Cristiano Ronaldo (46 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Every 5v5 sport requires everybody to defend and it's just because it's the name of the game and you can't let other team have 20% more players involved into game in a 5v5 sports by having it at 5v4, but you could do it if it was 50v49 because the difference would just be that 2%. Also, the field in football is way bigger and game lasts 90mins with 3 subs, meanwhile basketball is 48mins with unlimited subs + the game isn't on whole time, so conserving the energy much as possible is the key and since the field is way bigger as well, the coverage around the field becomes way harder as well, so there goes the defensive duties or attacking duties if you're playing either end of the field(defense/attack) and if you did, there's a guy to cover you down there if you went to the attacking zone as a defender and so on.

It's ridiclous to compare basketball to football and even more pathetic to bring up the "defensive duties". Put up a field size of a boxing ring and play 5v5 football and im sure every single player in there would try to block all the possible shots, it just doesn't make sense to bring up the defensive stuff since football has so much bigger field to play on.
In basketball 48 min are effective play. Meaning they stop the clock for every throw in, foul, free throw, etc... I recall a while ago they have been keeping track in football on how many minutes of the match are actually effective play and it was around 50 minutes...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
In basketball 48 min are effective play. Meaning they stop the clock for every throw in, foul, free throw, etc... I recall a while ago they have been keeping track in football on how many minutes of the match are actually effective play and it was around 50 minutes...
And a lot of walking and jogging in football. And in basketball it’s full of sprints up and down.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
And a lot of walking and jogging in football. And in basketball it’s full of sprints up and down.
Without a doubt basketball is more intensive sport and MJ averaging 38 minutes per match outshines strain of any football player so for me he is the ultimate goat. Everything about his immense talent and clutchiness has already been said. He takes a break for a year and a half to play different fucking sport, where entirely different group of muscles are trained. Then he decides to return to NBA and wins 3 championships in a row, while being by far the best player in the league... :)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
By “most gifted”, I thought that @GordoDeCentral meant the most talented player, not the most gifted athlete. That’s why I picked Messi.

If he did mean the most gifted athlete, then Bo Jackson makes sense I guess.

If you never actually saw Bo Jackson, and just went off of his statistics, one could question why he would be on any list, much less the greatest athlete of the 20th century.

His body of work is criminally short.

He just simply suffered a freak injury on what looked like a routine tackle. It severed the Artery surrounding his hip, that caused all the cartilage in his hip to die. To even make it back to playing Major League Baseball after hip replacement surgery is an incredible testament to his physical prowess.

And make no mistake, he was supremely talented in both football and baseball. The only player to ever make the All Star teams in both sports.

May 25, 2019
Basketball is also physically more demanding than football and you need to make decisions much quicker. In general basketball players are more intelligent bunch than football players. Imo based on what Ive seen over the years and I trained both, basketball for 6 years, football for 2.
I don't know about that, unless you are getting double teamed in basketball, you can keep your dribble pretty easily. In football you've got defenders in every direction if you are playing up front. My sons coach has a daughter that played football and then made the transition to basketball and her coach raved about her ability to make quick decisions. Having played basketball (albeit at a rec level) growing up and just goofing around in football with my son, I'd say that in football you have to make quicker decisions.

Basketball isn't girly. Physical play in the paint against 6'7+ guys? If someone threw an elbow you'd run back scurrying to your maid, burying your tiny head between her thighs ;)
If you play in the paint you'll have to work for points and rebounds against big and bruising men. I remember when I was in highschool we used to play against men before school in the gym. One of the guys that was probably in his 40's decided to try and stop me from backing him down in the post, well his knee got jacked up because he couldn't handle my size and strength.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Basketball is also physically more demanding than football and you need to make decisions much quicker. In general basketball players are more intelligent bunch than football players. Imo based on what Ive seen over the years and I trained both, basketball for 6 years, football for 2.
The amount of skill required to play football at the professional level supersedes athletic build and height.

Dexterity can be more easily achieved with one's hands than feet.

I'll go ahead and say that football is harder than basketball. Therefore, football GOATs > basketball GOATs.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
The amount of skill required to play football at the professional level supersedes athletic build and height.

Dexterity can be more easily achieved with one's hands than feet.

I'll go ahead and say that football is harder than basketball. Therefore, football GOATs > basketball GOATs.
that’s a bad way to look at it, it’s way harder to become an NBA athlete than a football athlete because just skill alone won’t cut it in the NBA

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
that’s a bad way to look at it, it’s way harder to become an NBA athlete than a football athlete because just skill alone won’t cut it in the NBA
If we are trying to argue which sport is more competitive then football has the edge.

