General TV (82 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Did you read the part where I mentioned I'd be willing to pay more money?

As far as a legal product that comes close to Netflix, I honestly don't care. A dysfunctional product that cannot sufficiently do the basics more than 10% of the time is still a failed product. Something that mostly offers fillers and bargain bin stuff is like the $6 Shakey's all-you-can-eat pizza bar: if I'm not interested in stuffing myself with cardboard, it's a ripoff at any price.
House of Cards is just good television. Maybe netflix doesn't have your favorite 30's movies. But that's because it wants to provide contemporary tv shows.

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Did you read the part where I mentioned I'd be willing to pay more money?

As far as a legal product that comes close to Netflix, I honestly don't care. A dysfunctional product that cannot sufficiently do the basics more than 10% of the time is still a failed product. Something that mostly offers fillers and bargain bin stuff is like the $6 Shakey's all-you-can-eat pizza bar: if I'm not interested in stuffing myself with cardboard, it's a ripoff at any price.
:agree: i used to have netflix and i felt the same way, whats the use of it if you have to go to other places online to get your tv fix, it's like going to a barren grocery store then having to hit 3-4 stores afterwards to round up your shopping list,i also could never stand their maintenance which took the site down for a few hours every other month. Overall a crappy product.

Völler

Always spot on
May 6, 2012
Massive service like Spotify (and iTunes) makes sense for music industry since CD sales are way down since going record store to buy music became archaic business model, music industry has had to offer its products more directly streamlined in this manner to compete vs piracy.

But would be hard pressed for TV and movie companies s to justify selling their products in such mass scale kinda service, since they are far from desperate, ppl still stay glued to their tvs and go to cinema in droves, make a killing with ads etc. Until it changes, we will only get extra services like Netflix /HBO go and so on that are limited in content.
I don't see why the movie industry wouldn't need to rethink their model. DVD and Blu-ray sales are non-existing because of piracy - just like it is the case with CD's. But I agree, you can't make a 1:1 comparison between the movie and music industry. The difference in production costs between making a movie and an album are huge, and releasing a movie with a somehow decent-sized budget directly online is just never going to be a good business. Just look at The Interview which, despite all the publicity in the world, is probably not going to break even. And while the musicians can somehow manage with the incredibly low income they get from Spotify since they can make money touring (a unique product), the movie industries is fucked in that regard. The movie industry basically only have the exclusive cinema window to make money, but with the home theater removing many of the pros of going to the cinema and screeners getting leaked, it's getting increasingly difficult for the movie industry to make money that way. While they aren't desperate now, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they do get desperate.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Movies are being pirated like there's no tomorrow. Also, the younger generations are avoiding cable TV for its stupidly high price and their ear blasting ads. I don't want someone telling me "hey, your t-shirt can be this white". They seriously think we're retarded.

Having said that, Netflix is a good product if it fits your needs (i.e. if you're not an old fart).

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Netflix isn't about old farts vs. young kids. It's about bargain bin versus featured releases or long-tail catalog. What's mad is that people don't see that; that people are reaching for "hipster" or "old fart" labels to defend it. You simply cannot have a legitimate video service that isn't bargain bin quality where 80 of Spike Lee's 86 essential movies are unavailable.

Netflix is positioned as a downmarket product where their licensing of source product is cheap and easy. It's a bargain brand with product quality to match. It's oriented for people who choose their entertainment like people choose their lunch at the dorm cafeteria.

Perhaps the studios are reluctant to give in, but they will have to at some point. I think there's reasonable economics in making a subscription service with a price point that's equivalent to one major new release rental/pay-per-view per week. Call it $25 a month. They might lose some money on those who consume far more than the average, but they'd make an extra profit on the many who will have it more for the convenience.

And they've been proclaiming the death of movie theaters for eons. The difference is there will always be teenagers who want to get out of the house and away from their families.

Alex-444

Sep 5, 2005
BT renews Serie A deal
By Football Italia staff

Serie A will be on UK television until at least 2018, as BT Sport announces it has renewed its broadcast deal.

The network has renewed its deal to show up to 380 live Serie A games per season until the end of the 2017-18 season.

“Serie A attracts some of the best players in the world and is a fantastic, competitive league featuring some of the legendary teams of European folklore, such as Juventus, AC Milan, Inter and Roma.” Simon Green, head of BT Sport, said.

The channel will also have the exclusive rights to the Champions League and Europa League from next season.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Serie A must be going for cheap these days, and you can see why.

But then demand is up. The Spanish-language broadcasters in the U.S. just started picking up the Portuguese Liga this season, and it's not because the quality there has dropped. :weee:

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
Serie A must be going for cheap these days, and you can see why.

But then demand is up. The Spanish-language broadcasters in the U.S. just started picking up the Portuguese Liga this season, and it's not because the quality there has dropped. :weee:
:pado:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Netflix has the first nine seasons of "It's always sunny in Philadelphia', so that is good enough for me.

I also happen to like the documentaries and the fact that they have a decent amount of silent films

- - - Updated - - -

A chunk of the movie studios removed their films from Netflix due to them having their own services, or signing up with other streaming sites.

Sony Pictures for example has their films on the Playstation Network for the most part.

Thus, the need to have their own original programming, so that they could make a profit and keep their subscription rates up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 81)