Gym and fitness (82 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
That's not the problem. I could find a lower bar but it's all about using the big one and not the one for kids. :D You should be able to stretch fully without touching ground. It will also be harder cause you won't be getting leg help.
Yeah man, use the bucket to get your grip right, kick the bucket over like you're trying to hang yourself and then go for it.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Yeah man, use the bucket to get your grip right, kick the bucket over like you're trying to hang yourself and then go for it.
This.

- - - Updated - - -

When I had $#@!load of strength on bars I couldn't do it. IMO it's all about the technique which you use. I used to do 25 pull ups but can't do a muscle up while I've seen guys do muscle up while doing 10 pull ups.

However I tried it only twice for a couple of times and I did come very close. Bar was at the height of my chest (nipples!) but I couldn't bring myself up. I think it's because of what PI is talking about -- wrist position.

How do you use a false grip if the bar is like 2.5m high (where you basically have to jump for it)?
It's 90% false grip once you can do over about 10 pull-ups.

Another issue is what grip you generally do pull-ups with? Neutral grip, and underhand grip chin-ups don't help at all, especially underhand. The last thing is range-of-motion in your pull-ups. Doing 25 pull-ups with chin barely over the bar is not beneficial to learning the muscle-up. My range-of-motion is to pull at least to my sternum. You want to be pulling as high as you possibly can, even if it means you can do half the number of pull-ups.

Once you can do 3-5 false grip pull-ups getting your entire chest above the bar, a muscle-up is easy.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
It's 90% false grip once you can do over about 10 pull-ups.

Another issue is what grip you generally do pull-ups with? Neutral grip, and underhand grip chin-ups don't help at all, especially underhand. The last thing is range-of-motion in your pull-ups. Doing 25 pull-ups with chin barely over the bar is not beneficial to learning the muscle-up. My range-of-motion is to pull at least to my sternum. You want to be pulling as high as you possibly can, even if it means you can do half the number of pull-ups.

Once you can do 3-5 false grip pull-ups getting your entire chest above the bar, a muscle-up is easy.
Oh no, I wasn't doing pullups in order to start doing muscle-ups. I was just stating that I had strength to do 25 pull-ups while not being able to do one muscle up. And yeah, I roll with a neutral grip all the time. Btw once when I tried to do it I tried for like 4-5 times and I felt like my ulna (?) was going to break, the pain was horrible :D

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Oh no, I wasn't doing pullups in order to start doing muscle-ups. I was just stating that I had strength to do 25 pull-ups while not being able to do one muscle up. And yeah, I roll with a neutral grip all the time. Btw once when I tried to do it I tried for like 4-5 times and I felt like my ulna (?) was going to break, the pain was horrible :D
Yeah. It feels terrible to do false-grip on a bar. I hate it. Even after years. Rings feel so much better, because the false-grip on rings isn't so low on the heel of the hand. It actually feels really comfortable on rings once you get used to it.

I highly recommend gymnastic rings. The best upper body workout tool out there.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
When I had shitload of strength on bars I couldn't do it. IMO it's all about the technique which you use. I used to do 25 pull ups but can't do a muscle up while I've seen guys do muscle up while doing 10 pull ups.

However I tried it only twice for a couple of times and I did come very close. Bar was at the height of my chest (nipples!) but I couldn't bring myself up. I think it's because of what PI is talking about -- wrist position.

How do you use a false grip if the bar is like 2.5m high (where you basically have to jump for it)?
i'll get back to you later :p

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Today is a great day, I finally managed to do a squat with the bar on my back, with only slight discomfort in my rotator cuff, oh and I squat 90kg's with ease, which is not to shabby considering that I didn't do squat with the bar for almost two years.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Today is a great day, I finally managed to do a squat with the bar on my back, with only slight discomfort in my rotator cuff, oh and I squat 90kg's with ease, which is not to shabby considering that I didn't do squat with the bar for almost two years.
Nice dude, how much do you weigh/how tall are you?

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
You've got 5kgs on me and same heigh, I feel less bad about you starting at 90kgs after 2 years off
Hehe, I'm pretty sure that in 2-3 weeks I will be able to squat 120 kg's, but at the moment soreness is killing me, front squats and every other leg exercise doesn't come near to back squats.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Hehe, I'm pretty sure that in 2-3 weeks I will be able to squat 120 kg's, but at the moment soreness is killing me, front squats and every other leg exercise doesn't come near to back squats.
I hate front squats, I started doing them last week and I squat at 50kgs for now, I can't feel it in my quads but holding the bar is so fucking uncomfortable

Fint

Aug 13, 2010
Back in the gym after a lengthy lay-off.

Doing mostly cardio, but throwing some strength training into the mix now as well.

Good to be back

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I hate front squats, I started doing them last week and I squat at 50kgs for now, I can't feel it in my quads but holding the bar is so $#@!ing uncomfortable
You're doing something wrong with your front squats if you cannot feel them in your quads. Front squats are more quad-dominant than back squats. This comes with the caveat that below parallel, the front squat utilizes the glutes quite heavily.. but down to parallel it's definitely the more quad intensive version.

How much weight are you lifting compared to back squat right now? That could be the answer to not feeling it. Generally you want to be at 90-95% of your high bar back squat....

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
You're doing something wrong with your front squats if you cannot feel them in your quads. Front squats are more quad-dominant than back squats. This comes with the caveat that below parallel, the front squat utilizes the glutes quite heavily.. but down to parallel it's definitely the more quad intensive version.

How much weight are you lifting compared to back squat right now? That could be the answer to not feeling it. Generally you want to be at 90-95% of your high bar back squat....
The weight is why I'm not feeling it much in my quads. I can get to about 8reps at 50kgs before my arms getting really uncomfortable at that position, I've been told that this passes after a while

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 77)