[EN] Premier League 2005/06 (4 Viewers)

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
The Newcastle derby between the Magpies and Sunderland was a treat to watch. 33 minutes in and it was 0-0, by the 42nd minute it was 2-2. Sunderland went behind twice only to pull themselves level in style with splendid strikes from Lawrence and Elliott. Ameobi had given Newcastle the lead with a couple of headers, both from Emre assists. Fittingly Emre proved to be the matchwinner with a superb curling free kick in the second half. Sunderland will feel hard done by as they had most of the play in the second half but Newcastle held on for the victory despite Sunderland coming as close as the crossbar through Elliott.
and because of this boring game we could not see juve on pplive :groan:

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
The Newcastle derby between the Magpies and Sunderland was a treat to watch. 33 minutes in and it was 0-0, by the 42nd minute it was 2-2. Sunderland went behind twice only to pull themselves level in style with splendid strikes from Lawrence and Elliott. Ameobi had given Newcastle the lead with a couple of headers, both from Emre assists. Fittingly Emre proved to be the matchwinner with a superb curling free kick in the second half. Sunderland will feel hard done by as they had most of the play in the second half but Newcastle held on for the victory despite Sunderland coming as close as the crossbar through Elliott.
Good goals all too - really rare in a five-goal thriller, though the Sunderland central defense is just too weak. Hard to believe Breen was talking to Inter only three years ago. Ameobi was fantastic for Newcastle. If he can keep that up, Shearer may struggle to keep his place when Owen is fit again.

I thought Elliot was terribly unlucky. That last lob onto the crossbar was a wonderful piece of instinctive play. Sunderland had a winger I didn't recognise playing very well too (Lawrence?).

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Good goals all too - really rare in a five-goal thriller, though the Sunderland central defense is just too weak. Hard to believe Breen was talking to Inter only three years ago. Ameobi was fantastic for Newcastle. If he can keep that up, Shearer may struggle to keep his place when Owen is fit again.

I thought Elliot was terribly unlucky. That last lob onto the crossbar was a wonderful piece of instinctive play. Sunderland had a winger I didn't recognise playing very well too (Lawrence?).
Yeah, Sunderland aren't good enough at the back. That said, neither are Newcastle. Elliot and company played well and Sunderland surprised with their build-up play in midfield, but the Newcastle defence was penetrated very easily. Carr, Boumsong, Taylor and Babayaro are all decent individual players, but just a bit of movement and creativity caused them numerous problems. Emre was very good going forward but him and Parker didn't keep it as tight as they needed to in Newcastle's engine room.

As you said, Elliot was awfully unlucky with that late lob and yes the Sunderland winger that played well was Lawrence. Sunderland really surprised me with their overall offensive play. They kept the ball well, moved it around nicely and were even able to play their way out of defence rather than utilising the classic English route one style. All of the promoted sides (West Ham, Wigan and Sunderland) have the ability to stay up and I expect West Ham and Wigan to cause a few more upsets before season's end.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by axlrose85 ] ++
to be honest,spurs deserve more credit than man utd.
they played really well in the 2nd half.
jenas's free kick was pure class.
spurs are looking very very impressive.i wudnt be surprised if they do this season was everton did last season.
I expect Tottenham and Man City to be up there fighting for a CL spot come May. I wouldn't be overly surprised if West Ham and Wigan qualify for the Uefa Cup or at least come close to doing so.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Yeah, Sunderland aren't good enough at the back. That said, neither are Newcastle. Elliot and company played well and Sunderland surprised with their build-up play in midfield, but the Newcastle defence was penetrated very easily. Carr, Boumsong, Taylor and Babayaro are all decent individual players, but just a bit of movement and creativity caused them numerous problems.
That's what I don't understand. They've got one fo the better keepers in the league behind them too. Certainly, Carr isn't the player he was before his injury (for those of you unfamiliar with him, he was being targeted by Man Utd, Arsenal and Barca before he did his knee ligaments in 2001, since which he's been a shadow of his old self) and I don't especially rate Taylor, but they should be good enough to keep better teams than Sunderland at bay.

Emre was very good going forward but him and Parker didn't keep it as tight as they needed to in Newcastle's engine room.
I don't know why that is. Parker's a decent defensive mid, and Emre's a busy enough player. Surely they can cover better then they have?

...Sunderland really surprised me with their overall offensive play. They kept the ball well, moved it around nicely and were even able to play their way out of defence rather than utilising the classic English route one style.
They've got another winger too, Welch IIRC, who seems to be quite lively. It sounds like they've got more firepower than people expected. Pity about the defending. I rather hope they stay up, as they're one of the most entertaining sides in the league this year.

All of the promoted sides (West Ham, Wigan and Sunderland) have the ability to stay up and I expect West Ham and Wigan to cause a few more upsets before season's end.
West Ham have a good young team. Reo Coker (sp?) looks like a quality attacking mid. I can see a bigger club coming in for him at the end of the season. I wonder if he's good enough to push Scholes for his place at Man Utd? They could use a player like that, both in the short and long terms. They've got a decent striker too (the Israeli guy, Ben-something) and Sheringham's class still shows. Seeing him come off the bench on the weekend to score like that made me think with a little nostalgia of the time when Man Utd could summon him and Solskjaer from the bench when in trouble - I can only imagine how already knackered Premiership defenders used to feel when they saw those two! They'll be fine this year.

I don't know Wigan's team at all. They've had a great start, but we'll have to wait to see if they can keep it up. Remember Ipswich... :)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Chelsea won all of their matches(except for the latest one)and though it's early but all know they'll win the title this season too.but in Italy,although Juve's won all the matches,Milan is chasing us very close and no one can say who will win the scudetto.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

I dont think they are great to watch but they are much stronger than other teams
as long as they're stronger than many other "great" teams in the world, then it's a pleasure and really great to watch them....

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

I don't know why that is. Parker's a decent defensive mid, and Emre's a busy enough player. Surely they can cover better then they have?
Perhaps it was because Sunderland outnumbered them in that area of the pitch as at times they had five across the midfield.

++ [ originally posted by Maresca ] ++
did anybody of you see the penalty incident of Pires in arsenals game against Man City?? it was so funny :rofl:
That was hilarious! :howler:

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
THERE IS A GOD SOMEWHERE!!! Ch€£$k¥ ARE OUT OF THE CARLING CUP...

May not seem like much, but the point is this: Mourinho can shut the fuck up!!!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by Chxta ] ++
THERE IS A GOD SOMEWHERE!!! Ch€£$k¥ ARE OUT OF THE CARLING CUP...

May not seem like much, but the point is this: Mourinho can shut the fuck up!!!
Who cares about the Carling Cup anyway? The Premiership is where it's at and Mouri has _no_ rivals at the moment, I doubt he'll be crying over the game tonight.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++

Who cares about the Carling Cup anyway? The Premiership is where it's at and Mouri has _no_ rivals at the moment, I doubt he'll be crying over the game tonight.
Can't be arsed to find the source at the moment, but I am extremely sure that I read him somewhere saying that he was going to get a quadruple this season...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)