General TV (108 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Netflix said the fictional character is supposed to be north african but they casted an african american. In Norway, during Vikings era.
The fictional character is a viking father and an African mother he met on his travels.

The real life women isn't African American, she is an obscure swedish/Danish pop jazz singer (born an raised in sweden, moved to denmark). Similarly bi racial as her character, but the reverse, her mother Swedish, her father African (American? Not sure, she isn't really famous here).

The character insertion is total BS ofcourse, attention grab move. Possibility of intermingling tho small could been possible with well traveled raiders, but her taken over her father's Jarl role and it being accepted its total over the top fantasy lol (born and raised there could happened, trade hubs had people from unexpected places, but female and interracial being accepted as leader lol).

But as it been pointed out before, besides this casting (which btw if you watch the series, altho jarring at first, actually doesn't ruin it because so far its well acted and subtly used in relation to the leading characters) this franchise is so insanely liberal with the faux history part of the story it might as well be fantasy, the time lines (skipping century with some characters) and Liberal use of the characters is insanely flexible or made up (It still annoys me to see Leif Eriksson in raid/invasion party for England lol more then this minor Jarl character). Not to mention the magical/supernatural narratives.

But they nail most of the cultural or ritual aspects, and warrior customs (tho take liberties there too ofcourse), so there's plenty to appreciate in historical fiction nature.

But I would appreciated it more if this time period was made by HBO or something. Weirdly enough the history channel is the production that's least likely to have authentic historical narrative (i know this is offshoot is taken over by netflix now, but original series wasn't)

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Got dat black female lead quota filled :tuttosport:

In all seriousness tho, looks pretty good. Just hope they don't mess this one up with woke BS crap. Was hoping to see some Vader but that can wait for the longer trailer.
Oh and also John Williams is a legend.
Music is amazing. I have a feeling Vader will appear in the last scene of the last episode lol

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
That looks amazing, Ewan McGregor and Joel Edgerton in a star wars TV series that looks like it has 5 times the budget of the Mandalorian. Looked more a movie then a tv show.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002

I just came to this thread to post this!

Perfect mix, Baltimore, the wire people, producers and actors, John fucking Berenthal with another role he was tailor made for, and HBO. Cant fail.

Since you stole that thunder from me, heres another hbo gem by Michael Mann coming soon:

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished E03, the story's good, reminds me of the True Detective S01. of course it's not remotely as good as True Detective S01, which was a 10/10 for me, but its still promising.
Just watched first episode of reacher, not bad tbh

Good thing about the this Reacher series is they follow the books they are based on so damn close. Really captured its essence.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
@JuveJay
check out Landscapers
David Thewlis, Olivia Colman and Kate O'Flynn are brillant in it.
Why did I mention you? After an in-depth tuzzer taste analysis I have identified you as the right guy for a good old absurd britbong miniseries

- - - Updated - - -

Is this where we all expect The Wire 2.0 but get terribly disappointed?

Looks like
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 108)