Do you think Buffon will be any good when he returns? (8 Viewers)

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
So who is to stop me from implying that Sissoko will have 20 assists for us or for Iaquinta to score 9 bicycle kick goals this season?

The answer is no one. But I'd still look like an idiot.
That wouldn't be an educated guess it would be just a regular one :)

Although to for Amauri to score 20+ that would have been his season of a lifetime.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
So who is to stop me from implying that Sissoko will have 20 assists for us or for Iaquinta to score 9 bicycle kick goals this season?

The answer is no one. But I'd still look like an idiot.
Easy there, buddy. When I said Amauri is capable of scoring many goals, I gave reasons for why I think this such as physique, aerial ability, etc..

In other words, I said he has the makings of a good striker.

Say this kid born into a relatively wealthy family is exposed to a proper education from a school with the best teachers and best facilities in the country.

I would be perfectly rational in assuming that he will receive a proper education or that he will succeed financially in life even though I know nothing about his previous academic scores etc..

Same goes for Amauri. He has the correct attributes that would make a good striker, therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if he did well.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Easy there, buddy. When I said Amauri is capable of scoring many goals, I gave reasons for why I think this such as physique, aerial ability, etc..

Say this kid born into a relatively wealthy family is exposed to a proper education from a school with the best teachers and best facilities in the country.

I would be perfectly rational in assuming that he will receive a proper education or that he will succeed financially in life even though I know nothing about his previous academic scores etc..

Same goes for Amauri. He has the correct attributes that would make a good striker, therefore, I wouldn't be surprised if he did well.
In other words he has the data, but lacks the inmeasurable mental attributes to make him the beast he can be? :p

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #87

Maybe I can help. What you're trying to say is that despite all his attributes he sucks, and there is no logical explanation for this, he's simply a freak of nature. :D

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    3EBlind, what was your previous nick if I may ask?
    'Juve Reverend' has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

By the way, Rev doesn't stand for Reverend. It stood for Revolutionist. :alen:

That wouldn't be an educated guess it would be just a regular one :)

Although to for Amauri to score 20+ that would have been his season of a lifetime.
    Exactly, there's a difference between an educated guess and a plain stupid one.

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    In other words he has the data, but lacks the inmeasurable mental attributes to make him the beast he can be? :p
    Playing with words, are we? :D

No, he lacks the measurable mental attributes to make him the beast that he can be.

Maybe I can help. What you're trying to say is that despite all his attributes he sucks, and there is no logical explanation for this, he's simply a freak of nature. :D
    I like to be diplomatic and not say it like that, but yeah, that's what I'm saying. :lol:

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
    May 27, 2009
    Exactly, there's a difference between an educated guess and a plain stupid one.
    Your educated guess really proved us all wrong I guess, yeah.

No, he lacks the measurable mental attributes to make him the beast that he can be.

I like to be diplomatic and not say it like that, but yeah, that's what I'm saying. :lol:
    Which makes your educated guess a "plain stupid one". :agree:

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

That makes no sense at all. So if you guess and get it wrong the guess becomes stupid...

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #93
    That makes no sense at all. So if you guess and get it wring it the guess becomes stupid...
    No, it was a stupid guess from the beginning (sorry, reverend), and lots of people said so then and there. But in hindsight it's become even more obvious how poor a guess it was.

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007

I don't know what you're problem is buddy, but I'm not too impressed by your adept ability of misunderstanding very simple statements.

Amauri could score 20 plus goals is not the same as saying Iaquinta is going to score 14 bicycle kicks. I'm not going to explain why because I feel I will be insulting your intelligence, not that there is much going on in there anyway but still.

If you think I'm an idiot for saying that Amauri can score over 20 goals per season; be my guess. Hell, you can even put it as your signature if you want like some other bright fellow around these parts. I honestly don't care.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    No, it was a stupid guess from the beginning (sorry, reverend), and lots of people said so then and there. But in hindsight it's become even more obvious how poor a guess it was.
    The amouri guess, well yeah I can agree to somewhat extent, because amauri haven't scored in his whole career 20+. But what I don't agree with is that if you argument your guess and then get it wrong your guess becomes stupid, that is what i don't agree with. The amauri guess was quite bold :)

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    It's unfortunate that you too, Martin, aren't getting it.

