, but I just introduced a new level of soreness to the day after leg day.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
    Jan 16, 2011
    After 10 days of drinking and eating in Budapest and Serbia I am back and I feel the itch. Going to Cuba for New years and I want to be on point.

Ran a 6k yesterday in 27min, so all is not gone yet. However, I need to introduce some weight lifting next to the muay thai. Anyone here experienced with that? I did muay thai 5 days per week for three months, but its hard to uphold that schedule considering the amount of small injuries I pick up. Was thinking 3 muay thai/2 Weight but Im not sure which programme I should do. Last time I went to the gym I did 5x5 - that wont work now. Any suggestions?

Sendt fra min SM-N910F med Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)