Gym and fitness (21 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
If you wanna stay natural, focus on strength until you've reached intermediate strength levels.

Doing sets of 4x8x45 kg dumbbell press is greater for building muscles than 28 kg dumbbells. Being a natty is a marathon.

And eat. Simple. Eat, eat, eat.

Oh, and building muscle and strength is the same side of the coin. You can't build one without the other, it's rather what you wanna focus on. (hypertrophy or strength)
Thats only true untill a certain point

Buy on AliExpress.com

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
If you wanna stay natural, focus on strength until you've reached intermediate strength levels.

Doing sets of 4x8x45 kg dumbbell press is greater for building muscles than 28 kg dumbbells. Being a natty is a marathon.

And eat. Simple. Eat, eat, eat.

Oh, and building muscle and strength is the same side of the coin. You can't build one without the other, it's rather what you wanna focus on. (hypertrophy or strength)
So, at this point focusing on strength will yield the same results as working with more volume but with the added benefit of more strength? I might just apply this to my chest and biceps workout.

For some reason my triceps and shoulders get stronger easily. I can easily add more weight in my next workout but the same can't be said about my chest and biceps.

Since we're at this, would it be advisable to go on a cut while I'm still making noob gains? I got some extra fat I'd like to get rid of (about 5-6 kg). It's only been two months since I started working out.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I plan on being a natty.

Don't want my balls to shrink.

Plus, stretch marks suck. I got some around my arms and shoulders when I worked out for 4 months about 4 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

more muscle = more strenght at your level

increase fatfree bodymass
So, hypertrophy or what? :p

I mostly care about aesthetics but it can be frustrating when your strength gains are kinda slow.

Or maybe I'm being unrealistic about my chest strength gains. I'm currently benching 55 kg or 121 lb.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
So, at this point focusing on strength will yield the same results as working with more volume but with the added benefit of more strength? I might just apply this to my chest and biceps workout.

For some reason my triceps and shoulders get stronger easily. I can easily add more weight in my next workout but the same can't be said about my chest and biceps.

Since we're at this, would it be advisable to go on a cut while I'm still making noob gains? I got some extra fat I'd like to get rid of (about 5-6 kg). It's only been two months since I started working out.

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, I plan on being a natty.

Don't want my balls to shrink.

Plus, stretch marks suck. I got some around my arms and shoulders when I worked out for 4 months about 4 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

So, hypertrophy or what? :p

I mostly care about aesthetics but it can be frustrating when your strength gains are kinda slow.
You are overthinking it. Lift, eat, sleep. You are a newbie; newbiegains are your friend. Find a routine you find fun and stick to it at least six months.

It ain't that complicated unless you start juicing or want to become elite level.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
You are overthinking it. Lift, eat, sleep. You are a newbie; newbiegains are your friend. Find a routine you find fun and stick to it at least six months.

It ain't that complicated unless you start juicing or want to become elite level.
You're right :D

In my defense, I'm really enjoying going to the gym right now. It's the first time I don't feel forced to do it.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
You're right :D

In my defense, I'm really enjoying going to the gym right now. It's the first time I don't feel forced to do it.
Exploit it and make it a habit. Most newbies I see give up is either due to boredom or lack of results (thinking they can look like fake natties in six months).

Personally I've become so fond of my routine (push, pull, legs), that it in itself is enough to motivate me.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

All of this.

A routine isnt what you tried for a forthnight. Takes months to have a good comparison.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
As many of you know here that I run, I am not the runner I used to be because I found out that mixing running with other workout has made me a better runner and my runs have become more quality than quantity. Since then I have minimized my injuries quite drastically that I have been almost free from that for the past 4 years. I usually run a half marathon every May and I have decided that this will be a yearly ritual for me, I keep my running to a moderate schedule all year long and I increase the dose by the end of February/early March in preparation to the event. I started a schedule in the beginning of March but I decided to take a few days rest as I was going skiing the week after only to resume after my ski trip. Two runs and a four day rest from running where I did some lifting and core workouts. By the weekend I had extreme pain in my right foot which reminded me of Plantar Fascitis I got back in 2010. I went skiing and it was all too fine while skiing and it was hell on earth at home in the evenings. The week after my ski trip I met a physiotherapist which assured me it was not a plantar fascitis but an inflammation in the fibularis, a side muscle in the foot. I got balance workout as rehab. Nothing happend so I met another one, he gave me more balance workout and asked me to take anti inflammatory pills. After a couple of weeks without progress I decide to meet another. That third one gave me strength workout for my calve that has become weaker while avoiiding to overstrain the foot all that time. That strength workout was hell on earth and it gave me more pain so I decided to meet a doctor who in his turn sends me for X-ray. Yesterday I receive a diagnostics from the doctor after reading the x-rays, I have like a few other people in this world an extra bone, a small bone in the foot that has absolutely no fuction, some people have it, some people don't. I am one of those who have it and for some unlucky reason I got a stress fracture in it. No operation can be done on this, no cask can help it heel except rest. It might take from 3 to 6 months and running is totally forbidden.

