Green Card (1 Viewer)

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
I've always dreamt of living in America, especially New York or Seattle. But of course I would need a job to afford it. How hard is it to get a green card. I'm currently studying environmental engineering, a field where there are lots of jobs at the moment. I might change to studying medicine though.

How hard is it to get a green card in America. As I've understood it you have to assure that you can "do the job better than any american". But how big is the competition, especially from other parts of the world who have the same dream as I do?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003

Forget about it, didn't you hear about the global warming? America is gonna be under the ocean soon.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
I've always dreamt of living in America, especially New York or Seattle. But of course I would need a job to afford it. How hard is it to get a green card. I'm currently studying environmental engineering, a field where there are lots of jobs at the moment. I might change to studying medicine though.

How hard is it to get a green card in America. As I've understood it you have to assure that you can "do the job better than any american". But how big is the competition, especially from other parts of the world who have the same dream as I do?
why dont u go to Canada or Australia instead there is a greater chance over there compared to the United States.

sadmir

Aug 18, 2006

The only case to get a green card for u is if ur country is in the war, so u can come to usa as a refugee, or if u know G.Bush personaly :), otherwise ur stuck where u r.

Kosta

The Eccentric
Jul 16, 2006
You could participate in Green card lottery and if you get lucky you will get your green card for free

BTW, i think that you can apply online and free of charge...

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I had the same thoughts as you many years ago. Then gradually I substituted "USA" for "central Europe". Much cheaper too :D

One thing though. When you have these high hopes and dreams about a certain place you want to be, there's a pretty big chance you'll be disappointed by what you find. I think everyone should know that before they go.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #10
    I had the same thoughts as you many years ago. Then gradually I substituted "USA" for "central Europe". Much cheaper too :D

One thing though. When you have these high hopes and dreams about a certain place you want to be, there's a pretty big chance you'll be disappointed by what you find. I think everyone should know that before they go.
    Oh, I see you live in Holland now. Are you enjoying it more than Norway?

Yeah, that's a good point. I have noticed myself and many others who have had these high hopes about places and things and end up getting disappointed. But the thing is that I also fear I will be more disappointed if I don't do it. I've enjoyed my time and the people I've met in USA so much that I think there's no better place for me.
    As I see it now I cant see how I would be disappointed if I make it to New York or Seattle. I love big towns, the climate is good and that's the place where I can find both work and do my interests.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Oh, I see you live in Holland now. Are you enjoying it more than Norway?
    I've talked a lot about this in the past and I don't want to sound disparaging and give Trondheim/Norway a bad name, cause it's not a bad place. But it's hard to express what's "wrong" with it.

It's "in the wrong place" if you will. Too isolated, to shut down from outside influence, the people are too consumed in their own country and city. And that to me is depressing, because I like to live in a place where it feels like things are happening, and I like feeling in touch with "the world" so to speak.

And Holland IS that kind of place. The diversity here is so much greater, the country is still very Dutch, but you have so much more outside influence if you *want to* be receptive to it. And you really feel that you're *in* Europe when you live here, as opposed to Norway.

Yeah, that's a good point. I have noticed myself and many others who have had these high hopes about places and things and end up getting disappointed. But the thing is that I also fear I will be more disappointed if I don't do it. I've enjoyed my time and the people I've met in USA so much that I think there's no better place for me.
    As I see it now I cant see how I would be disappointed if I make it to New York or Seattle. I love big towns, the climate is good and that's the place where I can find both work and do my interests.
    I think in your case, as well as mine, there's no choice, you have to try it and find out for yourself. Otherwise you just end up thinking about it for years, which I did before I finally got a chance to go myself. If you end up disappointed, then well that's that, but if you really want it so much that you think about it for years, I think nothing good can come from staying home and wondering.

In my experience, it will never be what you think it will be. It's always different. Maybe in a good way, maybe not. But the image in your mind is a fantasy that you enjoy, and it's not real. For my sake, Holland turned out to be a good choice, maybe the best choice I could have made when I consider the countries in this region. And I'm adapting still, but in many ways things are "right" here.

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #12
    I've talked a lot about this in the past and I don't want to sound disparaging and give Trondheim/Norway a bad name, cause it's not a bad place. But it's hard to express what's "wrong" with it.

