General TV (23 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Because people feel the need to justify pirating. :D
Apparently. I mean, even if you think there's a better product out there, Netflix is pretty damn good. There is nothing that comes even close to offering the same amount of quality tv shows for that low of a price. And even if there would be, the price is still pretty damn low. There are far far worse things in this world than Netflix.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Why the Netflix hate, if I may ask? IMHO they offer a very solid product for a small price, so I fail to see what's wrong with it.
because here in canada we pay the same price as us, but get only 13% of the shows they get. it's so bad that many people install program that disguise their ip as american so they can get acesses to the american netflix.

it's also why competitior models like crave tv and shomi are entering the business.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
because here in canada we pay the same price as us, but get only 13% of the shows they get. it's so bad that many people install program that disguise their ip as american so they can get acesses to the american netflix.

it's also why competitior models like crave tv and shomi are entering the business.

I understand that the library is not big enough. It isn't in Belgium either. But compared to cable tv it offers a lot of quality for a very low price.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Using proxy ip is easy on computer or console, only time I'm restricted to Swedish Netflix (which isn't that bad in content) is when I watch Netflix directly through TV.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Why the Netflix hate, if I may ask? IMHO they offer a very solid product for a small price, so I fail to see what's wrong with it.
Because their streaming selection blows besides a subset of TV shows and only bargain bin movies when you're looking for more obscure stuff. The whole point of online inventory is for the long tail, and they fail to deliver on that.

For example, two of the best TV shows I've seen last year were Utopia (UK) and Gomorra (Italy). They have neither and no plans to carry them anytime soon. Though if you are a Netflix UK subscriber, you can get Season 1 of Utopia and that's it. Fuck you if you live in the US: you're screwed for getting access to either season.

So it's that and that they position themselves as liberating people from the old media when it's just "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

So I hope they burn in hell. And they surely will be replaced only by the next pretender to rise and proclaim that they're better and different and will redeem us from previous media company abuses. :andyandbarcelona: Lather, rinse, repeat.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It is. But Netflix acts like it's not their problem, when in fact it completely degrades the service as something I can't use very often and thus even at it's reduced price it's not worth it.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Because their streaming selection blows besides a subset of TV shows and only bargain bin movies when you're looking for more obscure stuff. The whole point of online inventory is for the long tail, and they fail to deliver on that.

For example, two of the best TV shows I've seen last year were Utopia (UK) and Gomorra (Italy). They have neither and no plans to carry them anytime soon. Though if you are a Netflix UK subscriber, you can get Season 1 of Utopia and that's it. Fuck you if you live in the US: you're screwed for getting access to either season.

So it's that and that they position themselves as liberating people from the old media when it's just "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

So I hope they burn in hell. And they surely will be replaced only by the next pretender to rise and proclaim that they're better and different and will redeem us from previous media company abuses. :andyandbarcelona: Lather, rinse, repeat.
Not really. You are complaining because they don't have everything.

I've never heard of either Gomorra or Utopia and I'm sure neither have most people. They're not even American so it makes sense Netflix wouldn't carry them.

This is a service at 7 bucks a month which not only provides countless movies and tv shows but also original content like House of Cards which alone makes it worth the subscription.

TrezJuve

May 26, 2010

Use Hola and stop whining.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

It provides more than classic tv stations for a fraction of the price. You want everything for less than 8 dollars? How is that market going to work?

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012

I've never heard of either Gomorra or Utopia and I'm sure neither have most people. They're not even American so it makes sense Netflix wouldn't carry them.

This is a service at 7 bucks a month which not only provides countless movies and tv shows but also original content like House of Cards which alone makes it worth the subscription.
It provides more than classic tv stations for a fraction of the price. You want everything for less than 8 dollars? How is that market going to work?
:tup:

It's insane how people are complaining about the lack of content when you consider the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Use Hola and stop whining.
Yep. or something like Unblock-US if you're using your TV. Using a proxy to access Netflix' other content is not illegal (at least in Denmark).

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Then what's the point of the long tail of the Internet? Amazon.com might as well carry only CDs of Cheryl Crow and the Backstreet Boys and just call it a day.

The countless movies and TV shows are countlessly things I find not worth watching. Of all the times I would come up with some TV show or movie I wanted to watch as a Netflix subscriber, 90% of the time they just didn't have it.

It's a cute toy, but worthless for my needs. It works great if you treat your entertainment like fast food filler to satiate your general entertainment anti-boredom needs, but not if you have something specific in mind.

I'd be willing to pay more to get what I want. They don't offer what I want. So you get what you pay for ... which isn't much, and leaves me looking elsewhere to get what I want. Thus making the service pretty much useless to me.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I started watching 'The West Wing'

So far I can see why some hail it as the best series of all time.

I compare it to HOC where it's far more realistic but also far more over-the-top and very dark compared to the network tv based West Wing.

But I enjoy the contrast in both series

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Then what's the point of the long tail of the Internet? Amazon.com might as well carry only CDs of Cheryl Crow and the Backstreet Boys and just call it a day.

The countless movies and TV shows are countlessly things I find not worth watching. Of all the times I would come up with some TV show or movie I wanted to watch as a Netflix subscriber, 90% of the time they just didn't have it.

It's a cute toy, but worthless for my needs. It works great if you treat your entertainment like fast food filler to satiate your general entertainment anti-boredom needs, but not if you have something specific in mind.

I'd be willing to pay more to get what I want. They don't offer what I want. So you get what you pay for ... which isn't much, and leaves me looking elsewhere to get what I want. Thus making the service pretty much useless to me.
Is your San Fran syndrome acting up again, swag?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 21)