Gym and fitness (31 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Like those belts with several small bottles of water attached to them?
That too in fact. It hasn't happened to me recently, but a few years ago I used to swim a lot and I would get cramps. Cause: dehydration. So then I would bring a bottle of water and drink during breaks in swimming, took care of it.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
That too in fact. It hasn't happened to me recently, but a few years ago I used to swim a lot and I would get cramps. Cause: dehydration. So then I would bring a bottle of water and drink during breaks in swimming, took care of it.
Am a bit puzzled as to how I should approach the swimming. Should I just dive into the pool & swim until I get tired or is there an organised way of doing it? Like a beginners training template or something?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Am a bit puzzled as to how I should approach the swimming. Should I just dive into the pool & swim until I get tired or is there an organised way of doing it? Like a beginners training template or something?
I was asking myself the exact same thing :D
But I'm in pretty horrible shape, so it's probably true to say that any swimming is good for me. I tried finding some people to ask and it was useless. One guy gave me this schedule he would use at the Olympics or something. 500m of this, yay amounts of that etc. Altogether it was like 4km, I've never swum that much in my life.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
But I'm in pretty horrible shape, so it's probably true to say that any swimming is good for me. I tried finding some people to ask and it was useless. One guy gave me this schedule he would use at the Olympics or something. 500m of this, yay amounts of that etc. Altogether it was like 4km, I've never swum that much in my life.
Olympics! :nervous: How did you approach it?

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

:howler:

Probably the same answer you'd recieve from a regular gym-goer about bodybuilding. If you're not overly serious about it, just go and swim how much you can and try and be regular at it. Pretty soon you'll have more stamina, then you'll probably try different styles and mix it up a bit. It's really no science, every freaking workout is good and there's no wrong way and right way. That's what I've learned in 8,9 months of the gym. ;)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
:howler:

Probably the same answer you'd recieve from a regular gym-goer about bodybuilding. If you're not overly serious about it, just go and swim how much you can and try and be regular at it. Pretty soon you'll have more stamina, then you'll probably try different styles and mix it up a bit. It's really no science, every freaking workout is good and there's no wrong way and right way. That's what I've learned in 8,9 months of the gym. ;)
You're telling me what you've learned is that no insight is possible, all we have is dumb experimentation? :D See, this is exactly why I tried asking someone at first, I wanted to get some knowledge from someone who knew. But I couldn't find such a person.

OFFER STILL STANDING!!!
Swimming. How often? How intensive? Should I wear myself out as much as possible every time or not? Should I swim the same every time or alternate something?

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

You're telling me what you've learned is that no insight is possible, all we have is dumb experimentation? :D See, this is exactly why I tried asking someone at first, I wanted to get some knowledge from someone who knew. But I couldn't find such a person.

OFFER STILL STANDING!!!
Swimming. How often? How intensive? Should I wear myself out as much as possible every time or not? Should I swim the same every time or alternate something?
Yes, exactly. If you've decided to get of your ass and do some exercise, after God knows how long, fact is any volume and method will do you good. After a few months, your body will tell you when and how to step it up. IMO in swimming, your first step should be endurance, so just swim as often as you can. When you get endurance, mix up styles, 2 laps one style, 2 laps other, etc. You're not going for the olympics, just swim dude.

I was like that in my first couple of months in the gym. Always researching, asking what is the best way, how often this or that, etc. When the bottom line is, no matter how good the routine is, you're a beginner and you're not gonna get some amazing results instantly. It takes a lot of time and effort. After a while you get stronger and you see how your body reacts to what exercise and stuff like that, so you know yourself how and what to do. Swimming is different, but it's even less of a science. Swim freestyle, then when you can pull a number of laps easy-peasy, try any other style and mix it up. Don't burden yourself with what other people tell you, I lost 2,3 months of gym time because of that. No one knows better than yourself. Unless you wanna go pro.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
OFFER STILL STANDING!!!
Am waiting on this meanwhile I will just go & swim until I get tired.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I was like that in my first couple of months in the gym. Always researching, asking what is the best way, how often this or that, etc. When the bottom line is, no matter how good the routine is, you're a beginner and you're not gonna get some amazing results instantly. It takes a lot of time and effort. After a while you get stronger and you see how your body reacts to what exercise and stuff like that, so you know yourself how and what to do. Swimming is different, but it's even less of a science. Swim freestyle, then when you can pull a number of laps easy-peasy, try any other style and mix it up. Don't burden yourself with what other people tell you, I lost 2,3 months of gym time because of that. No one knows better than yourself. Unless you wanna go pro.
That's not what my concern was. My concern was what is healthy, what is sustainable. If I can avoid doing something that is known to be ill advised, I'd like to know about it. And what's good for weight loss.

That's not a very heavy demand on knowledge, is it? I'm not asking how to beat the world record.

But anyway, back to Ali. When I swim I basically wear myself out. I don't necessarily set out to do this, but it's just my personality, I wanna go for it. After a while I get tired and I tell myself I should slow down and take it easy for a while. I succeed for maybe one lap, then I automatically start going faster because I sense that I can. It's a bit out of my control :D

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

I don't think anything in swimming can be ill-advised, it's probably the best cardio workout of all. Oh well, if you don't wanna listen to me and just swim, listen to that guy who recommended you the 4km various routines. :p

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
I can not imagine cycling at this water. Boz, you're crazy. :shocked:
cycle in this water? dude,you think i am Jesus?

I wonder how it'll be to cycle back and forth to my office. 18k each way. If I can do this, I can reduce this flab so easily.

I can't believe how much I've been ignoring this thread. I really need to get my body in shape.
if you drive,cycling beats it for stress relief also
if you use public transport the advantages are numerous,including being able to (in my case at least) cut the travelling time of using a bus in half

Just what made me quit & park my bike. I bought a bike in September last year & cycled 10km a day until end of November when I couldn't handle the chill & snow. Can't wait for Spring.
well i all fairness i think the weather in Stockholm fucks Edinburgh's in a game of top trumps, ya bastard:lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)