Euro 2020 - General Talk Thread (16 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
I'm really curious what this statement is based on?

I don't think we're a top quality side by any means but I think the Dutch squad sure is better than the Danish one. We had 9 points in our group, with 7 goals scored and only 2 conceded. Denmark lost against f'in Finland and Belgium and was 20-30 minutes away from not even qualifying to the next round. I really can't fear a front three of Braithwaite, Poulsen and Damsgaard against young goat MDL or one of the finest defenders in Italian football: De Vrij.
I agree that the Dutch are a stronger side, but it’s pretty disingenuous to bring up the Danish defeat against Finland given the circumstances.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Bezzy!!!! :heart:

I agree that the Dutch are a stronger side, but it’s pretty disingenuous to bring up the Danish defeat against Finland given the circumstances.
The problem with the Dutch this year is the same every year. They will be strong. They will do well. They will pick apart teams that make mistakes and sometimes flatter with the 3-0 demolition of an opponent.

And then they hit a wall ... invariably against a team with a semi-organized defense that shuts them down and allows them to enable their own suicide through a leaky backline.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That's true. But also what happened to Eriksen has become the best thing to happen to Denmark in a sporting sense. I don't mean that in a cruel way or to question his skills, as he is probably Denmark's best player, but it has created a togetherness and attitude that simply can't be replicated or manufactured.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
That's true. But also what happened to Eriksen has become the best thing to happen to Denmark in a sporting sense. I don't mean that in a cruel way or to question his skills, as he is probably Denmark's best player, but it has created a togetherness and attitude that simply can't be replicated or manufactured.
I wondered about that...much like Italy needed calciopoli to get their crap together in 2006.

But the first day, including the late return to the pitch, was a disaster all around. After a little recovery, they've improved. But I can't bank on anything of that being true until we're in the thick of the elimination rounds. In other words: too early to tell yet.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Wait I'm confused.

Holland are a big team?
They have a great backline but a shit coach. I checked and the only teams you've beaten by 4 goals or more since 2020 were Iceland and Belarus. You're telling me Holland is in the same caliber?
By the way acting aloof kind of proves my point, not that it needs any proof.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
They have a great backline but a shit coach. I checked and the only teams you've beaten by 4 goals or more since 2020 were Iceland and Belarus. You're telling me Holland is in the same caliber?
Benelux banter, best thing just to stay out

if a dutch person says the sky is blue then a belgian person shows up to clarify that the sky is infact orange
and vice versa

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Yes, I do think Holland is in the same category as Iceland.

Btw, these are the games from 2019 as well:

1624630193272.png

I don't really see how Holland are much better than Scotland tbh. Maybe 4-0 is a bit much. Probably would end up 4-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)