Green Card (2 Viewers)

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Dialects are very important to me. I can't hang around people from the northern areas of my country nor the western because they sound too damn funny. The only cool Norwegian dialect is the one I use and I'm not just saying it because it's mine, it's a fact. I'm sure Martin can confirm that, seeing as he kinda already did.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I hate dialects. I'm a big supporter of unified languages (thank God for TV).

My sister's boyfriend is from the East, near the German border. I have no idea what he's talking about for, like, half of the time. Very disturbing.

I grew up with a dialect as well, but I learned proper Dutch. Some people either don't seem capable of learning their country's official language, or they just don't want to. Either way that's pretty sad imo.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Interesting; I didn't know about the dialects in Norway. I'm experiencing a similar thing living in Daegu instead of Seoul. Korea pretty much has a different dialect for every province, and while most of them aren't grating or 'ugly', some of them just leave me thinking "why the hell would you pronounce it like that?" If you're not familiar with the dialect, it can sound like a completely different language.
I don't know anything about Korea (there I said it :p ) but in Norway it's pretty obvious because the country is not densely populated and insanely mountainous through the ages different dialects developed in every town that was cut off from the rest of the world. Meanwhile we were Denmark's little brother so the official language was Danish (and today's Norwegian bears a strong resemblance to it) at a time just after the plague had ravished the country, so that original Norwegian language was sort of lost. This one jackass traveled all through the country talking to people to try and revive the old language and came up with "New Norwegian", which some idiots in the capital decided would be a great idea to impose on the nation as a second language (not really a separate language because they're so similar, but the spelling and grammar vary slightly and you're obligated to learn both in school).

Anyway, the regional patriotism is pretty strong and dialects wouldn't be so inbred if people weren't so "proud" of them. :faq1: In Trondheim you have that whole local pride thing with Trondheim and Rosenborg which to me has always been incredibly annoying. Which again brings me back to what I said to Zambrotta earlier in this thread.

Like any good Australian, I'll deflect the bashing to the New Zealanders. The NZ accent is pretty much the same as the Australian one, but they pronounce "e" like "i" and "i" like "eu" (rhyming with the last syllable of "bitter")

So they'd pronounce "chemistry" as "chimeustry", and "fish and chips" as "fush and chups". If you want to immitate the NZ accent, just purse your lips together and make your mouth really tiny.
I'm perfectly okay with bashing the NZ'ers :D

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Couldn't agree more!
Tell me if you have this in Scandinavia:

"A dialect continuum is a network of dialects in which geographically adjacent dialects are mutually comprehensible, but with comprehensibility steadily decreasing as distance between the dialects increases. An example is the Dutch-German dialect continuum, a vast network of dialects with two recognized literary standards. Although mutual intelligibility between standard Dutch and standard German is very limited, a chain of dialects connects them."

Basically it means I struggle to understand my sister's boyfriend because their local dialect is closely intertwined with German dialects on the other side of the border whereas the dialect I grew up in is closely related to Flemish and French dialects nearby.

We were in Dunkerque once: we didn't speak French so we tried our dialect (Zealandic) and it resembled the Dunkerque dialect so much we could communicate with the locals as if they were our neighbours :howler:

Ludicrous :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
So what are you saying gray, that you're extremely short? :p
I said shoulder to shoulder, not head to shoulder, you ass :D

We were in Dunkerque once: we didn't speak French so we tried our dialect (Zealandic) and it resembled the Dunkerque dialect so much we could communicate with the locals as if they were our neighbours :howler:
Haha, that's interesting :) Kind of reminds me of my time in Paris - I had more success using basic Italian words to communicate than a combination of English and frantic body language.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Dialects are very important to me. I can't hang around people from the northern areas of my country nor the western because they sound too damn funny. The only cool Norwegian dialect is the one I use and I'm not just saying it because it's mine, it's a fact. I'm sure Martin can confirm that, seeing as he kinda already did.
I hate the concept of dialects and as such I think it actually makes no sense to call anything "Oslodialekt". That's not a dialect, *that's* the real thing. Then there's slang which is again different. Slang is for adding color, dialect is because you grew up on a farm.

As Erik says, tv helps for this. I find it somewhat comforting to be in a country where dialects are either very pale (almost the same as the standard language) or just not used. In Poland there's no issue of not understanding someone from the West because you're from the capital, we all speak the same language.

