Gym and fitness (18 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
I don't know whats wrong with me! I was doing incline bench and all of the sudden my shoulder jammed and i'm thinking... oh shit. And when i tried to dropped the weight it twisted it. Terrible terrible pain. These injuries are really hindering my growth.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
mm.. my form is pretty solid. Ive been going to the gym regularly for 4 years so I've had plenty of practice anyway. I think ive got weakness in the back of my shoulder. Its easy to neglect the smaller, much much weaker muscles and I think that's the problem in the back of both my shoulders.
But that's just a guess.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
it has nothing to do with muscles its the joint
Yeah but muscles hold the joint in its place. Its the weakest part of my shoulder and it keep popping out there every time I lift my arms above my head. But, If its my rotator cuff that's the problem. Then I'm in a great deal of strife.
Don't know if you know about this but....Supposedly this is a wonder of a stretch for most things shoulder related;
http://www.crossfiteastside.com/2007/05/dowel-dislocates.html

It's really hard to do properly but a LOT of people swear they fixed their shoulder problems with that. Obviously you'll need to heal your shoulder first.
Cheers Vlatko, appreciate it.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Im taking a break of weights so i susbcribed to boxing classes the other day...

Im having fun as hell..... but is also difficult.. is very exhausting....

The trainers make me feel like as useless as Tiago, because they smack me with their gloves (theirs are the ones trainers use , flat gloves to be punched if you know what i mean) and scream to me like crazy and sometimes i cant cope with the pace...

Also there are some girls that would kick the shit out of me O_O

Well those were the first days... now im getting pretty good with the training sets and the box thingy.

Il Re

-- 10 --
Jan 13, 2005
Im taking a break of weights so i susbcribed to boxing classes the other day...

Im having fun as hell..... but is also difficult.. is very exhausting....

The trainers make me feel like as useless as Tiago, because they smack me with their gloves (theirs are the ones trainers use , flat gloves to be punched if you know what i mean) and scream to me like crazy and sometimes i cant cope with the pace...

Also there are some girls that would kick the shit out of me O_O

Well those were the first days... now im getting pretty good with the training sets and the box thingy.
thats good though man, no point just doing weights, this kind of training will do you wonders, boxing training is intense and tough, not to mention the fact you will much tougher in a fight! good stuff and keep it up! :tup:

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Rite, experts, question here.

What to do if I wanna make my chest bigger? Compaired to my arms, I'm not satisfied with my chest size. Less reps, more weight, right? Any solid advice here, which excercises, sets, reps?

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
thats good though man, no point just doing weights, this kind of training will do you wonders, boxing training is intense and tough, not to mention the fact you will much tougher in a fight! good stuff and keep it up! :tup:
Boxing is such good cardio work out! Why not do both though, unless you don't have the time.
Rite, experts, question here.

What to do if I wanna make my chest bigger? Compaired to my arms, I'm not satisfied with my chest size. Less reps, more weight, right? Any solid advice here, which excercises, sets, reps?
Generally you should start to fail at 8 - 10 reps and if a spotter can help u push out an extra two while you fail your reps then that is excellent. 3 sets of each exercise.
Ok brother. Firstly, think about what exercises you're doing. You may have been doing the same thing for too long and need to change your routine. So you've got different parts of the pectoral that all need attention (upper, lower and middle). But you also have two types of exercises, pushing for width, and fly type exercises for wideness of the pecs that really shape them.
You should do all of these exercises in your routine except for bottom pecs where you can alternate between dips and cross overs. Of course in your routine you can vary how you do your exercises between your routines but that's at your discretion.

Upper. Like I said two types of exercises and both are imperative.

Incline bench press x 3. Incline bench is usually tougher than normal because its a weaker part of your chest so you'll find you're doing half or two thirds of the weight you bench unless you have quite strong shoulders. You can mix it up by doing dumbell press or barbell press. You'd be surprised by how much of a difference it can make by switching between the two when you need to change your routine.

Incline fly x 3. Same principals here but with fly. You can use cables or free weight.

That's upper for me. Switch around between free weight, cables and bars if you feel your body needs a change.

Middle. I won't repeat myself too much.

Bench press x 3. Switch between bar and free weight! But free weight should be priority. It will give you a nice stretch in your pecs and it seems to be generally more effective.

Fly x 3. Same thing. Cables and free weights. I use cables standing mostly. Its hard to get free weight right with form.

Note: If you really want to destroy your pecs. Between each of these sets do either 6 more reps of a lighter weight or push ups just to push them a little bit extra.

Bottom.

Declined bench press x 3. Exact opposite to inclined of course. Adjust your bench so you are on a downward angle and bench like normal. Only free weight is possible with this unless you can find a declined bar bench :D.

Dips x 3. If you don't know it. Youtube it. For extra weight you may need a weight belt or put a dumbell between you feet. You may do up to 15 reps with dips.

Cable cross overs x 3. My favorite pec shaping exercise and finisher! Not much to say. Pretty lightweight exercise i allow myself up to 15 reps again with this.

