Green Card (5 Viewers)

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #21
    :lol: Okay, go for a tan on a Manhattan sidewalk in February; it's the exact same weather there as it is here in Southern Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, St. Catherines/Niagara). Vancouver, British Columbia is just a little bit north of Seattle, and they both share the exact same climate (rain, rain, drizzle, rain).
    I actually realized that when writing it. :disagree: But the weather has a minor impact on my decision although I wouldn't move to a colder climate.

Thing is though, you could keep wondering what it would be like or you could chase the dream. I say you do it: I did with Italy. And for me it destroyed a lot of illusions (though looking back I'm glad I went and it wasn't bad) but if I hadn't gone, I would have always wondered "What if". I know it sounds poetic but it's reality.

Send a letter to the US embassy in your country, they can help you out.

Back in my football days I also dreamed about living in Italy. Then I passed by the country for a few days while interrailing and it crushed most of my illusions too.
    I realized during that trip that I need a working civilization. A society where trains don't just disappear, a country where you're not offered heroin first thing when you step off the train and where you don't have to fall asleep to carhorns.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Back in my football days I also dreamed about living in Italy. Then I passed by the country for a few days while interrailing and it crushed most of my illusions too.
    I realized during that trip that I need a working civilization. A society where trains don't just disappear, a country where you're not offered heroin first thing when you step off the train and where you don't have to fall asleep to carhorns.
    :howler: :dielaugh:

Amazing :toast:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    i see though i dont think seattle is remotely close to a chicago or a new orleans in matters of jazz. As for competence i dont know how thats measured. As for the answer to your problem, it lies actually in your opening post. You need to figure out the personal quality that would make a company in the US hire you instead of someone from the domestic pool, and go through the troubles and bureaucracy of immigration procedures.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #27
    As for competence i dont know how thats measured. As for the answer to your problem, it lies actually in your opening post. You need to figure out the personal quality that would make a company in the US hire you instead of someone from the domestic pool, and go through the troubles and bureaucracy of immigration procedures.
    Yeah, my plan is to study my last year or hopefully two years in Seattle. My university has a very nice bilateral exchange program with Seattle's technical university. Which is very well renowned, Bill Gates has put big money in that university as being an alumni from it.

i see though i dont think seattle is remotely close to a chicago or a new orleans in matters of jazz.
    New Orleans is too much south for me. Chicago does certainly have better musicians and a wider jazz scene than Seattle. But Seattle has the biggest lindy hop scene in America and I have a lot of friends living there.

By the way. Can you actually say "remotely close"? It sounds like a paradox if you translate it to swedish.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    You live in Sweden? So how long do you have to get your citizenship? Once you get it, you can move to USA on the same day.

By the way it is funny that I have met people from Uppsala, Västerås, Umeå, Lund, Gävle and Borås and they all claim that these cities are the fifth largest city in Sweden :D

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Australia is the place to go. Its really easy to get a citizenship and they'll even find you a job etc. Just google the website of your local Australian embassy and the info will be there. I used to think it was too far away but you have places like Hong Kong, Japan, S.Korea, Thailand, etc. close by and theyre way more developed and globalized than I thought they would be.

Actually I once met a spanish girl that ended up getting a residency visa or whatever the name of that is in the US because she proved she could "teach spanish" better than any american because she had a background in jewish studies (the school were she was teaching spanish was jewish). It wasnt that hard for her to find, actually. She had been living in boston for like a year and met some lawyer that helped her with all the process, but Ive heard some cases that were exactly the opposite. Personally I wouldnt go through all the trouble of doing that unless it came easily like it did for that girl. Youre better off going to Australia if getting a green card is gonna be a hard and long process

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #31
    You live in Sweden? So how long do you have to get your citizenship? Once you get it, you can move to USA on the same day.

By the way it is funny that I have met people from Uppsala, Västerås, Umeå, Lund, Gävle and Borås and they all claim that these cities are the fifth largest city in Sweden :D
    Borås? Fifth?!
    What do they have? A bankcrupt textile mill and two Svenssons?

Uppsala is fifth or fourth anyway.

