Gianluigi Buffon (11 Viewers)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Oh Gigi, don't do this to me. Second half I was worried whenever the ball was passed back to him. Can't recall another moment in his career where I really felt that way.

I think his performances in the more recent matches this calendar year are fairly symptomatic of the team's. We are getting a little careless and losing concentration, needing a kick up the ass to wake up. For a goalkeeper that is disastrous, because every mistake will be highlighted.

The first goal just shouldn't happen. The kick is one mistake, but see how the defense is switched off and fails to react. The second 'goal' was just rank bad handling, and for his technique it's obvious that is down to concentration. When you don't have much to do as a keeper it's even more important to stay alert, but he knows all this.
Two seasons ago when he gave the ball away for Muriel to score?

Buy on AliExpress.com

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
That spill reminded me of that Alvarez pre-season goal. There has been other similar instances too where he's more than content to allow rebounds in dangerous areas which needs to be sorted. Still I rather Gigi sort out his danger priorities than somebody else this season.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
He isn't past it but he also isnt 28 anymore, we still are privileged to have this man in goals. We have had the damn privilege of never seeing these mistakes for so many years that when he shows he is human (like every other damn keeper I have seen) people exaggerate.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
He isn't past it but he also isnt 28 anymore, we still are privileged to have this man in goals. We have had the damn privilege of never seeing these mistakes for so many years that when he shows he is human (like every other damn keeper I have seen) people exaggerate.

Gigi has always mad such mistakes, even when he was younger (like the ones against Atalanta and Chievo that I posted). However, they are getting more common and he's getting less specatacular saves.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The thing is, his shot stopping is still great IMO. His concentration and his rebounds are just dreadful right now. I'm nervous on every shot that he's going to spill it onto an attacker's foot.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Two seasons ago when he gave the ball away for Muriel to score?
Didn't really feel afterwards that he would do something like that again at the time, that was just him trying to be clever and messing up.

Gigi has always mad such mistakes, even when he was younger (like the ones against Atalanta and Chievo that I posted). However, they are getting more common and he's getting less specatacular saves.
You can look at a video of the first 15 years of Buffon's career and I bet you find less than 10 such mistakes. It's that consistency that makes him one of the best keepers of all time.

Aside from his back injury period, the last 3-4 months of domestic action (going back into last season) are probably the worst period of his career in terms of errors. And many of them are the kind of errors you might expect from a younger keeper, which doesn't add up.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
i don't think it was such a huge mistake...pirlo does shit like this in almost every game yet no one is worthy of playing in his position. same with gigi...he misplaced that 20 meters long pass, it happens to a lot of goalies, i know he will bounce back and will have something like 10 games without a single mistake. let's not forget he saved our asses in this season so far. forza gigi

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005
Im shocked at the amount of knee jerking in this thread. Exactly two weeks ago Buffon single handedly held Italy against Bulgaria if memory serves me right and all of a sudden according to the gem that is yacht man or what not is shit??? Son you wouldn't know what shit is if you looked in the mirror. I'm sorry but we have been graced by Buffon for several years now, to the point we tend to forget he is human. That's to say we only see him on the pitch with no regard to the fact these players lead a separate life. Yes he is a professional I get that but he is human at the end of the day and just like us the smallest things in our lives may effect how we act and work. Last night's goal is a real mistake, it's not like he did so on purpose. I think Buffon is a legend and still has a lot to give juve. It's funny the knives are sharpened for buffon where as marchisio a player who goes AWOL for large portions of the season is given a pass by some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)