Cristiano Ronaldo (49 Viewers)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Basketball isn't just the NBA. You make it sound like it is.
fair point, but the euro league is a stepping stone for the NBA if you’re lucky, and the Chinese league is an exhibition league.

the NBA is like the champions league with the same teams all the time

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Every sport is different so we should just stop comparing athletes altogether then. I specifically said how does Ronaldo fare against fellow forwards instead of how good he is defensively compared to other footballers, since it's more position divided game. So is Ronaldo a elite player in both phases compared to others playing the same position? It's one thing to have "defensive duties", it's a whole nother thing to be elite at it for a decade, while also carrying the offense of your team as well. Jordan was Ronaldo with Mandzukic esque defense and workrate, if you want an accurate translation to football

- - - Updated - - -

Saying your opinion, a terrible one at that, and then add it's a fact lol
Yet alone, we should stop comparing different generations, even if it was from the same sport but it's what sports are all about, connecting the history of the past to today's game and it's what makes it "fun" to look different players and what they have done.

It's getting even more pathetic by bringing Mandzu on this, nothing away from him but his attacking abilities are nowhere where Ronaldo's is, so he has to do something else or let's say, he needs to bring something else on the table since his numbers ain't 50 goals a season for a decade. If you guarantee 50 goals a season in 11v11 game, you get certain freedoms just because there's enough players to cover you. If you score 30 points a game in basketball, you not defending would cause enemy team doing 60 in return - that's the difference. Jordan just did what he was supposed to do, just like everyone else and maybe he was little bit better overall player than anybody else, so it automatically led to him being your so called defensive "genius".

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
The amount of skill required to play football at the professional level supersedes athletic build and height.

Dexterity can be more easily achieved with one's hands than feet.

I'll go ahead and say that football is harder than basketball. Therefore, football GOATs > basketball GOATs.
Not to mention, football is literally the only activity (besides walking/running) that humans use their feet for. Hands being the go-to instrument... football is definitely the hardest sport.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Not to mention, football is literally the only activity (besides walking/running) that humans use their feet for. Hands being the go-to instrument... football is definitely the hardest sport.
WTF did I just read.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wow. 2004 CL. The semis were comprised of Deportivo, Monaco, Porto, and Chelsea :baus: :tup:

We performed admirably that season, losing in the RO16 to Deportivo :touched:

We were absolute trash in the CL in 2004, 2005 and 2006 - losing to Depor, Liverpool and Arsenal in those respective seasons.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Jordan just did what he was supposed to do, just like everyone else and maybe he was little bit better overall player than anybody else, so it automatically led to him being your so called defensive "genius".
There is just too much wrong with this, I don't know if I should even respond.

About Ronaldo and Mandzu, I was just giving you an example but if you insist then how about Cavani or Tevez? Before you start writing what they all lack compared to CR, I was just asking a simple question, is there room for Ronaldo year in year out on a hypothetical all Defensive team? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 19th? In the end, he's still GOAT (or one of them, whatever) of football, but stuff like that does matter when you want to put him above athletes of other sports

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
The amount of skill required to play football at the professional level supersedes athletic build and height.

Dexterity can be more easily achieved with one's hands than feet.

I'll go ahead and say that football is harder than basketball. Therefore, football GOATs > basketball GOATs.
yeah Ive never said skill doesnt play major part and I find basketball players more skilled, while physically they would wipe the floor with footballers :) . Claim about dexterity is futile since basketball requires more finesse and precision. There are more facets in basketball game, strategy, movement, quicker decision making, the game is simply more intense physically and mentally, you are required to play at both ends when you are in, etc... Most who played either, will atest to that. You can prefer football as most people do, but you dont need to be deluded.

- - - Updated - - -

There is just too much wrong with this, I don't know if I should even respond.

About Ronaldo and Mandzu, I was just giving you an example but if you insist then how about Cavani or Tevez? Before you start writing what they all lack compared to CR, I was just asking a simple question, is there room for Ronaldo year in year out on a hypothetical all Defensive team? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 19th? In the end, he's still GOAT (or one of them, whatever) of football, but stuff like that does matter when you want to put him above athletes of other sports
Jordan was little bit better :lol2:

Last edited:

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
This is laughable. Even if this outlandish claim had any truth in it, it is futile since basketball requires more finesse and precision. I have rarely seen a basketball player shooting from distance with his weaker hand while It is common in football to shoot with weaker foot as there is more room for error. There are more facets in basketball game, movement, quicker decision making, the game is simply more intense physically and mentally, you are required to play at both ends when you are in, etc... Most who played either, will atest to that. You can prefer football as most people do, but you dont need to be deluded.

- - - Updated - - -

Jordan was little bit better :lol2:
We can both play this game and it's gonna be a slippery slope.