Note: always do the declined bench but you may alternate between cable cross overs and dips. And if you didn't do push ups between your middle pec sets then do them as a finisher after your dips/cable cross overs.

I don't think i'm forgetting anything. Remember to change your routine when need (for me about every month or so). Good luck buddy.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Good stuff Dule :tup:

@Vlatko: I usually combine Incline and Decline bench press one day, than next day I train shoulders and than day after that regular bench press. Also try to combine barbell and dumbbells. Also try to do different exercises every training.

I also have friend who actually didn't have chests at all and he tried to put more weight and less reps, but after some period he found that less weight and more reps are better for him.

My advice would be to try as much different excersies you can and after training you will see which ones are best for you and than do them more than others, also push-ups are good, I do one or two seriers with 40-50 reps every day.

Here is my chest training:
day one: I do regular bench press first with barbell and I put my hands pretty wide I do 5 series of this, than I do 5 more series bit this time I take barbell narrow, after this I do 5 series of dumbell press and dumbell flyers. Afcourse with this sometime I combine dips (when I have where to do them), pullover and some other excersises.

day two: I'm doing shoulders or back

day three: First I do incline bench press 5 series (narrow and wide), than 5 series of incline bench press dumbbels and dumbbel flyes. Than I almost do the same on decline bench press.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Generally you should start to fail at 8 - 10 reps and if a spotter can help u push out an extra two while you fail your reps then that is excellent. 3 sets of each exercise.
Ok brother. Firstly, think about what exercises you're doing. You may have been doing the same thing for too long and need to change your routine. So you've got different parts of the pectoral that all need attention (upper, lower and middle). But you also have two types of exercises, pushing for width, and fly type exercises for wideness of the pecs that really shape them.
You should do all of these exercises in your routine except for bottom pecs where you can alternate between dips and cross overs. Of course in your routine you can vary how you do your exercises between your routines but that's at your discretion.

Upper. Like I said two types of exercises and both are imperative.

Incline bench press x 3. Incline bench is usually tougher than normal because its a weaker part of your chest so you'll find you're doing half or two thirds of the weight you bench unless you have quite strong shoulders. You can mix it up by doing dumbell press or barbell press. You'd be surprised by how much of a difference it can make by switching between the two when you need to change your routine.

Incline fly x 3. Same principals here but with fly. You can use cables or free weight.

That's upper for me. Switch around between free weight, cables and bars if you feel your body needs a change.

Middle. I won't repeat myself too much.

Bench press x 3. Switch between bar and free weight! But free weight should be priority. It will give you a nice stretch in your pecs and it seems to be generally more effective.

Fly x 3. Same thing. Cables and free weights. I use cables standing mostly. Its hard to get free weight right with form.

Note: If you really want to destroy your pecs. Between each of these sets do either 6 more reps of a lighter weight or push ups just to push them a little bit extra.

Bottom.

Declined bench press x 3. Exact opposite to inclined of course. Adjust your bench so you are on a downward angle and bench like normal. Only free weight is possible with this unless you can find a declined bar bench :D.

Dips x 3. If you don't know it. Youtube it. For extra weight you may need a weight belt or put a dumbell between you feet. You may do up to 15 reps with dips.

Cable cross overs x 3. My favorite pec shaping exercise and finisher! Not much to say. Pretty lightweight exercise i allow myself up to 15 reps again with this.

Note: always do the declined bench but you may alternate between cable cross overs and dips. And if you didn't do push ups between your middle pec sets then do them as a finisher after your dips/cable cross overs.

I don't think i'm forgetting anything. Remember to change your routine when need (for me about every month or so). Good luck buddy.
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.

I do most of these excercises, bar Cable Cross Overs and Decline Bench. I also neglected my push-ups since joining the gym.

I used to start with 4 sets of flat bench press, with reps till failure, usually 15x12x10x8, which always left me pretty exhausted so my incline bench really suffered(I could barely do 2 sets). I never figured to start with the harder of the two(incline) and to flat bench afterwards(I blame the gym coach for this).

There's some pretty good tips here, I will try to apply them tommorow and see how it goes.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it.

I do most of these excercises, bar Cable Cross Overs and Decline Bench. I also neglected my push-ups since joining the gym.

I used to start with 4 sets of flat bench press, with reps till failure, usually 15x12x10x8, which always left me pretty exhausted so my incline bench really suffered(I could barely do 2 sets). I never figured to start with the harder of the two(incline) and to flat bench afterwards(I blame the gym coach for this).

There's some pretty good tips here, I will try to apply them tommorow and see how it goes.
No worries dude i'm glad to help anyone who wants to get into it and build up :tup:
Well of course you can mix it up. Most people do start with their flat bench because its the strongest part.
Yeah in regards to your number of reps you really should be starting to struggle at 8. And if you can get a spotter they can help you out with the rest. You probably know already but i didn't mention 60 seconds of rest between sets and try to get to your next exercise as soon as possible. Keep it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)