In Norway this is a huge pain and it strongly colors your form of expression. As you say you can't communicate with people which is true, because they just have this whole other way of thinking about the world in a sense. So no it's not just pronunciation, it goes far beyond that in some cases.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000

"A dialect continuum is a network of dialects in which geographically adjacent dialects are mutually comprehensible, but with comprehensibility steadily decreasing as distance between the dialects increases. An example is the Dutch-German dialect continuum, a vast network of dialects with two recognized literary standards. Although mutual intelligibility between standard Dutch and standard German is very limited, a chain of dialects connects them."

Basically it means I struggle to understand my sister's boyfriend because their local dialect is closely intertwined with German dialects on the other side of the border whereas the dialect I grew up in is closely related to Flemish and French dialects nearby.
I think that's probably the case always. It's only logical that you have a certain fluency in this, it would be quite strange if you had discrete segments completely unconnected.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
I think that's probably the case always. It's only logical that you have a certain fluency in this, it would be quite strange if you had discrete segments completely unconnected.
You would think so, but that does happen. Austrian and Hungarian dialects, for example, though direct neighbours and for a long period in history part of the same empire, barely resemble each other.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005

Ludicrous :D
What Martin said :cool:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
no no! If you're shoulder to shoulder with someone from Korea, you're pretty short! :)
:)

Actually, that leads me on to a completely unrelated topic... I'd always wondered why Koreans (and Asians in general) have always been so physically inferior to the rest of the world in terms of height and size, and I think it all comes down to nutrition (well, in Korea's case anyway).

We've a rich and proud history of war, and being occupied and bullied by all of our neighouring nations, meaning that the past __ generations of Koreans up until now grew up in poverty and malnutrition.

Now that living standards have dramatically increased in Korea, I see more and more that the general populous is taller, bigger and healthier than generations past.

The reason I actually got thinking about this is that I was wondering why it's only recently that Asian athletes have started making any kind of impact on the world stage, and I'm pretty certain it's along the same line of reasoning.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
:)

Actually, that leads me on to a completely unrelated topic... I'd always wondered why Koreans (and Asians in general) have always been so physically inferior to the rest of the world in terms of height and size, and I think it all comes down to nutrition (well, in Korea's case anyway).

We've a rich and proud history of war, and being occupied and bullied by all of our neighouring nations, meaning that the past __ generations of Koreans up until now grew up in poverty and malnutrition.

Now that living standards have dramatically increased in Korea, I see more and more that the general populous is taller, bigger and healthier than generations past.

The reason I actually got thinking about this is that I was wondering why it's only recently that Asian athletes have started making any kind of impact on the world stage, and I'm pretty certain it's along the same line of reasoning.
Wikipedia says: "Many Asians are still on a diet that depresses growth. A typical Asian diet contains little calcium, little protein, and accommodates a relatively large amount of soybean products, which contain isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogen that acts like a female hormone. Asians take in little iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin D, which causes growth retardation."

Since I've never been to Asia, you're gonna have to confirm/deny that for me

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Wikipedia says: "Many Asians are still on a diet that depresses growth. A typical Asian diet contains little calcium, little protein, and accommodates a relatively large amount of soybean products, which contain isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogen that acts like a female hormone. Asians take in little iron, Vitamin A and Vitamin D, which causes growth retardation."

Since I've never been to Asia, you're gonna have to confirm/deny that for me
That's completely true. The diet severely lacks (dare I say) most of the essential ingredients in a healthy, balanced diet. When I look around, I'm surrounded by senior citizens who walk hunched over, presumably because they didn't get enough calcium and protein in their diet.

Even today, 99.9% of Koreans eat pretty much the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner - a bowl of rice accompanied by some side dishes made of vegetables with some kind of dressing/sauce/marinade.

Nowadays there are a few more meat dishes, because the country can afford it, but in general the diet is pretty much the same thing.

That brings me to another theory that I've been thinking about, regarding the whole Korean diet. Because of its poor past, my speculation is that everything that Koreans eat was derived from the need to add some flavour to a bland bowl of rice, resulting in a host of different vegetables serving as a base for different sauces. It's ridiculous how much washing up they have to do over here after one meal, because they have a million little plates with different side dishes in them.

Then again, the one positive that can be drawn from all this is that it's very rare to see an overweight Korean.

But we're getting a little off topic now :)

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #80
    How much left do you still have to become a Swedish citizen.

Hur länge har du kvar tills du får ditt medborgarskap? Jag pratar inte om uppehållstillståndet.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I'm a born Swede.

It is an advantage to be Swedish when applying for green card in America but I'll still have to show that I'm good enough to compete with Americans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)