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Borås? Fifth?!
    What do they have? A bankcrupt textile mill and two Svenssons?

Uppsala is fifth or fourth anyway.
    Anyway so we won't argue much, let me present my numbers.

According to SCB (Statistika Central Byrån), here are the top 10 cities according to the number of people (in thousands)

Stockholm 765.04
    Göteborg 484.55 Det bästa som finns :pint:
    Malmö 270
    Västerås 130.55
    Örebro 126.98
    Uppsala 124.04
    Umeå 110.5
    Linköping 96.46
    Helsingborg 91.2
    Norrköping 88.59

Uppsala stays in sixth place and the only reason it is up there is because of the university. I slightly increases during the summer because of it's wonderful festival :pint:

But you didn't answer my question, how long do you have to get your citizenship?

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    We come from pretty similar conditions. I used to live in Stockholm but today I live in Uppsala. Which is the fifth biggest town in Sweden and probably about as big as Trondheim. But still too small. Especially small in the way that it is isolated, both the people and geographically speaking.
    I think Stockholm pretty much set the border for what town I want to live in. I can not imagine smaller but I wouldn't mind bigger. And just as in your case more south or less isolated.

Holland could be an option for me too. If it's not America then it will be something in central Europe. Suisse and Belgium are most likely right now.
    No matter where I end up it will never be as I expect it to be. But in Seattle or New York I don't think I will be bored. I might not get what I want but I could get something else as opposed to little Uppsala where you have two or three things to choose between.

Edit: Uppsala is really nice when you are a student but I'm sure that when I leave that period in my life there won't be much (or enough) left.
    You are in the same situation as I was a few years ago. I grew up in Uppsala and when I was 13 I visited my relatives in the States and I too felt that this place is the kind of place I wanna be in. Two years later our family moved here and I went through a huge shock period. I didn't realize there are huge differences between coming here as a tourist and coming here to live. The first 3-4 years of being here, I hated it. Mostly because it was hard making new friends (American kids are assholes :D ) which made it really annoying since I had tons of friends back in Uppsala, secondly I didn't have a license and if you want to get around in this country you have to have one. So the first couple of years I literally spent at home, bored out of my mind and extremely annoyed by the constant interaction with my folks :D The I got my license and I started to enjoy myself.

Now it's been about 8 years and I still miss Uppsala. Only after moving here did I discover how nice Sweden really was. But I do agree with you that Uppsala is a small town and when you get older you get that feeling that "OK it's time to move, there is nothing to do here". After moving here I decided that once I'm done with my studies I'm going to move back, but after visiting there twice since I came here I've realized that it'll probably be really boring to live in a city where nothing really happens and there is really not much to do. Nevertheless, I do plan on moving to Europe, because it simply matches my lifestyle more. Main reason is the balance of life there. Over here people are mainly money hungry and their lives revolve around that. They wake up, drop their kids to school, take the 2.5hr drive to work in rush hour traffic, leave work and do the same thing again, pick their kids, go home, have dinner, go to sleep. After doing that 365 days of year they get stressed. Then the stress causes them to go shoot their coworkers or their classmates. I can't live like that :D In Europe there is a balance between work and relaxation, the way it should be everywhere.

Though there is no denying that there are lots of job opportunities here and the money is good. At the end of the day it's all up to you, what type of life you would prefer i.e.

USA tempts me so much more. Canada is too cold and Australia is too spread out.
    Dude, Sweden is just as cold, if not more :D

Uppsala is the 4th largest city in Sweden though :D

Oct 3, 2004
    I've also been considering the immigration plan except to Canada. I have so many relatives and friends there...having the passport makes life so easy, not requiring a visa to go to most places etc.

But the cost of it over a 5 year span would be over $10,000...honestly I'd much rather live in a European country.

The ultimate dream would be to return to Greece, where I spent most of my childhood/early teen years. But it's very difficult to obtain citizenship there.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Nevertheless, I do plan on moving to Europe, because it simply matches my lifestyle more.
    Come back home, Zé :toast:

That was beautiful. Just poetic :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)