Gym and fitness (13 Viewers)

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Thanks. It felt like my longues and liver were trying to climb out of my mouth after the first 3k. I really need to quit the smokes
Are you trying to and find it hard to quit? Recently I am starting to think that wherever I go for vacation, I need to find a hotel with any type of gym and if not, maybe a cool place for an early run, because I tend to eat like savage when I am on vacation.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
Are you trying to and find it hard to quit? Recently I am starting to think that wherever I go for vacation, I need to find a hotel with any type of gym and if not, maybe a cool place for an early run, because I tend to eat like savage when I am on vacation.
My main problem is that I'm not really trying. I need to run for about two weeks and then I feel nothing from the smokes - it's just after a break that I feel like shit. Also in Muay Thai I perform as well or better than my peers, so it's hard for me to get really motivated. Even though I know I should.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The people who are gaining but have found a good balance to stop themselves being a proper fat bastard with it, what would you recommend? I've been at 170lbs for a good 6 months and have definite growth over that time, but the BF is still too damn high (probably 20%). I've been adding HIIT recently.

Specifically short, stocky people like me who put on weight walking through the bakery aisle in Tesco.

My diet is good, I eat all the recommended carbs for energy and about the same % in protein, fairly low fat and that is mostly unsaturated or meat fat (beef/lamb). At a rough calculation I'd say I'm eating about 2600-2800 daily, nothing huge. Maybe too much sugar as I like fruit, raisins, dates and a bit of dark chocolate.

My workout is medium-high intensity always looking to add weight, 4 nights a week, sporadic body and free weight home workouts and outdoor runs as well.

/serious

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
The people who are gaining but have found a good balance to stop themselves being a proper fat bastard with it, what would you recommend? I've been at 170lbs for a good 6 months and have definite growth over that time, but the BF is still too damn high (probably 20%). I've been adding HIIT recently.

Instead of HITT do 10 all out 50 meter sprints and call it a day. Rest between each sprint. Do this three times a week. Abs whill show.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
How tall are you?
5'8"

- - - Updated - - -

Instead of HITT do 10 all out 50 meter sprints and call it a day. Rest between each sprint. Do this three times a week. Abs whill show.
I've been toying with the idea of this, tbh I was waiting for slightly cooler weather :D I could fit them around a jog to my park (5 mins away) and do them there. I always enjoyed sprints when I was younger so it makes sense. When I do HIIT now it's either treadmill, rower or elliptical and I'm absolutely smashing it for 30 seconds and then 1 minute at a medium speed.

It's not so much an issue with going for some cover model look or anything like that, just to stop having that extra bit of weight around that area because aesthetics is one thing but also it creates a sluggishness and lack of explosiveness around the core, at least in my opinion.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011

Specifically short, stocky people like me who put on weight walking through the bakery aisle in Tesco.

My diet is good, I eat all the recommended carbs for energy and about the same % in protein, fairly low fat and that is mostly unsaturated or meat fat (beef/lamb). At a rough calculation I'd say I'm eating about 2600-2800 daily, nothing huge. Maybe too much sugar as I like fruit, raisins, dates and a bit of dark chocolate.

My workout is medium-high intensity always looking to add weight, 4 nights a week, sporadic body and free weight home workouts and outdoor runs as well.

/serious
Spot on :lol2:

I'm going to try the sprints as well.

Collaguazo

Pezuña Brava
Mar 4, 2012

/serious
I think your calorie intake might be a bit too high if you are trying to lose weight. I am 6ft and to lose 1 pound per week I should eat around 1700 daily. Add exercise and I could go up to 2000,2200 max.

I am using the app MyFitnessPal to track calories and exercise

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to put about 10-15lbs muscle on without adding the same as a spare tyre :D

I used MFP when I started off :tup: Still do now and again to track things, their forum is also pretty useful.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I call that style "interval cardio".

The regular version is on the stationary bike.

