Gym and fitness (169 Viewers)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
What's the best way to get better at chin ups. I'm awful. Can barely get 1. Other weights I do pretty well for my size. I'm not great at push ups either actually. But if I'm benching I'm not bad.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
What's the best way to get better at chin ups. I'm awful. Can barely get 1. Other weights I do pretty well for my size. I'm not great at push ups either actually. But if I'm benching I'm not bad.
Do they have an assist pull up bar at your gym? I just started doing few reps lots of sets and built the reps and lowered the reps over time

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do more of them and lose weight. But most importantly do more of them. It's difficult to overtrain the upper back anyway.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I probably dont need to lose any weight to be honest, I just need to build strength. I weigh like 70 kg im about 175cm
I didn't say you had to lose weight. Just that it will make pull ups easier. A great max pull up number is not the be all and end all.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Take up rock climbing :D

More realistic answer is assisted pull-up machine for one exercise, though this only somewhat mimics the pull-up as your body doesn't hang at the same angle, so the pulling angle is quite a ways off.... so supplementary work in both slow negatives and static holds in various positions of the pull-up with full bodyweight work really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck. All you guys who do high intensity intervals on a regular basis... I have mad respect for you. I just did my first interval workout in about 2 years. Hill sprints with a 15 kg weight vest on. I almost threw up after the 30 min. Couldn't even go into the rest of my workout without a 30 min break to recover.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
assist pull ups and chin ups. i had the same problem and this was what i was recommended and it helepd. also even one or two reps if u can do them at ur body weight will help ur slow twitch muscles get used to them.

i would suggest u do reverse barbell rows as well to build arm strength.

using those i can now do 8-10 chin ups even when i bulk and weigh 20 pounds more than my summer weight

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Take up rock climbing :D

More realistic answer is assisted pull-up machine for one exercise, though this only somewhat mimics the pull-up as your body doesn't hang at the same angle, so the pulling angle is quite a ways off.... so supplementary work in both slow negatives and static holds in various positions of the pull-up with full bodyweight work really well.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck. All you guys who do high intensity intervals on a regular basis... I have mad respect for you. I just did my first interval workout in about 2 years. Hill sprints with a 15 kg weight vest on. I almost threw up after the 30 min. Couldn't even go into the rest of my workout without a 30 min break to recover.
assist pull ups and chin ups. i had the same problem and this was what i was recommended and it helepd. also even one or two reps if u can do them at ur body weight will help ur slow twitch muscles get used to them.

i would suggest u do reverse barbell rows as well to build arm strength.

using those i can now do 8-10 chin ups even when i bulk and weigh 20 pounds more than my summer weight
Do reverse pull ups. Jump up instead of pulling yourself up until your neck is over the bar, and slowly lower yourself.
Gracias amigos.

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009
Did something fucking stupid today...my pt has given me a compound heavy schedule for four weeks and today was front squats (fuck front squats) and barbell lunges. I haven't done barbell lunges before but I figure that I warm up with 60kgs on my back squat, and lift 100-110 depending on my back, so 60kgs would be a fair weight to do lunges on.

It was only at the moment my knee went down that I remembered that the lunge is a one leg exercise :sergio:

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Did something fucking stupid today...my pt has given me a compound heady schedule for four weeks and today was front squats (fuck front squats) and barbell lunges. I haven't done barbell lunges before but I figure that I warm up with 60kgs on my back squat, and lift 100-110 depending on my back, so 60kgs would be a fair weight to do lunges on.

It was only at the moment my knee went down that I remembered that the lunge is a one leg exercise :sergio:
Oh no. Did you bust anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 165)

• JCK