This means I will not run the half marathon this year, this means I don't know when I can resume my running again this means it sucks donkey balls. Injuries should be forbidden.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Is it the extra navicular bone, and can you not have the bone removed? Long injuries suck.

@Zacheryah - you've probably answered this before but what footwear do you use for lifting? Can't really see in your vid but are they Olympics?

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
No operation can be done on this, no cask can help it heel except rest. It might take from 3 to 6 months and running is totally forbidden.
On the plus side you know that it will indeed heal. Many people face injuries that never quite go away. Are you supposed to take time off from lifting too or is just the repetitive stress from running that's a problem?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was going to ask about barefoot, I guess those slippers do the trick?

I've ordered a few things from Strength Shop, they are well priced. I was about to buy the cheaper adidas Powerlift version because I'm not as hardcore as you, and I read they were good for a couple of years. I'm not lifting huge weights but I've noticed the warping of trainers and foot position is not right when wearing normal athletic/running shoes.

Chucks yes or no?

- - - Updated - - -

Why the fuck does the spoiler/quote combo always end up like that? :D

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
On the plus side you know that it will indeed heal. Many people face injuries that never quite go away. Are you supposed to take time off from lifting too or is just the repetitive stress from running that's a problem?
I can do lifting but for example when I squat, my max is around 85 kg, I feel pain when I go over 40 kg. Deadlift I have not noticed anything but some off balance since my right calve is weaker at the moment. Snatch/clean and jerk cause irritation since there is a jump involved.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it the extra navicular bone, and can you not have the bone removed? Long injuries suck.

@Zacheryah - you've probably answered this before but what footwear do you use for lifting? Can't really see in your vid but are they Olympics?
No, the bone cannot be removed as it is stuck between tendons and the likes.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I can do lifting but for example when I squat, my max is around 85 kg, I feel pain when I go over 40 kg. Deadlift I have not noticed anything but some off balance since my right calve is weaker at the moment. Snatch/clean and jerk cause irritation since there is a jump involved.
Yeah that makes sense. My gf has a lot of foot issues and actually has had to have two hindfoot bones fused, she feels it when squatting too, deadlifting is not a problem. You transfer a lot of power through your feet both with squatting and deadlifting, but I guess the mechanics of squatting make you feel it much harder.

Tbh sounds like a great time to focus on (upper body) strength for a couple of months. I bet that'll make you even more enthusiastic when you do get the run when the injury's healed.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Yeah that makes sense. My gf has a lot of foot issues and actually has had to have two hindfoot bones fused, she feels it when squatting too, deadlifting is not a problem. You transfer a lot of power through your feet both with squatting and deadlifting, but I guess the mechanics of squatting make you feel it much harder.

Tbh sounds like a great time to focus on (upper body) strength for a couple of months. I bet that'll make you even more enthusiastic when you do get the run when the injury's healed.
This is exactly what I have been doing, I am working the sack quite a lot and I am not kicking, only punching. I am doing lots of chins and I will start doing military and bench press as of next week.

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009

just get some converse chuck taylor all star

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Chucks are the best.

I squat barefoot sometime, is that a bad idea?
I squatted barefoot quite a lot before I started using lifting shoes and had I not started weight lifting I would never have bought lifting shoes and continued to squat barefoot. It feels better with the raised heels but you can always have a weight plate and raise your heels on it when squatting. Deadlift is always barefoot though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)