- 60 seconds at 90+rpm on high resistance
- 60 seconds at 50 rpm on no resistance
- repeat 10 times

Resistance must be chosen that you do not reach peak heartrate before the 4th interval

What you do is the advanced form. This style of cardio is the single most efficient version out there.

my girlfriends second training day out of three, is a cardio day, its setup like this

- 10 minutes warmup on cardio apparatus of choise. 70-80 rpm, no resistance
- 30 minutes of cardio on stationary bike. Heartrate target is 145-150, rpm is 80-90, resistance is chosen in function of the heartrate
- 15 minutes of weights. In her case the glutes machine, leg pullups for the abs, and that thing that turns the legs left and right for the obliques
- 20 minutes of the above described "interval cardio"

It completely destroys a human beeing.

As does this :

Pick a squat weight you can do for 12 reps
Do 8 reps, and take 60 seconds break
next set
do this untill your 8th rep is almost failure (6-8 sets will do)
drop 10% of the weight and do another 2 sets

do benchpress 5x5

do 8 sets of the final weight of the first squat session, 8 reps, 60 seconds pauze

dont forget to put a towell on the ground

I did that in 2014 when i dropped from 145 to 115kg, while keeping the same relative strenght

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I call that style "interval cardio".

The regular version is on the stationary bike.

- 60 seconds at 90+rpm on high resistance
- 60 seconds at 50 rpm on no resistance
- repeat 10 times

Resistance must be chosen that you do not reach peak heartrate before the 4th interval

What you do is the advanced form. This style of cardio is the single most efficient version out there.

my girlfriends second training day out of three, is a cardio day, its setup like this

- 10 minutes warmup on cardio apparatus of choise. 70-80 rpm, no resistance
- 30 minutes of cardio on stationary bike. Heartrate target is 145-150, rpm is 80-90, resistance is chosen in function of the heartrate
- 15 minutes of weights. In her case the glutes machine, leg pullups for the abs, and that thing that turns the legs left and right for the obliques
- 20 minutes of the above described "interval cardio"

It completely destroys a human beeing.

As does this :

Pick a squat weight you can do for 12 reps
Do 8 reps, and take 60 seconds break
next set
do this untill your 8th rep is almost failure (6-8 sets will do)
drop 10% of the weight and do another 2 sets

do benchpress 5x5

do 8 sets of the final weight of the first squat session, 8 reps, 60 seconds pauze

dont forget to put a towell on the ground

I did that in 2014 when i dropped from 145 to 115kg, while keeping the same relative strenght

I think the biggest issue when it comes to training to really get in shape is that you have to be willing to suffer.

If you sprint for fat loss, you sprint. You don't run very fast. You give it your all. And while that is one of the most rewarding things to do, it's also one of the hardest.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
You have to treat your body like the russian treats Apollo Creed in Rocky IV. "I will break him. If he dies, he dies.".

Lol. I generally only do that sort of stuff with exercises I know that aren't going to break me though. Like sprinting or push ups / pull ups. Squats and deadlifts are awesome exercises, but I think that, unless your sport is powerlifting or olympic weightlifting, you'd be fine doing those at your 5RM.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Lol. I generally only do that sort of stuff with exercises I know that aren't going to break me though. Like sprinting or push ups / pull ups. Squats and deadlifts are awesome exercises, but I think that, unless your sport is powerlifting or olympic weightlifting, you'd be fine doing those at your 5RM.
Definitely. I only go all out with cardio.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I think the biggest issue when it comes to training to really get in shape is that you have to be willing to suffer.

If you sprint for fat loss, you sprint. You don't run very fast. You give it your all. And while that is one of the most rewarding things to do, it's also one of the hardest.
It never becomes easyer, you just get better at it:tup:

At the beginning you die from going full out for X seconds at max heart rate. You get better. You'll sprint faster and longer before reaching max heart rate. But you 'll keep going untill you spend X seconds at max heart rate

Like in my sport. You'll be a nice athlete and doing 65 reps above 75%max deadlift + 65 reps between 75-85%max squat and die each and every week.

You'll get better. So the weight increases and you'll keep dying just as hard as where you began

it never gets easyer, you just get better at it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)