Domenech: They Fix matches in Italy!! (6 Viewers)

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006

Former Under-21 Coach Marco Tardelli slammed Raymond Domenech for his match-fixing accusations. “He’s an idiot and a sore loser.”
France boss Domenech claimed in an interview with ‘Le Parisien’ that Italy had “bought” the referee in a play-off for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
Tardelli was the tactician in charge of the Azzurrini in that 2-1 second leg victory over Domenech’s youngsters and did not hesitate in hitting back.

“Every now and then Domenech says something really stupid,” replied Tardelli. “That’s what he’s like and once again he is trying to provoke opponents. He does this a lot.”
Italy won the tie in extra time after both legs ended 1-1 and the match Domenech is referring to was on November 17, 1999.
Officiated by Cardoso Cortez, the game saw Christian Bassila dismissed for striking Roberto Baronio in an off the ball incident witnessed by the linesman.

“There were two legs to that play-off, so presumably we would have had to ‘buy’ the referee in the first match as well,” added Tardelli on ‘Rai Sport.’
“Perhaps Domenech is preparing the ground for his fall if France lose at San Siro on September 8. It seems almost pointless answering back to him.”

And yet Tardelli took the opportunity to snipe at the World Cup Finalist ahead of that Euro 2008 crunch qualifier.

“Perhaps instead we should ask why he didn’t win more with the formidable Under-21 squads he had at his disposal. He never won anything. So these are the idiotic statements of a loser.”

Italy are the most successful side in the history of the European Under-21 Championship, having won the competition in 1992, ’94, ’96, 2000 and 2004.

source:http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/aug11a.html

Buy on AliExpress.com

ararossi

Jun 6, 2007
This is serious accusation by domenech, hope uefa comes down hard on him he always talks before he thinks if this some kind of mind game for the crucial upcoming game with Italy than it is pretty lame for this alone i hope we smash france in that match.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Precisely. They got there in spite of the coach. Kind of like Juve with Capello a couple years back.
at the start of the wc the french team were in disaray, probably the most dis-united squad at the wc, poor performances against switzerland, the players revolting against domenech, it was like france 98 all over again, up comes zidane, gets the team together and leads his men to the final, that is true leadership and leadership that can only be admired, domenech should thank zidane that he kept his head.

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
There are many, many reasons I want to see an Italian victory against France. Although you can never condemn an entire nation for the ridiculous antics of some of its citizens, I have to say I have seen so many French who are arrogant to the point of insult in victory, & like spoilt children having a toy taken from them in defeat!!!

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
There are many, many reasons I want to see an Italian victory against France. Although you can never condemn an entire nation for the ridiculous antics of some of its citizens, I have to say I have seen so many French who are arrogant to the point of insult in victory, & like spoilt children having a toy taken from them in defeat!!!
I hope its a draw so Scotland can catch up with both of them. :D

Already got my tickets for Scotland games against Lithuania and Ukraine. :tup:

Carlo D

The Jazz Man
May 27, 2007
only if they arnt called didi, trez and platini :D and maybe zidane (mixed opinions of him)
Aldo Platini, Michel's father is Italian...Michel's French by birth but some of his heart will always belong to Italy thanks to that, & in no small way also to Juventus! Michel Platini still regards Juve as I'm sure you know as his fave club!

& Holdon...great pic!!!

AngelaL

Jinx Minx
Aug 25, 2006
DoMUNCH (how's that for a Vinman-ism?) can bite me.

If I thought Lippi was lucky for not blowing the final, Domenech was gifted to actually make it -- given what the team had to do in spite of him.
How about Dumbeneck? :agree: on your second point.

Fuck Domenech

Tardelli: Domenech's a loser
Saturday 11 August, 2007
Former Under-21 Coach Marco Tardelli slammed Raymond Domenech for his match-fixing accusations. “He’s an idiot and a sore loser.”

France boss Domenech claimed in an interview with ‘Le Parisien’ that Italy had “bought” the referee in a play-off for the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Tardelli was the tactician in charge of the Azzurrini in that 2-1 second leg victory over Domenech’s youngsters and did not hesitate in hitting back.

Every now and then Domenech says something really stupid,” replied Tardelli. “That’s what he’s like and once again he is trying to provoke opponents. He does this a lot.”

Italy won the tie in extra time after both legs ended 1-1 and the match Domenech is referring to was on November 17, 1999.

Officiated by Cardoso Cortez, the game saw Christian Bassila dismissed for striking Roberto Baronio in an off the ball incident witnessed by the linesman.

“There were two legs to that play-off, so presumably we would have had to ‘buy’ the referee in the first match as well,” added Tardelli on ‘Rai Sport.’

“Perhaps Domenech is preparing the ground for his fall if France lose at San Siro on September 8. It seems almost pointless answering back to him.”

And yet Tardelli took the opportunity to snipe at the World Cup Finalist ahead of that Euro 2008 crunch qualifier.

“Perhaps instead we should ask why he didn’t win more with the formidable Under-21 squads he had at his disposal. He never won anything. So these are the idiotic statements of a loser.”

Italy are the most successful side in the history of the European Under-21 Championship, having won the competition in 1992, ’94, ’96, 2000 and 2004.

Channel4
------------------------

Well said, Marco
:agree: Word!

