David Trezeguet (28 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well, that's the problem. The last great coach was Jacquet, and Lemerre the bozo was just recycling. Then there was the epic fail of Santini which is best forgotten until we were blessed with Domenech, who challenges even the finest imbeciles on idiocy. Zidane has held all of this together for so long that the lack of a coach wasn't quite as obvious as it now is, at least 2006 was a success.

When I think of what this amazing team could have achieved since 98, the unlikely victory, up to 2006, the near repetition, three World Cups and two Euros, could have propelled France from a never was to a European giant. And yet thinking back on it is like thinking back on Juve since 96; 4 lost finals, 2 almost scudetti under Carlo, 2 more revoked under Capello, oy vey.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
For starters, the coach is a complete idiot. 2006 was a miracle, partly thanks to Zidane. Now there is no Zidane. And while the players are still good, it's not a very convincing team anymore. Ribery is phenomenal, and he showed at the World Cup that he's completely up to the responsibility. I think Benzema is too. But Nasri and Ben Arfa are pretty raw, Malouda stinks lately, and so on. Unless Ribery really is the new leader, in which case this could be a success.
Well the zidanless team beat italy 3-1. Although yeah its a long ago and players might have had that extra motivation.

But well Henry and Vieira aint bad options. Besides Ben Arfa wont play major part anyway imo.

And even if Henry s-cked with barca, i think his up for the task with france. I expect france to go through from the groups.

Its more likely Italy (with slow starts as usually) or Dutch will fail (not the best of defences)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well the zidanless team beat italy 3-1. Although yeah its a long ago and players might have had that extra motivation.
That was just a single match. Winning a tournament takes so much more, and France have had spectacular fiascos in the recent past as you remember.

But well Henry and Vieira aint bad options. Besides Ben Arfa wont play major part anyway imo.

And even if Henry s-cked with barca, i think his up for the task with france. I expect france to go through from the groups.
Henry and Vieira both had crappy seasons. And he hasn't played particularly well for the national team in a long time. I mean that win against Italy, it was friggin Govou!

Its more likely Italy (with slow starts as usually) or Dutch will fail (not the best of defences)
Italy has a very good all round team, I think they could win this.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Dont get me wrong, i would like to see France fail, especially after Trez wasnt called, but its still too good of a team. Unless something major f--k up, they dont go through the groups, but as i said, italy or holland more likely to f--k up. Its not like all italians have played well either, eh? Pirlo and Gattuso hasnt had the best of seasons, Cannavaro is questionable, not so great with real. Only one winger in the team.

And then theres dutch, questionings over their discipline, the lack of coaching experience, not really any goot leader there either imo.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
That was just a single match. Winning a tournament takes so much more, and France have had spectacular fiascos in the recent past as you remember.

Henry and Vieira both had crappy seasons. And he hasn't played particularly well for the national team in a long time. I mean that win against Italy, it was friggin Govou!

Italy has a very good all round team, I think they could win this.
as i said, the milan midfield hasnt had the best success, will canna manage to be leader of the defence with his poor performances and not starter with real. The unexperience of Donadoni (can he manage to keep Cassano quiet). Italy dont have a natural AM playmaker. Zambro hasnt had a good season.

And then there is the motivation.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Well, maybe it's typical to think everyone else has the better team. I've been skeptical about Italy but recently the atmosphere around the national team has been surprisingly good and I've changed my mind.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006

that was just one game, besides serie a began a month after the french league and the italians werent match fit, this also showed against Lithuania.

as i said, the milan midfield hasnt had the best success, will canna manage to be leader of the defence with his poor performances and not starter with real. The unexperience of Donadoni (can he manage to keep Cassano quiet). Italy dont have a natural AM playmaker. Zambro hasnt had a good season.

And then there is the motivation.
There is extra motivation for all the players when they pull on the azzurri jersey. These players might not have had their best seasons with their respective clubs, but their performances with the national team are always top notch! Donadoni proved that he is up to the task by finishing top of qualifying after a dismal start. The team is very versatile and has the ability to change formations during the match many times, which always keeps the opposition guessing. IMO, If Italy get out of their group of death, then they will go on to win the tournament. I will be very surprised and disappointed if they dont reach the final. Italy v Germany is my guess.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Trezeguet: "What has happened to me is not acceptable, inexplicable. I have shown on the pitch that I deserve a place. I hope ... for the World Cup in South Africa something will change, however."

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Trezeguet On Euro Snub And Amauri

Juventus striker and former World Champion David Trezeguet talked about his exclusion from France's Euro 2008 squad and his probable future team mate Amauri.

David Trezeguet talked about his surprising absence from the list of French players for Euro 2008, and welcomed his probable new Juventus team mate Amauri, but not without warning him that he might not get a chance to play from the start.

"What happened is inexplicable, unacceptable. I should have been one of the 23 players called up," he said. "But life goes on, I will stay 100% concentrated on Juventus. At this point the World Cup in South Africa is my last chance, I don't close the door on Les Bleus."

On his future with Juventus: "Personally I don't have any doubts: I am motivated and I consider myself important for the team. If Amauri or another striker comes, he will have to adapt to our play. It also happened to me when I first came here, I was the fourth choice behind Del Piero, Inzaghi, and Kovacevic."

Asked if Amauri is worthy of Juve, he said: "He'll have to show that, now he has the chance to play in a big team. If the club buys him, they must think he's an excellent player. The plans of the club are to rebuild the team in 4-5 years. I hope we already win something important next season as I'm not getting any younger. The important thing is to spend the money well, the objective is to win the Scudetto next year."

goal.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Trezeguet blasts Domenech over Euro snub

ROME (AFP) - Juventus forward David Trezeguet blasted France coach Raymond Domenech in an interview printed Saturday in the Gazzetta dello Sport after he was left out of the Euro 2008 preliminary squad.

Despite fine goal-scoring form for the Serie A giants this season, Trezeguet has once again found himself out of favour with Domenech for the June showpiece in Austria and Switzerland.

He did not even make it into the 30-man squad called up for a week of training in preparation for the tournament.

"(Roberto) Donadoni (the Italy coach) called up (Alessandro) Del Piero and (Antonio) Cassano, players who can win a match," said the striker.

"What's happened to me is unacceptable and inexcusable.

"On the pitch I've shown that I deserve my place. The choices made are incomprehensible, I deserve to go to the Euros."

Trezeguet - or Trezegol as he is known by Juve fans - finished second in the top scorers table this season, behind only team-mate Del Piero.

"Yes I'm disappointed. I was counting on the Euros to try to forget about the World Cup final," added Trezeguet, who was part of the squad that lost to Italy on penalties in the final.

"I'll be supporting in front of my television and I hope that for my last opportunity - the World Cup in South Africa (in two years time) - something will change."

He would need a change of coach probably to get a look in as Domenech clearly does not rate the Argentine-born striker.

"I've already said, it's a formation choice," he said last week. "We have four or five central strikers, we can't multiply the positions, you have to make a choice."

AFP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)