It's "in the wrong place" if you will. Too isolated, to shut down from outside influence, the people are too consumed in their own country and city. And that to me is depressing, because I like to live in a place where it feels like things are happening, and I like feeling in touch with "the world" so to speak.

And Holland IS that kind of place. The diversity here is so much greater, the country is still very Dutch, but you have so much more outside influence if you *want to* be receptive to it. And you really feel that you're *in* Europe when you live here, as opposed to Norway.
    We come from pretty similar conditions. I used to live in Stockholm but today I live in Uppsala. Which is the fifth biggest town in Sweden and probably about as big as Trondheim. But still too small. Especially small in the way that it is isolated, both the people and geographically speaking.
    I think Stockholm pretty much set the border for what town I want to live in. I can not imagine smaller but I wouldn't mind bigger. And just as in your case more south or less isolated.

I think in your case, as well as mine, there's no choice, you have to try it and find out for yourself. Otherwise you just end up thinking about it for years, which I did before I finally got a chance to go myself. If you end up disappointed, then well that's that, but if you really want it so much that you think about it for years, I think nothing good can come from staying home and wondering.

In my experience, it will never be what you think it will be. It's always different. Maybe in a good way, maybe not. But the image in your mind is a fantasy that you enjoy, and it's not real. For my sake, Holland turned out to be a good choice, maybe the best choice I could have made when I consider the countries in this region. And I'm adapting still, but in many ways things are "right" here.
    Holland could be an option for me too. If it's not America then it will be something in central Europe. Suisse and Belgium are most likely right now.
    No matter where I end up it will never be as I expect it to be. But in Seattle or New York I don't think I will be bored. I might not get what I want but I could get something else as opposed to little Uppsala where you have two or three things to choose between.

Edit: Uppsala is really nice when you are a student but I'm sure that when I leave that period in my life there won't be much (or enough) left.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    We come from pretty similar conditions. I used to live in Stockholm but today I live in Uppsala. Which is the fifth biggest town in Sweden and probably about as big as Trondheim. But still too small. Especially small in the way that it is isolated, both the people and geographically speaking.
    I think Stockholm pretty much set the border for what town I want to live in. I can not imagine smaller but I wouldn't mind bigger. And just as in your case more south or less isolated.
    Indeed. I grew up in Oslo and I loved it there. I got used to living in a city. When I was 10 I moved to Trondheim and I didn't like it from the start.

Holland could be an option for me too. If it's not America then it will be something in central Europe. Suisse and Belgium are most likely right now.
    No matter where I end up it will never be as I expect it to be. But in Seattle or New York I don't think I will be bored. I might not get what I want but I could get something else as opposed to little Uppsala where you have two or three things to choose between.

Edit: Uppsala is really nice when you are a student but I'm sure that when I leave that period in my life there won't be much (or enough) left.
    That's the thing about Trondheim too. Since it has the best technical university in the country, lots of engineering students from all over the country come to Trondheim. For 5 years. And then they leave, since there's no industry and few engineering jobs. But I lived there from age 10 to 24 and it was just way too much, it wasn't a digression, it was my whole life.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Thing is though, you could keep wondering what it would be like or you could chase the dream. I say you do it: I did with Italy. And for me it destroyed a lot of illusions (though looking back I'm glad I went and it wasn't bad) but if I hadn't gone, I would have always wondered "What if". I know it sounds poetic but it's reality.

Send a letter to the US embassy in your country, they can help you out.

Max

Jul 15, 2003
    USA tempts me so much more. Canada is too cold and Australia is too spread out.
    :lol: Okay, go for a tan on a Manhattan sidewalk in February; it's the exact same weather there as it is here in Southern Ontario (Toronto, Hamilton, St. Catherines/Niagara). Vancouver, British Columbia is just a little bit north of Seattle, and they both share the exact same climate (rain, rain, drizzle, rain).

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    Right after they scan it for anthrax :p
    :D

That's how it works though: it'll all go via the embassy. And be prepared for a really tough interview with their security personnel. They have questions devised to figure out your true personality etc etc

It's really hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)