General TV (95 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Is your San Fran syndrome acting up again, swag?
Nah, I'm not just as soft a consumer as some of you are. :D

Seriously. You can subscribe to any music service for a few bucks from Rhapsody to Spotify to Tidal to Deezer and get access to just about anything in a ridiculously deep catalog besides maybe the occasional blockbuster Taylor Swift album. But why is it so unfathomable to expect great classic movies like: Bad Lieutenant, Rashomon, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Bonnie and Clyde, The Last Tango in Paris, Some Like It Hot, Raising Arizona, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, On the Waterfront, La Dolce Vita, City of God, The Godfather (part 1 or 2), The 400 Blows, Patton, Mad Max or The Road Warrior, The Battle of Algiers, Breathless, West Side Story, Stranger than Paradise, The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Boyz n the Hood, Mean Streets, Raging Bull, Apocalypto, Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, District 9, In the Heat of the Night, M*A*S*H, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dog Day Afternoon, Singin' in the Rain, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Empire of the Sun, Cool Hand Luke, The Wizard of Oz, or Zelig.

???

All classics. All part of the modern film canon. And yet none of the above are available on Netflix. Isn't that more than just a little broken?

You should stop being so soft and demand better from the people taking your money. Just sayin'... that emperor ain't even got underwear on.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Like hipsters watch Wizard of Oz.

Btw, that list is excerpted from Spike Lee's list of 86 essential movies. Of the 86 -- and these aren't Portuguese art films here but rather many essential Oscar winners -- only 6 were carried by Netflix.

Which is even less than my 10% success rate with Netflix.

How is that not broken? How is Casablanca considered non-essential to any movie streaming site??

If you're bored and want to click on anything they shove in front of you, hey, good on you. But I don't watch movies to fill the time with bargain bin leftovers.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
That is the most hipster post I've ever seen on this forum. That's like if Post Ironics posts had a baby with ZoSo's vinyls.
It's not really that hipster. And nothing beats PI.

- - - Updated - - -

Swag has his pet peeves he can be very unreasonably naggy about, Netflix, GOT (anything fantasy really lol), biased for anything Portuguese and so on hehe.
Eaxactly :D

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
Jan 16, 2013

Seriously. You can subscribe to any music service for a few bucks from Rhapsody to Spotify to Tidal to Deezer and get access to just about anything in a ridiculously deep catalog besides maybe the occasional blockbuster Taylor Swift album. But why is it so unfathomable to expect great classic movies like: Bad Lieutenant, Rashomon, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Bonnie and Clyde, The Last Tango in Paris, Some Like It Hot, Raising Arizona, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, On the Waterfront, La Dolce Vita, City of God, The Godfather (part 1 or 2), The 400 Blows, Patton, Mad Max or The Road Warrior, The Battle of Algiers, Breathless, West Side Story, Stranger than Paradise, The Maltese Falcon, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Boyz n the Hood, Mean Streets, Raging Bull, Apocalypto, Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, District 9, In the Heat of the Night, M*A*S*H, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dog Day Afternoon, Singin' in the Rain, Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Empire of the Sun, Cool Hand Luke, The Wizard of Oz, or Zelig.

???

All classics. All part of the modern film canon. And yet none of the above are available on Netflix. Isn't that more than just a little broken?

You should stop being so soft and demand better from the people taking your money. Just sayin'... that emperor ain't even got underwear on.
Quite a few of those are available. The ones i remember: Raging Bull, Dr. Strangelove, Mad Max, Dog Day Afternoon, M.A.S.H...

- - - Updated - - -

And some classics you haven't mentioned that are also available: Das Boot, Once Upon a Time In The West, Metropolis, Nosferatu, The Longest Day, Patton, Saturday Night Fever, Faust, Night of The Living Dead, a shitload of John Wayne's movies and Bruce Lee's, King Kong, Apocalypse Now, Pulp Fiction, Rosemary's Baby, Beckett, House on the Haunted Hill, The Greatest Show On Earth, The Bicycle Thief, at least 3 of Tarkosky movies, Chinatown and a shitload more great classics.

So it's really relative. You can't say they lack great movies for the price you pay.

I personally have been a subscriber for many years mostly because of older TV series that i missed the first time around and i think it's absolutely worth what i pay.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

???

Yeah. So basically you want everything for 8 dollars.

Let me ask you this though: is there a legal product internationally available that comes even close to Netflix?

- - - Updated - - -

???

Let me ask you this though: is there a legal product internationally available that comes even close to Netflix?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003

Did you read the part where I mentioned I'd be willing to pay more money?

As far as a legal product that comes close to Netflix, I honestly don't care. A dysfunctional product that cannot sufficiently do the basics more than 10% of the time is still a failed product. Something that mostly offers fillers and bargain bin stuff is like the $6 Shakey's all-you-can-eat pizza bar: if I'm not interested in stuffing myself with cardboard, it's a ripoff at any price.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What do you think a fair price for a movie equivalent of Spotify would be?
I don't think $40/mo is unreasonable if the catalog and streaming quality are good. You could easily justify that to today's wannabe cable-cutters -- save for the live TV and delayed TV series aspects.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
we get it, u dont like netflix. we dont need an essay from you on your favorite obscure movies u showoff. all u had to say was that it didnt have content u wanted and left it at that, but noooooooo u just had to write 2 essays.

go back to buying dvds homie

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
we get it, u dont like netflix. we dont need an essay from you on your favorite obscure movies u showoff. all u had to say was that it didnt have content u wanted and left it at that, but noooooooo u just had to write 2 essays.

go back to buying dvds homie
Next time don't ask me questions like this if you don't want my answers: :stuckup:

The plugin is installed with the server, so it can run on a laptop
Why the Netflix hate, if I may ask? IMHO they offer a very solid product for a small price, so I fail to see what's wrong with it.
Not sure why the balance of the universe is under threat because I'm not in love as a fanboy of some video service, but whatevah...

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
What do you think a fair price for a movie equivalent of Spotify would be?
Massive service like Spotify (and iTunes) makes sense for music industry since CD sales are way down since going record store to buy music became archaic business model, music industry has had to offer its products more directly streamlined in this manner to compete vs piracy.

But would be hard pressed for TV and movie companies s to justify selling their products in such mass scale kinda service, since they are far from desperate, ppl still stay glued to their tvs and go to cinema in droves, make a killing with ads etc. Until it changes, we will only get extra services like Netflix /HBO go and so on that are limited in content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 95)