Gym and fitness (66 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Cheers.

OK so I did about 45 minutes total of sprints up the park tonight. A few observations:

- sprinting on grass is not the best idea, even if it looks flat. A couple of times a slight dip nearly flipped me into a forward somersault.
- sprinting at 90% on grass is an even worse idea.
- I didn't feel tired at all in terms of fitness/cardio, so had small breathers in-between sprints. The tiredness is definitely in the leg muscles, now they are very fatigued.
- I can sprint faster than a chasing dog.

Obviously at a certain point the combo of grass and fatigue ruined my speed and technique, but it definitely feels like a proper workout.

I think I need to work on longer intervals between sprints and at what percentage of my top speed I go at. The hamstrings were a little too tight to really kick into it over many sprints.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Cheers.

OK so I did about 45 minutes total of sprints up the park tonight. A few observations:

- sprinting on grass is not the best idea, even if it looks flat. A couple of times a slight dip nearly flipped me into a forward somersault.
- sprinting at 90% on grass is an even worse idea.
- I didn't feel tired at all in terms of fitness/cardio, so had small breathers in-between sprints. The tiredness is definitely in the leg muscles, now they are very fatigued.
- I can sprint faster than a chasing dog.

Obviously at a certain point the combo of grass and fatigue ruined my speed and technique, but it definitely feels like a proper workout.

I think I need to work on longer intervals between sprints and at what percentage of my top speed I go at. The hamstrings were a little too tight to really kick into it over many sprints.
What was your interval? 20 seconds?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
If you had to pick between :

Broken rib (bottom one)
Herniated disc

What would you guys pick ?

Not sure if you're serious.. Broken ribs hurt, but in almost all cases heal (relatively) quickly and without treatment. Herniated discs on the other hand can be a nightmare and can be crippling.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
finally joined a gym :baus:

arms are destroyed :baus: ::lol3::

- - - Updated - - -

how am I supposed to know how hard to push myself? I probably could've kept going a bit more but not sure if I'm going to do an injury or something

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
finally joined a gym :baus:

arms are destroyed :baus: ::lol3::

- - - Updated - - -

how am I supposed to know how hard to push myself? I probably could've kept going a bit more but not sure if I'm going to do an injury or something
Your body will let you know in a week or so. :tup:

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
how do you mean?

yeah I did much more than 8. probably like 20-30, basically until my arms felt like jelly

pretty similar to this thing

All good. Its not really a worry tbh, here are a few key things

- Form. check this http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and see how the big guy does it. He's likely in the gym for a decade
- Reps to failure is amazing, but the minimum amount of reps is always 8-12
- small muscle groups require 2 days of rest, big groups 3

- Protein powder doesnt make you grow, it just increases your protein intake. 2.5g/kg bodyweight. Only meat, fish, chicken, diary, protein powder counts.
- Sleeping is amazing and great

- Dont take preworkouts. Take cafeine, thats enough.
- dont listen to the shit about creatine and beta alanine. If 8-10% of your weekly protein intake comes from red meat, you are well covered.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
All good. Its not really a worry tbh, here are a few key things

- Form. check this http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html and see how the big guy does it. He's likely in the gym for a decade
- Reps to failure is amazing, but the minimum amount of reps is always 8-12
- small muscle groups require 2 days of rest, big groups 3

- Protein powder doesnt make you grow, it just increases your protein intake. 2.5g/kg bodyweight. Only meat, fish, chicken, diary, protein powder counts.
- Sleeping is amazing and great

- Dont take preworkouts. Take cafeine, thats enough.
- dont listen to the shit about creatine and beta alanine. If 8-10% of your weekly protein intake comes from red meat, you are well covered.
:tup: thanks and wasn't planning on any of that supplement stuff either. just eating and sleeping well :D

what are the small and big muscle groups? I did mostly biceps I think and leg workout on exercise bike plus some treadmill today

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
:tup: thanks and wasn't planning on any of that supplement stuff either. just eating and sleeping well :D

what are the small and big muscle groups? I did mostly biceps I think and leg workout on exercise bike plus some treadmill today
Big : Chest, Upper leg, Back, Schoulders
Small : Biceps, Triceps, Trapezius, Calfs, Forearms, Core

<insert narrow dick joke once i'm under 8 points>

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
@ZoSo - machines are a decent place to start but don't become reliant on them because they force you into a restricted range of motion and with many you only use your main muscles to operate them. With free weights you use a lot more stabilising muscles as you have to control the full range of motion and stability doing it.

The other thing with machines is that some people don't seat themselves correctly or do a proper motion, and they force their bodies into an unnatural motion and then strain themselves.

Looks like you were using an incline chest press machine. You can do the same thing with a flat or inclined bench and dumbbells. But machine is fine to build up that initial strength.

There's a lot to read up on, sifting out the common sense and science from the "bro science", but different things work for different people. Diet is a big thing if you are going to do it properly and aesthetics are something you are aiming for.

People like Zach will tell you more. There are different kinds of rep ranges and associated lighter or heavier weights you can use for better actual strength or better hypertrophy, as a noob I would recommend going with lighter weights and higher reps to makes sure you have good technique in everything you do, then taking it from there pushing yourself heavier. Ultimately it's supposed to be hard and you are supposed to feel like you are really struggling at the end, if it's easy and you are counting numbers and going through the motions then it's pointless.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I read 1-1.5g per POUND of bodyweight, some people even do 2 or more. I can eat 200g of protein a day without much difficulty, but it's way above an average person.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 14, Guests: 48)