Green Card (10 Viewers)

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #82
    About a million swedes immigrated to America by the end of the 19th century. As for Jews and Italians that still has an impact.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    the swedish quarter here is called andersanville, it's nothing big ,swedish bakeries/restaurants here and there. Mirroring the great scandinavian spirit of acceptance it's become lesbo town lol

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    That's if you can stand the nasty accent :shifty:

It's fun to see all the people here who either don't want to live where they do or they've moved around a lot to figure out where they want to be. :toast:
    Yeah, the accent sucks but its something you get used to

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I can't believe the Norwegians on the forum are complaining about accents :D

I'll go as far as saying that Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are all accents/dialects and came from the same language. Somewhere in history something went wrong, and we ended up with Danish and Norwegian. Swedish is by far the most comprehensible of them all. So you guys can't complain :D

Come back home, Zé :toast:
    :touched:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Screw you all, my accent rocks :mad:
    Actually it does, we're talking about all the others. :D

I can't believe the Norwegians on the forum are complaining about accents :D

I'll go as far as saying that Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish are all accents/dialects and came from the same language. Somewhere in history something went wrong, and we ended up with Danish and Norwegian. Swedish is by far the most comprehensible of them all. So you guys can't complain :D
    That would be Norwegian :eyebrows:

Btw Danish is a diiiiiistant cousin of both of ours. :D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    So we were talking about dialects and how different they can be. Like distinct languages sometimes.

Here's a map of Norwegian dialects:
    http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/nos/nos_kart.html

Contrast this one (basically correct standard Norwegian):
    http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/nos/?nosid=nos22001
    With this one from the Trondheim region:
    http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/nos/?nosid=nos09004
    Remember Lene Marlin? Tromsø:
    http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/nos/?nosid=nos03003
    And then let's try Stavanger:
    http://www.ling.hf.ntnu.no/nos/?nosid=nos18003

And these recordings are actually very pure dialect, what you usually encounter from people who speak in a dialect is more deviation than this.

So when you're Norwegian you're pretty much expected to understand each and every dialect. As a kid I found this very distressful, some I didn't get at all. But when you hear enough of it on tv, it eventually becomes easy.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Then I think I should post m Swedish link, I think Ze Tahir would enjoy it :D

http://swedia.ling.umu.se/snabbmeny.html

So when you're Norwegian you're pretty much expected to understand each and every dialect. As a kid I found this very distressful, some I didn't get at all. But when you hear enough of it on tv, it eventually becomes easy.
    I heard a story about Petra's sister when she was three years old, they were in Skåne somewhere and people were talking with her, I can't remember about what but her reaction was a question to her mother:

"Mamma, varför pratar de inte svenska med mig?" (Mamma, why aren't they speaking Swedish with me?"

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Actually it does, we're talking about all the others. :D

That would be Norwegian :eyebrows:

Btw Danish is a diiiiiistant cousin of both of ours. :D
    Imagine this scenario. You and I go to Köpenhamn, we both would say "What the hell are they saying??" right? Now if a Dane and I went to Oslo, I think the Dane would understand you guys better than I would, at least that's what I think. Then if you and a Dane came to Stockholm, you both would understand me but I would still be like "What the hell did you say?"

I don't know, what do you think? And Jeeks, please fill in :D

No, don't encourage him. We need him to help teach my compatriots something about real football before he leaves.

Then yeah, he can get the fuck outta here. :D
    :toast:

Oct 3, 2004
    Very interesting Martin. Altho I didnt understand a word, the Stavanger one sounds like she's going to crack up in the middle of her sentence :D

I thought Norway was voted one of the best places to live in the world. My older brother is actually trying to immigrate there to do an MBA first, and then try to find a job/settle down etc.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Imagine this scenario. You and I go to Köpenhamn, we both would say "What the hell are they saying??" right? Now if a Dane and I went to Oslo, I think the Dane would understand you guys better than I would, at least that's what I think. Then if you and a Dane came to Stockholm, you both would understand me but I would still be like "What the hell did you say?"
    That's just because you Swedish are daft :p If we can understand you, you should be able to understand us. :eyebrows:

As for using the Danish as a yardstick... :howler:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Very interesting Martin. Altho I didnt understand a word, the Stavanger one sounds like she's going to crack up in the middle of her sentence :D

I thought Norway was voted one of the best places to live in the world. My older brother is actually trying to immigrate there to do an MBA first, and then try to find a job/settle down etc.
    Come on over, we got the space :D

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I lived in Köbenhavn for one month, I had a big grin while speaking with Danes :D and they thought it was because they had a sense of humour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)