Perhaps Dumbeneck is trying to manipulate the officials, so that they are "anti-Italian in their decisions, thus favouring Dumbeneck's team.

Platini was right to call Dumbeneck's bluff and punish him if he cannot provide proof to back up such claims.

I think Dumbeneck is coaching the French NT on "borrowed time". He should have been replaced ages ago.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
laugh my ass off that the FFs say "it is only his own opinion......well that makes it all fine then doesn't it?
this is an absolute fool of a man and when france finally see sense and sack him he is gonna struggle to get a job in club management

Jun 13, 2007
Im very surprised at what he said , it's very hard to imagine a national team coach throwing accusations like that . I never knew he that much of a sore loser .
I don't even know why this guy is coaching the french national team in the first place .

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Domenech is just envious of all the attention Alexi Lalas is getting for his idiotic comments these days.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
As a fan of Les Bleus I've always been at odds with Domenech. As far as I'm concerned he's never achieved anything significant enough to get the NT job and he sure hasn't performed well in it. The team was a shambles at the last World Cup and it was anything but his influence that got them into form. For a coach to prepare his team so poorly for a WC is just unthinkable. And now he digs up some gripe from 2000, Tardelli was right to tell him off.

OP

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
  • Thread Starter #39
    I liked this:

Raymond Domenech's Tomfoolery

This week I had options. Do I write about Raymond Domenech or Jack Warner?
    I opted for Domenech because as Vice-President of FIFA, a piece on Warner (who ridiculously opposes England's bid to host the 2018 World Cup. He only added to the fury of England when he suggested that "no one in Europe likes England") would have taken me into the wee-hours to write.

So Domenech it is. Lucky you.

When it comes to sibling rivalries in world soccer, France versus Italy is the new pink. Not that this is anything new to the two Latin cousins. Throughout history, these cultural titans have always grabbed attention.

The sport of soccer could not have asked for anything more given that the two sides presently represent two of the stronger soccer nations on the planet.

Too bad France's coach Raymond " Bunny Hop" Domenech is besmirching all this.

His recent (and tiresomely persistent) anti-Italy outburst on the heel of an important EURO 2008 qualifier has finally earned him deserved scorn.

Perhaps it is time Ray takes a bike ride through the glorious streets of Paris to calm down. After that, he should splash some Shiraz on his sullen face and give a good, long hard look in the mirror. That way he'll see that there are no demons slaying the souls of his chivalrous French players.

So what did the good man have to say? He accused, rather churlishly, Italy of fixing a U-21 Olympic qualifying match between the two countries. The match in question took place way back in 2000! He says, "If it happens once you have doubts, but there are hidden agreements in Italian football."

Ah yes, those stylishly cunning Renaissance rejects. Always up to no good against la France. Is Domenech - who is a dramatist - auditioning for the commedia dell'arte or something?

The scary thing is that I think he actually believes what he says. Like that chick in Sunset Boulevard who still believed she was a star.

In response to Domenech's words of enlightenment, rugged Italian national player Gennaro Gattuso had to share his Calabrese thoughts. "That was a great match, which was fought by both sides and could have been won by France as well. If he wants, we can watch it again, together, to see if the referee was corrupt or not. I don't see why he had to say these things."

Italian team manager Gigi Riva was equally infuriated. "This is pathetic. He knows that Italy-France is an important tie and is trying to cause controversy. Why didn't he say these things back then, after the match? He is the one who is trying to influence the referee, it is a very sad thing to see."

En garde!

In the 1980's, there was a show here in Canada called Seeing Things. The plot revolved around the main character's distinguished and reoccurring premonitions. If it is ever decided to bring back the show, I nominate Raymond to be the main protagonist. As an amateur astrologist, he indeed sees many things .

In any event, his unsubstantiated comments crossed the line from coach trying to gain a psychological edge to an individual attacking the integrity of a national program.

Surely, as I read his comments, someone would have to step forward and reprimand him?

That person came in the form of UEFA President Michel Platini. The former Juventus soccer legend chimed in with his own firm remarks quoted in the outstanding French sports paper L' Equipe. "If Domenech does not submit evidence supporting what he has said he will be punished. We will send a letter to the French Federation asking for proof of what was claimed. If they fail to submit it we will take action and punish the coach."

As Smokey Robinson once said, "I second that emotion."

By now, French officials should have been hit with a two-day old baguette that Domenech - who continues to baffle and frustrate French fans with his perplexing selections - is belittling and demeaning the great achievements and legacy of French soccer.

That they elegantly did - the French soccer Federation has issued an apology as they let Domenech fend for himself. "Domenech's words were representative only of his personal opinion," FFF chief Jean-Pierre Escalettes explained.

Sigh. Between Italy and France they taught the world how to eat and act with sophistication. Several hundred types of cheeses and wines (and thousands of variations of foods) are produced within their shockingly delicious culinary societies.

Raymond Domenech carries this legacy perfectly well - Cheesy and whiny indeed.

Now if you don't mind Ray, we soccer fans want to anticipate this classic encounter in peace.

by Alessandro Nicolo
    blogcritics

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    I read the first paragraph of the above article, then I stopped reading. The fact that the author states Warner "ridiculously" opposes England in hosting the World Cup is just idiotic... 2018 is designated for NORTH AMERICA.

England. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)