General Gaming Thread (All Platforms) (20 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Was the GOAT series for edgy teenagers, but as a grown up this game does nothing for me anymore.
That there were a million things to do was always a highlight, but was it worth even doing any of them? I think it's all down to the story for me.

GTA I got bored of quickly, meanwhile RDR2 I couldn't get enough of. Similar gameplay for both, but the strength of the story and characters is phenomenal. The main crew in GTA I found boring and highly unrelatable, and the humor to be mostly a big miss. Trevor is the one everyone always talked about, the strong point, I couldn't wait for his parts to be over with while playing. Meanwhile:

What a masterpiece of a scene after playing to that point of the game. I'll still think about parts of RDR sometimes, but found GTA to be highly forgettable.

Jun 16, 2020
Just a bit here and there I suppose. @Knowah

1000004674.png
I reinstalled after 5 years and started with Ethiopia, I almost forgot how difficult this game is. Almost went bankrupt after seizing some provinces around me, survived a war with surrounding nations, had to fast forward for decades due to the high interest I had to pay. The moment I got out of debt the Mamluks declared war: game over. That were a rough few hours. I think that I’ll restart with Venice

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I reinstalled after 5 years and started with Ethiopia, I almost forgot how difficult this game is. Almost went bankrupt after seizing some provinces around me, survived a war with surrounding nations, had to fast forward for decades due to the high interest I had to pay. The moment I got out of debt the Mamluks declared war: game over. That were a rough few hours. I think that I’ll restart with Venice
Ethiopia were kinda hard for me but I'm not the best player. They have some sort of negative government affect where autonomy slowly increases in each province until you're able to take some sort of mission from the tree, that's probably what killed off your economy despite the gold mines tbh. Mamluks are hard, but if you get passed them then Ottomans are harder.

Venice is super easy by comparison. Vassalize Byzantium and win the first war against the Ottomans and you'll probably be close to untouchable afterwards.

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
Question; I enjoy civilization, it's fun procrastination that doesn't require much of my brain's activity. I play on standard difficulty and I am as bad at the game as a week into it, so I am not developing and that's probably because I want it easy-going. I tried the remake of Age of empires because I remember having a lot of fun with it as a kid. But it was way harder than I remembered it, so I uninstalled it.
So the question is, I have never tried EU4. Should I, or is it too difficult?

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Question; I enjoy civilization, it's fun procrastination that doesn't require much of my brain's activity. I play on standard difficulty and I am as bad at the game as a week into it, so I am not developing and that's probably because I want it easy-going. I tried the remake of Age of empires because I remember having a lot of fun with it as a kid. But it was way harder than I remembered it, so I uninstalled it.
It's a totally different game. Difficulty depends on your difficult setting (obviously) and which nation you choose to play, France or the Ottomans will be a lot easier than Saluzzo for example. There's a pretty steep learning curve, you'll still be learning things after literal thousands of hours of playing, but it's not too bad. You could even play in normal mode, so you won't get achievements but you can use console commands to help you learn.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Totally different games and insanely more complex. However, like @AFL_ITALIA said you can mitigate some of the difficulty by picking nations who are powerful at the start of the game (1444). The learning curve IS steep but it is quick to get into the game. Playing in a mp session or on a discord call with a friend for 1-2 hours just to get everything explained is how I've taught the game to 4-6 people. Then you go and play by yourself. Much like Dwarf Fortress, embrace that losing is fun. Yes, as you get better you will "paint the map" with your nation color but early on you will have pitfalls due to not always thinking of specific mechanics or not keeping up with specifics areas of the game.

And as you play, a very decent AI is playing 200+ other nations in your game. And they will ruthlessly pounce on any big mistake you make. And thats part of the fun.

I would recommend you get on a shared-screen game with somebody and they walk you through the most imposing aspect of the game: the UI. When you first fire up EU4, the biggest fear/turnoff is how much stuff is going on. So many tabs, so many buttons to click, so much information. And you'll learn what is important, what isn't.

If you ever want to hop on a discord, I'd be happy to sit down and share my screen and walk you through at least the starting screen of a game and what everything means and how a typical game will start out. From there, you learning and mastering a nation or game mechanic is all part of the adventure.

- - - Updated - - -

How @Tak! to answer your question, if Civilization is difficult for you and too much I would imagine EU4 would definitely be more so.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
There are a billion different DLCs and expansion packs, some of which are pretty much vital so that's a huge pain in the ass though. That's just how Paradox operates. Looks like there's a sale on humblebundle.com right now, if you're really interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of vital DLC :D

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
There are a billion different DLCs and expansion packs, some of which are pretty much vital so that's a huge pain in the ass though. That's just how Paradox operates. Looks like there's a sale on humblebundle.com right now, if you're really interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of vital DLC :D

On one hand, I hate their DLC policy because yes as the game extends longer and longer, the more DLC becomes VITAL and necessary for the best experience.

However, they also support their games for a long time due to this and I think there is value to that. Also, I love that when you play MP, only the host needs DLC and everybody else gets that DLC from the host for that game session. It allows me to play with friends and have all the DLC (on Steam and MS store haha) and everybody else have it for their experience which is mostly MP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)