Do you think Buffon will be any good when he returns? (3 Viewers)

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
ßöмßäяðîëя;2784822 said:
You can't retain reflexes by training.

No matter how good you are, your head will stay intact, but your body will start to slow down, no matter how much you train.
I don't think he's that old. Gigi's still got it.

Great GKs have shown us that they reach their peaks when they're 30-36 years old. Just like Peter Schmeichel, VDS and your man Oliver Kahn.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
To be honest, I think Buffon's glory days are over. I remember back when his presence contributed to our victories in at least half of our games. Games were decided on how well Buffon did. In the past few years, things have changed. Many times, I'd notice errors creep in game after game and he no longer seems to have that commanding presence he once did.

Of course, I hope he comes back and returns to his old self, but it must be said that superman hasn't been very super for the past few seasons.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
If I tell you that a Quarterback who makes 10/30 completions but averages 6 Touchdowns per game is better than a Quarterback who makes 19/21 completions but averages 3 touchdowns per game, would you agree?

I think the same applies to goalkeepers. Sure, he makes world class saves from time to time but in general, he cannot be compared to his old self. With that said, he's still among the top 5 gk's in the world even though his form is declining but he is no longer the undisputed number one.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Sure, he makes world class saves from time to time but in general, he cannot be compared to his old self. With that said, he's still among the top 5 gk's in the world even though his form is declining but he is no longer the undisputed number one.
You didn't say that in your previous post though. You said:

To be honest, I think Buffon's glory days are over.
...it must be said that superman hasn't been very super for the past few seasons
Clearly you were mistaken.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
You didn't say that in your previous post though. You said:

Clearly you were mistaken.
So I said that Buffon's glory days were over. Then I go on to say that he is no longer number one. I'm sorry, am I missing something because I don't think that my statements were contradictory.

When I say he is no longer super, that's exactly what I mean. And in that video, I would only consider three saves to be truly great. The rest were little more than average.

Julius Cesar has had much better moments than Buffon in the last couple of the seasons truth be told.

I don't know why you're having a hard time understanding this. Buffon is still good but he's not as good as he used to be. If you think I'm mistaken then you're saying he's still the best in the world.

And that sir means that you are clearly mistaken.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I can't find any logical reasoning to answer this question, one can say he will be great again and the other would say no and both can be right.

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
I can't find any logical reasoning to answer this question, one can say he will be great again and the other would say no and both can be right.
Actually, both can't be right. One would necessarily have to be wrong. Problem is, the question is as abstract as asking whether or not Amauri will ever cut his hair in the future and look like he has a pair.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
So I said that Buffon's glory days were over. Then I go on to say that he is no longer number one. I'm sorry, am I missing something because I don't think that my statements were contradictory.

When I say he is no longer super, that's exactly what I mean. And in that video, I would only consider three saves to be truly great. The rest were little more than average.

Julius Cesar has had much better moments than Buffon in the last couple of the seasons truth be told.

I don't know why you're having a hard time understanding this. Buffon is still good but he's not as good as he used to be. If you think I'm mistaken then you're saying he's still the best in the world.

And that sir means that you are clearly mistaken.
He is a difference maker. By one save he can change an aspect of the game. What he has done so far with us clearly shows he is irreplaceable for the time being. What Buffon can do, no other goalkeeper can. A great goalkeeper for me is not one who only makes spectacular saves, as Gigi has no problem with, but also to have an impact on the team by just his presence.

You were mistaken with your "Buffon isn't super anymore" statement. If you can't understand that, then I don't care.

And also, it isn't fair to compare Cesar with Buffon in the last couple of seasons as one of them was injured for a long period of time.

Bozi

The Bozman
Administrator
Oct 18, 2005
will be get back to his best? YES i firmly believe he will,mid 30's is when goalkeepers reach their peak,unlike players keepers seem to improve once they go into their 30's.
howerver,i think it will not be until next season,or the closing weeks of this season that we will see the "superman" performances. he will not be match sharp for a while,he has been out a long time and it may take him a bit of time to settle back into the team. make no mistake though just about every club in world football would wish to have a half-fit Buffon in their team,the aura he brings to the backline will be clearly visible and hopefully it will help settle the Bonnuci-Chiellini partnership

It doesn't matter...we have Amauri to outscore any goals we concede when he is in.
wait a minute,Amauri on the pitch = no goals....

maybe we should play Amauri in goal

For those familiar with Cech, who is by all accounts not as good as he once was after that injury, what exactly about him has changed? Is it injury-related? Does Buffon risk the same?
nah,Petr has the FEAR now,that slight doubt that he may suffer another injury due to a players challenge,Cech's problem is not physical like Gigi,it is simply a psychological problem he carries

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)