What you said would have made a lot of sense, if I actually said something like this, 'Amauri will score 20 or more goals by the end of this season.'

What I actually said was 'Amauri is capable of scoring 20 plus goals in a single season.'

I know you'll be able to differentiate between the two statements and realize that what I said was not that far fetched at all, in fact.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #97
    It's unfortunate that you too, Martin, aren't getting it.

What you said would have made a lot of sense, if I actually said something like this, 'Amauri will score 20 or more goals by the end of this season.'

What I actually said was 'Amauri is capable of scoring 20 plus goals in a single season.'

I know you'll be able to differentiate between the two statements and realize that what I said was not that far fetched at all, in fact.
    Yes, it was that far fetched. Given that Amauri has never even been close to scoring that many goals, it was far fetched and then some. And given that Amauri for Juve has scored even less than elsewhere adds to it. Only a ridiculous optimist could believe that Amauri was likely to score that many goals this year, it was wishful thinking.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #98
    But what I don't agree that if you argument your guess and it you get it wrong in the end the guess becomes stupid, that is what i don't agree with. The amauri guess was quite bold :)
    It depends. Making a good guess is based on a) knowing the important facts and b) being able to assign importance to them.

A person who is either ignorant or has poor judgment can make a bad guess, and if he's stubborn he can be immune to the rationale of other people trying to tell him that.

In hindsight, once it becomes clear that he either wasn't aware of something very important or he over/underestimated the importance of something, in some cases only then can you get through to him that his reasoning was on the wrong track.

The value of the guess doesn't change, but our ability to intelligently judge the guess may very well change over time.

rounder

Blindman
    Jun 13, 2007
    Yes, it was that far fetched. Given that Amauri has never even been close to scoring that many goals, it was far fetched and then some. And given that Amauri for Juve has scored even less than elsewhere adds to it. Only a ridiculous optimist could believe that Amauri was likely to score that many goals this year, it was wishful thinking.
    Didn't Amauri score 12 goals in half a season? Does it really take a ridiculous optimist to assume that he just might be able to make it 20 in a whole season.

I'll admit that's most plausible that he won't score 20 or more goals per season, but I will say that it's not idiotic to say that he could.

Again, there's a difference between making a prediction and just casting your opinion.

Had I predicted that he will score that many goals, then I will admit that it was probably a really stupid prediction. But I never said that. I said that he, given his attributes, is capable of doing so.

Remember, that part of having to repeat yourself over and over again and yet to no avail. That's kind of what's happening now. Please make an effort to understand the difference. Thanks.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #100
    Didn't Amauri score 12 goals in half a season? Does it really take a ridiculous optimist to assume that he just might be able to make it 20 in a whole season.

I'll admit that's most plausible that he won't score 20 or more goals per season, but I will say that it's not idiotic to say that he could.
    He had scored 12 goals in half a season over 18 months ago, at the time of this guess. Since then he'd been absolutely terrible at scoring goals. And neither does he have a strong history of scoring goals that one could point to in order to argue that "he's just in a slump". In any event, a season and a half is a really really long time to be in a slump.

Was it idiotic? I don't know why you would want to suggest names for me to call you. :D I didn't say that, I said t was wishful thinking.

Again, there's a difference between making a prediction and just casting your opinion.

Had I predicted that he will score that many goals, then I will admit that it was probably a really stupid prediction. But I never said that. I said that he, given his attributes, is capable of doing so.

Remember, that part of having to repeat yourself over and over again and yet to no avail. That's kind of what's happening now. Please make an effort to understand the difference. Thanks.
    I know that you didn't make a prediction like Elvin who made a fool of himself. But that statement that someone quoted where you said that there is no reason to say that Amauri can't score as many goals as Trezeguet, because part records cannot possibly inform us, that was ludicrous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)