A lot more people worldwide play football. The sheer number of competitors tells you why the skill required to play this sport at the top level is much higher than that of basketball.

There is also the fact it's not THAT uncommon to see basketball players who started playing basketball quite late (say high school or later, Tim Duncan, Hakeem Olajuwon, Dennis Rodman, etc) and still turned pro after a few years of training. That is just unthinkable at the highest level in football.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Just size has cut it in the NBA before, but not for any elite players. There are still 6'9" guys who do well with limited "skill" (by this I guess it means offensive skill, shooting, dribbling etc) by being determined and hard nosed, often defensively. There's been quite a few guys from SF to C over the years and today who fall into this category where they're mentally stronger than any technical aspect. I don't think that kind of thing works so well in football, those players without skill slowly drifted down to the second or third tier by around the millennium. I used to watched PL players in the 90s in England who would be League 1 or 2 level now. Football is such a global sport that once foreign players could come and go it raised the skill level of leagues to a very high level.

It's harder to become an NBA player simply because of numbers - 5 starters per team and far fewer teams than there are in say, even just the top 4 or 5 leagues in Europe.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Really, it's an effective play in NBA? Didn't i already bring it up on my post, that it gives time to recover as well...Another thing with NBA or we could say in all american sports are the commercial breaks, which again giving time to recover, which in my opinion isn't a bad thing when you want to have higher quality game around with more rested players. Then, we could go ahead and bring the weather into the picture as well since we're going to this route and say that at the times, football players are playing in extreme weather compared to fully air-continioned NBA arenas. Then you could go ahead and look the body type of football players and you can see they ain't 2m and 100kg just because, the game itself requires way more stamina than basketball does. I would actually like to see LeBron running fully 90mins in a soccer game or you could bring Jordan as well, it wouldn't matter. Football player could easily play an NBA game as far if we forget the technical abilities, but NBA player couldn't crack it on a football field - and it's a fact and it just proves that if Jordan was able to be mentioned about his defensive duties in basketball, it's because the sport he used to play did allow it. If you're that much better than the others, you can still get mentioned on other aspects of the game in basketball because you're more involved because of the less players in the field and it's absolutely nothing away from him, he's like i'v said, one of the absolute greats in the sports world, no matter what game we're talking about and you seriously don't need to bring up some complete BS statistics by making him look better than someone else from another sport because he's who he is, but i'd refrain from doing it just because it would just prove that whoever brings it up, doesn't know anything about football or sports in general.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Every 5v5 sport requires everybody to defend and it's just because it's the name of the game and you can't let other team have 20% more players involved into game in a 5v5 sports by having it at 5v4, but you could do it if it was 50v49 because the difference would just be that 2%. Also, the field in football is way bigger and game lasts 90mins with 3 subs, meanwhile basketball is 48mins with unlimited subs + the game isn't on whole time, so conserving the energy much as possible is the key and since the field is way bigger as well, the coverage around the field becomes way harder as well, so there goes the defensive duties or attacking duties if you're playing either end of the field(defense/attack) and if you did, there's a guy to cover you down there if you went to the attacking zone as a defender and so on.

It's ridiclous to compare basketball to football and even more pathetic to bring up the "defensive duties". Put up a field size of a boxing ring and play 5v5 football and im sure every single player in there would try to block all the possible shots, it just doesn't make sense to bring up the defensive stuff since football has so much bigger field to play on.
Every sport is different so we should just stop comparing athletes altogether then. I specifically said how does Ronaldo fare against fellow forwards instead of how good he is defensively compared to other footballers, since it's more position divided game. So is Ronaldo a elite player in both phases compared to others playing the same position? It's one thing to have "defensive duties", it's a whole nother thing to be elite at it for a decade, while also carrying the offense of your team as well. Jordan was Ronaldo with Mandzukic esque defense and workrate, if you want an accurate translation to football

- - - Updated - - -

I would actually like to see LeBron running fully 90mins in a soccer game or you could bring Jordan as well, it wouldn't matter. Football player could easily play an NBA game as far if we forget the technical abilities, but NBA player couldn't crack it on a football field - and it's a fact and it just proves that if Jordan was able to be mentioned about his defensive duties in basketball.
Saying your opinion, a terrible one at that, and then add it's a fact lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 38)

• Gian