General TV (55 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I will avoid this discussion but for me Arabs are people whose native language is Arabic which makes all Lebanese Arabs no matter their religion.

Even though our Arabic is somehow fucked up compared to others

Yeah defenitely, the language is the code bearer to speak, the common culture bringer, especially when it has been a millenias of it, since for example Lebanon used to be strictly Phoenician group. And generally most lebanese I meet see themselves as strictly arabs, but I ran into the occasional one that will deny it, mainly to differentiate himself from another arab tribe, who btw themselves arent most likely pure ethnic arab tribe either :D Just mainly linguistically like him.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but linguastics is not our concern here bro, and neither is ethnicity.

Then what the fuck are you talking about? :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
To put it simply. They are all Semitic people, but like Indo-Europeans (that includes iran and parts of india too) that describe most of Europe, its a language based cathegorization. Language tree so to speak. For semitic people, they can all in general find their ancestral roots back to a root thats similar to present day yemeni jews in general, as a language, and in parts ethnically too (but mainly as language, because semitic languages are afro-asiatic, so they include Ethopian amharic, Tigrinya etc). But mainly as a language group, which is a big part of what forms a culture and a people, even if the ethnic mix of it can be bit varied due to rich histories of conquest and intermingling tribes.

But ethnically the region is quite different, so it depends what part of the middle east or south central asia you referring to. Just look at the mix of country like Lebanon, you will get a headache trying to deduce ethnic makeup of it historically. And if you talk to the wrong Lebanese, he will slap you if you tell him he is descended from arab tribes :D

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry but we would be fucked if we go by absolete lazy US definitions :D Same US definitions that cant differentiate between latin americans and Europeans like Spanish people? :D Also not to long ago, they didnt even consider Italians as white people lol.

Caucasians allways referred to strictly white Europeans, or white european descended for the New worlders. You telling me now peeps Kurds, Lebanese, Palestinians are caucasians? :D Because they have similar skin tone? If so thats laughable, and also ,not something they experience in real life as amongst the white priviliged lol.

It's an umbrella term for races that had more in common, if it became obsolete because it hurts feelings so be it. Also i don't understand what white europeans means? Are you not identitying Italians, french, spanish, greeks... As white? Funny you mention kurds have you seen what yazidis look like.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I KNOW yazidiz :D I grown up with tons of Kurds here in Sweden.

Its not about hurting feelings, but its not a distinctive term wether ethnically, racially or linguistically (has no meaning for all 3), so its broad and too general term, confusing, as this discussion shows, and how wild Elvin was using it. But the core descriptive limitation for it has ALLWAYS been to describe white europeans. What it is litterally used for, not a certain look, but general white population of Europe, despite how wildly they differ (again, why the term is bit moot).

Trying to include asians and middle easterners to this is just a hoot, and will confuse it even further.

Anyways, I just realized we are in the tv general thread and not what you doing now thread :D I'll stop, and will look into Severance that PI mentionned.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
I KNOW yazidiz :D I grown up with tons of Kurds here in Sweden.

Its not about hurting feelings, but its not a distinctive term wether ethnically, racially or linguistically (has no meaning for all 3), so its broad and too general term, confusing, as this discussion shows, and how wild Elvin was using it. But the core descriptive limitation for it has ALLWAYS been to describe white europeans. What it is litterally used for, not a certain look, but general white population of Europe, despite how wildly they differ (again, why the term is bit moot).

Trying to include asians and middle easterners to this is just a hoot, and will confuse it even further.

I get what you mean and agree to a degree, you would be silly to call a Saddam looking iraqi white in sweden. But in the context of white being an umbrella term, i believe it is adequate, since we both agree it refers to a huge spectrum, and in the levant(middle east is too broad) it is greatly diplayed.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Yeah defenitely, the language is the code bearer to speak, the common culture bringer, especially when it has been a millenias of it, since for example Lebanon used to be strictly Phoenician group. And generally most lebanese I meet see themselves as strictly arabs, but I ran into the occasional one that will deny it, mainly to differentiate himself from another arab tribe, who btw themselves arent most likely pure ethnic arab tribe either :D Just mainly linguistically like him.

- - - Updated - - -

Then what the fuck are you talking about? :D
RAAACE!

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Tried pilot of Severance, @Post Ironic, damn that was creepy well crafted subtle dystopic world (that dinner party convo).

Narrative style/theme gave vibes or hints of WestWorld, Lost (dharma initiative orientation videos), and The Left overs.

I had go go check who created this just to be sure if its Damon Lindelof or not lol. But its Ben Stiller.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Seen the first two episodes and I like it a lot, especially how it plays with the morality of what is going on.

Super fucked up that the work persona has no social/ recreational life. No enjoyment, is basically a slave

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Tried pilot of Severance, @Post Ironic, damn that was creepy well crafted subtle dystopic world (that dinner party convo).

Narrative style/theme gave vibes or hints of WestWorld, Lost (dharma initiative orientation videos), and The Left overs.

I had go go check who created this just to be sure if its Damon Lindelof or not lol. But its Ben Stiller.
Just watched first episode/pilot too. You put it exactly right: “creepy well crafted subtle dystopic world.” I loved it. Great cast too.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

You got me intrigued at Leftovers

JuveE46

Dec 6, 2015
Vikings Valhalla is out on Netflix. Set about 100 years from original viking series, you hear some familiar names from the original.. So far at ep 3 it's better than expected.

One of the few "authentic" series left before they cast a Jamaican as Bjorn Ironside.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 52)