Controlling the ball and dribbling with your feet (running at a high speed) is definitely harder than doing so with your hands. Striking volleys, overhead and bicycle kicks is infinitely harder than anything basketball players can do. Yes yes you will come and say that basketball players do this and that.

But the fact remains that football has over 4 billion fans worldwide and a good portion of that trying to become pros. Basketball only has a fraction of that, and it's mostly tall blacks (75%) who make it to the top. Now tell me which sport is more competitive. Obviously the one with more competitors. The bar is raised higher for professional footballers.

Not going to argue that getting into the NBA is not harder than playing for a shitty Serie A team due to the lack of spots and teams (JuveJay made a good argument) but the amount of dedication football players require to reach the absolute top is simply above that one of basketball.

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
We can both play this game and it's gonna be a slippery slope.

Controlling the ball and dribbling with your feet (running at a high speed) is definitely harder than doing so with your hands. Striking volleys, overhead and bicycle kicks is infinitely harder than anything basketball player can do. Yes yes you will come and say that basketball players do this and that.

But the fact remains that football has over 4 billion fans worldwide and a good portion of that trying to become pros. Basketball only has a fraction of that, and it's mostly tall blacks (75%) who make it to the top. Now tell me which sport is more competitive. Obviously the one with more competitors. The bar is raised higher for professional footballers.

Not going to argue that getting into the NBA is not harder than playing for a shitty Serie A team due to the lack of spots and teams (JuveJay made a good argument) but the amount of dedication football players require to reach the absolute top is simply above that one of basketball.
Striking a voley is harder than double-pump dunk? Most people dont even try because they dont have physical predispositions to succeed in game of basketball. Skill alone wont get you far. While there are plenty of skilled but relatively physically weak football players plying their trade in top clubs. Our own club has a few.. ahm Pjanic ;)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Striking a voley is harder than double-pump dunk? Most people dont even try because they dont have physical predispositions to succeed in game of basketball. Skill alone wont get you far. While there are plenty of skilled but relatively physically weak football players plying their trade in top clubs. Our own club has a few.. ahm Pjanic ;)
I guess powerlifting is the most competitive sport in the world then.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
Why you keep mentioning physicality? Muscles don't make you more skillful at what you do. Yes, they're freaking beasts. Freakishly tall and ripped but that doesn't necessarily mean they have more skills than footballers do. I'd understand if we talked about the 90s basketball where hand checking and hard defense was allowed. Then I'd get your point at least because now I don't.

You say basketball requires more precision, I can argue about that. It's easier to control a basketball and throw it into a hole with your hands than make something precise happen with your legs. But yeah, as @IliveForJuve said this discussion will have no end, we can have shitloads of arguments.

Personally, I play both sports and have always found football as more difficult sport to play. Mostly because everything is easier to do with your arms than it is with your legs.

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Why you keep mentioning physicality? Muscles don't make you more skillful at what you do. Yes, they're freaking beasts. Freakishly tall and ripped but that doesn't necessarily mean they have more skills than footballers do. I'd understand if we talked about the 90s basketball where hand checking and hard defense was allowed. Then I'd get your point at least because now I don't.

You say basketball requires more precision, I can argue about that. It's easier to control a basketball and throw it into a hole with your hands than make something precise happen with your legs. But yeah, as @IliveForJuve said this discussion will have no end, we can have shitloads of arguments.
They dont make you more skilful. It is just complete package, skill, agility, strength, stamina, precision, coordination, etc that are required to excell at game of basketball. It is smaller pool to choose from which at the same time is easier for those in, but also impossible for those that fall outside of the bracket and no amount of training can help you to overcome shortcomings, bar few rare examples. Both basketball and football became too soft compared to 90s though.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
They dont make you more skilful. It is just complete package, skill, agility, strength, stamina, precision, coordination, etc that are required to excell at game of basketball. It is smaller pool to choose from which at the same time is easier for those in, but also impossible for those that fall outside of the bracket and no amount of training can help you to overcome shortcomings, bar few rare examples. Both basketball and football became too soft compared to 90s though.
Neymar and Cuads come to mind with their diving for 90 mins, week in and week out.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Personally, I play both sports and have always found football as more difficult sport to play. Mostly because everything is easier to do with your arms than it is with your legs.
What about running away form the cops after robbing a 7-11? :klin:

- - - Updated - - -

These Jordan vs LeBron arguments taking me back to those warm Brooklyn nights at house parties during college :touched:
There is no argument, and that's why Bronsexuals need to throw that shit about Lebron being the greatest in his era, to justify giving him the GOAT title. No man that has a losing record in the finals and got swept twice on the biggest stage can be considered the GOAT. I'm not even going into other aspects and intangibles, all which favor Jordan (aside from longevity).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)