General Gaming Thread (All Platforms) (23 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
There are a billion different DLCs and expansion packs, some of which are pretty much vital so that's a huge pain in the ass though. That's just how Paradox operates. Looks like there's a sale on humblebundle.com right now, if you're really interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of vital DLC :D

You can take a €7 per month subscription and have the DLC’s nowadays man. I have it aswel. Really great progress compared to how things used to be

Not sure if it are literally all the DLC’s

- - - Updated - - -

Weekends makes all things work out.
Personally I rather have us doing a challenge. I can’t commit to a certain time

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
You can take a €7 per month subscription and have the DLC’s nowadays man. I have it aswel. Really great progress compared to how things used to be

- - - Updated - - -

Challenge would be dope.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011

- - - Updated - - -

It is all the DLCs if I remember correctly, which is great if you just started playing. Just look out for deals every now and then. 2 years ago they had this, where you could buy the game and ALL the DLCs they released at the time for only like $25 or something like that.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/europa-universalis-iv-complete\

https://www.wingamestore.com/ also has some good deals as well pretty often.

- - - Updated - - -

Madonnnn humble bundle has Hearts of Iron IV and Stellaris for like 70% off right now, I must stay strong.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
This looks like it will be fun.

We had a days long convo in middle school that discussed this exact scenario, covered every detail to a minutiae.

It's good to know our childhood wasn't wasted. I'm legit gonna send this games clip to one of those childhood friends lol

My hunch is this games development was a normal rts game at first. Until one late night after work drinks went on too long and the pothead convo in the corner spiralled into discussing the wildest ideas as the most normal feasible thing possible.

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003

We had a days long convo in middle school that discussed this exact scenario, covered every detail to a minutiae.

It's good to know our childhood wasn't wasted. I'm legit gonna send this games clip to one of those childhood friends lol

My hunch is this games development was a normal rts game at first. Until one late night after work drinks went on too long and the pothead convo in the corner spiralled into discussing the wildest ideas as the most normal feasible thing possible.
Ive had this thought many times also. I think alot of people have judging by the feed back it's been getting.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
It's a totally different game. Difficulty depends on your difficult setting (obviously) and which nation you choose to play, France or the Ottomans will be a lot easier than Saluzzo for example. There's a pretty steep learning curve, you'll still be learning things after literal thousands of hours of playing, but it's not too bad. You could even play in normal mode, so you won't get achievements but you can use console commands to help you learn.
Totally different games and insanely more complex. However, like @AFL_ITALIA said you can mitigate some of the difficulty by picking nations who are powerful at the start of the game (1444). The learning curve IS steep but it is quick to get into the game. Playing in a mp session or on a discord call with a friend for 1-2 hours just to get everything explained is how I've taught the game to 4-6 people. Then you go and play by yourself. Much like Dwarf Fortress, embrace that losing is fun. Yes, as you get better you will "paint the map" with your nation color but early on you will have pitfalls due to not always thinking of specific mechanics or not keeping up with specifics areas of the game.

And as you play, a very decent AI is playing 200+ other nations in your game. And they will ruthlessly pounce on any big mistake you make. And thats part of the fun.

I would recommend you get on a shared-screen game with somebody and they walk you through the most imposing aspect of the game: the UI. When you first fire up EU4, the biggest fear/turnoff is how much stuff is going on. So many tabs, so many buttons to click, so much information. And you'll learn what is important, what isn't.

If you ever want to hop on a discord, I'd be happy to sit down and share my screen and walk you through at least the starting screen of a game and what everything means and how a typical game will start out. From there, you learning and mastering a nation or game mechanic is all part of the adventure.

- - - Updated - - -

How @Tak! to answer your question, if Civilization is difficult for you and too much I would imagine EU4 would definitely be more so.
Thank you both for such well put answers! I think I will wait and see if I ever find the time to digest the game. It sounds like fun but need me to have more time. Thank you so much for offering the help @AFL_ITALIA ! I may pick you up on that offer in the future. :)

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
In a cool little throwback to one of my favourite games growing up it looks like Age or Mythology is getting a release soon.

Last edited:

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
Age of Mythology Retold looks awesome. They've done great work on the Age of Empire remasters and even produce new content for them so I hope they give the same treatment on Age of Mythology Retold.

Springyouth

Sep 7, 2023
was watching the last of us, and I'm curious if I should play the games? I've never played any of them
First one is showing its age when it comes to gameplay eg. you feel you're entering an arena that will trigger a "battle".
Still in terms of atmosphere and overall story it's one of the better games I ever played.
It still holds up after all these years and has these moments that will stay with you.

The second one is a story that vomits all over the first one and you find yourself in shoes of a roided transsexual that (in one of the cutscenes) is getting railed against a desk by a dude that looks suspiciously like the game director.
Which has to be the most bizarre self-insert in the history of storytelling.

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
I just got Baldur's Gate 3, will give it a go this weekend. Any of you guys checked jt out ?
Very good, presentation is top top notch for the like the first 80% of the game. The last area of the game and the final 20% feels so rushed, so thrown together it kind of ruined the experience for me in its totality. But the first 20-30 to even 40 or 50 hours of the game (depending on how much you wander and do side stuff) is probably some of the best presented, best designed since Witcher 3.

I still rank it several ranks below Witcher 3 but its a top 50 game all-time for sure.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Very good, presentation is top top notch for the like the first 80% of the game. The last area of the game and the final 20% feels so rushed, so thrown together it kind of ruined the experience for me in its totality. But the first 20-30 to even 40 or 50 hours of the game (depending on how much you wander and do side stuff) is probably some of the best presented, best designed since Witcher 3.

I still rank it several ranks below Witcher 3 but its a top 50 game all-time for sure.
Witcher has a great world but the combat is pretty shit. DS, Bloodborne, Sekiro and other games have set a different standard there.

BG is a great game. Character development & the story are great. Whoever likes RPGs and DND shouldn't skip it surely, it's one of the best releases. What they did with a small budget is insane compared to multi billion dollar companies that always end up producing shit games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)