Gym and fitness (40 Viewers)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Haven't been to the gym in a month because of my trip to the US and a hand injury I acquired as soon as I came back to Bolivia.

I did do some push-ups during my vacation (before the hand injury).

I'm going back to the gym on Monday and I'm hoping I haven't lost a lot of my strength gains.

Can't wait to feel that pump again...!

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Big : Chest, Upper leg, Back, Schoulders
Small : Biceps, Triceps, Trapezius, Calfs, Forearms, Core

<insert narrow dick joke once i'm under 8 points>
:tup: I'm so sore from yesterday :lol: It's really not that bad but I was planning on playing golf today but I don't think it'd be a good idea

what are some reasonable diet tips? I'm sure I could improve a bit. probably eat less bread for a start.

@ZoSo - machines are a decent place to start but don't become reliant on them because they force you into a restricted range of motion and with many you only use your main muscles to operate them. With free weights you use a lot more stabilising muscles as you have to control the full range of motion and stability doing it.

The other thing with machines is that some people don't seat themselves correctly or do a proper motion, and they force their bodies into an unnatural motion and then strain themselves.

Looks like you were using an incline chest press machine. You can do the same thing with a flat or inclined bench and dumbbells. But machine is fine to build up that initial strength.

There's a lot to read up on, sifting out the common sense and science from the "bro science", but different things work for different people. Diet is a big thing if you are going to do it properly and aesthetics are something you are aiming for.

People like Zach will tell you more. There are different kinds of rep ranges and associated lighter or heavier weights you can use for better actual strength or better hypertrophy, as a noob I would recommend going with lighter weights and higher reps to makes sure you have good technique in everything you do, then taking it from there pushing yourself heavier. Ultimately it's supposed to be hard and you are supposed to feel like you are really struggling at the end, if it's easy and you are counting numbers and going through the motions then it's pointless.
I spoke to the guy who ran the place and he recommended I start with weight machines before going on to actual weights. The membership comes with a personal training session and I'll maybe get one every so often if I need to.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
:tup: I'm so sore from yesterday :lol: It's really not that bad but I was planning on playing golf today but I don't think it'd be a good idea

what are some reasonable diet tips? I'm sure I could improve a bit. probably eat less bread for a start.

I spoke to the guy who ran the place and he recommended I start with weight machines before going on to actual weights. The membership comes with a personal training session and I'll maybe get one every so often if I need to.
It doesn't really matter that much if you start with weights. If anything, it's better that way imo, the only downside is that you'll look like an amateur but it's a gym, everyone starts somewhere. Better off doing light free weights than heavy on the machines.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Tomorrow will be worse, second day of soreness is always worse :D
the pain doesn't bother me at all, just annoying that it takes a couple of days to recover :p

It doesn't really matter that much if you start with weights. If anything, it's better that way imo, the only downside is that you'll look like an amateur but it's a gym, everyone starts somewhere. Better off doing light free weights than heavy on the machines.
I haven't done any sort of weights for ages so weight machine is much better than nothing for now, I will get into proper lifting after I build up some strength.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Personally my experience is that the best way is to roll into a diet instead of getting trown into one. Dont turn your food habbits too much upside down all of a sudden.

Protein : muscle growth is optimal from 1.5 - 2.5g protein/kg bodyweight. Try to look how you can get there in a way that is comfortable for you

Carbs : complex is better. Dont bother too much with carbs. Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, its all good. If you really get into diet and want to sacrifice more to progress, you'll take a better look at it.

Fats : fats make you lazy. you need 60-80g / day.

Really, it comes down to training and getting enough protein in. All other stuff is for later really

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
Personally my experience is that the best way is to roll into a diet instead of getting trown into one. Dont turn your food habbits too much upside down all of a sudden.

Protein : muscle growth is optimal from 1.5 - 2.5g protein/kg bodyweight. Try to look how you can get there in a way that is comfortable for you

Carbs : complex is better. Dont bother too much with carbs. Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, its all good. If you really get into diet and want to sacrifice more to progress, you'll take a better look at it.

Fats : fats make you lazy. you need 60-80g / day.

Really, it comes down to training and getting enough protein in. All other stuff is for later really
I wasn't planning on going crazy with it or starting like a whole new diet, just some small improvements here and there. Just obvious things like minimal amount of junk food (not that I eat much of it anyway), maybe a bit less carbs etc. I will try a bit more protein too :tup: Still too sore to do weights again but hopefully tomorrow night :lol: Just going to do some running tonight

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I wasn't planning on going crazy with it or starting like a whole new diet, just some small improvements here and there. Just obvious things like minimal amount of junk food (not that I eat much of it anyway), maybe a bit less carbs etc. I will try a bit more protein too :tup: Still too sore to do weights again but hopefully tomorrow night :lol: Just going to do some running tonight
All good man. I wouldnt worry about carbs too much at this point. To me the biggest challenge for most is still actually going to the gym after a month :D

Minimizing how much you need to change or take away initially plays a good part there imo

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
All good man. I wouldnt worry about carbs too much at this point. To me the biggest challenge for most is still actually going to the gym after a month :D

Minimizing how much you need to change or take away initially plays a good part there imo
:D yeah but I've never been much of a quitter though :p I was thinking of it as more of a long term thing anyway, rather than just join to see what happens or spur of the moment or whatever

going to go now actually :D it's really close to home as well which is good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 34)