Cristiano Ronaldo (149 Viewers)

May 25, 2019
Jordan was great but hardly the GOAT by a country mile. Wilt scored 100 points in a single game, Kareem was dominant on many championship teams, etc. The best match from that period that never happened was Jordan's Bulls vs. Olajuwon's Rockets. I would say that Lebron is at least in Jordan's league. Jordan wasn't the rebounder or passer than Lebron is and wasn't as physically strong either. Magic and Bird were guys that could beat you any which way on the court. Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double over an entire season, Shaq was a force of nature like Wilt before him, etc.

IMO Gretzky was more dominant as a hockey player than Jordan was as a basketball player. I haven't watched football as long as I did basketball so I can't compare Jordan to Ronaldo other than they are both clutch and strive to be the best of the best.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Tyson Fury would beat the living shit out of Ali to be honest
GTFO. White Boy would get dropped inside 3 rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Jordan was great but hardly the GOAT by a country mile. Wilt scored 100 points in a single game, Kareem was dominant on many championship teams, etc. The best match from that period that never happened was Jordan's Bulls vs. Olajuwon's Rockets. I would say that Lebron is at least in Jordan's league. Jordan wasn't the rebounder or passer than Lebron is and wasn't as physically strong either. Magic and Bird were guys that could beat you any which way on the court. Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double over an entire season, Shaq was a force of nature like Wilt before him, etc.

IMO Gretzky was more dominant as a hockey player than Jordan was as a basketball player. I haven't watched football as long as I did basketball so I can't compare Jordan to Ronaldo other than they are both clutch and strive to be the best of the best.
Jordan is the GOAT, and it's not by a country mile because of Kareem, not Lebron. Lebum has people eating at the table and getting their fill. He's not a natural born winner, and he lacks the hunger and drive of both Jordan and the Late Kobe. Lebron is a better a better rebounder and passer because of his size and physical attributes, but Jordan didn't need to rebound or pass with Rodman and Pippen on the team. Jordan is a far superior scorer to Lebum (who still has an ugly ass jumper and still scores most of his points in the paint through being a flat track bully). Jordan trumps Lebum on offense, defense, and intangibles and it's not close.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015

Agreed abour Gretzky. He was the most dominant athlete at his sports ever but MJ is undisputed GOAT of basketball, like Federer, Schumacher, CR7, Max Schmeling, Rocco Silfredi and Tom Brady are undisputed GOATs at their sports.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
A football team has 11 players while Basketball has only 5, so I think it's easier to stand out and be tha main man. Also football is infinitely more older, popular and global, so there is a lot more competition for GOATdom.

That being said Jordan is definitely more charismatic than any other team sport player IMO. But I think CR is more competitive and obsessed than him.

PS the Last Dance is a trip :tup:
:rofl: Really? Of course I expected this biased statement from you. I'm sure if Ronaldo had never signed for us, you'd be spewing some other narrative.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that CR is more competitive and obsessed? Please share your infinite wisdom with the forum.

May 25, 2019
Agreed abour Gretzky. He was the most dominant athlete at his sports ever but MJ is undisputed GOAT of basketball, like Federer, Schumacher, CR7, Max Schmeling, Rocco Silfredi and Tom Brady are undisputed GOATs at their sports.
Schmeling lost to Joe Louis did he not?

GTFO. White Boy would get dropped inside 3 rounds.

- - - Updated - - -

Jordan is the GOAT, and it's not by a country mile because of Kareem, not Lebron. Lebum has people eating at the table and getting their fill. He's not a natural born winner, and he lacks the hunger and drive of both Jordan and the Late Kobe. Lebron is a better a better rebounder and passer because of his size and physical attributes, but Jordan didn't need to rebound or pass with Rodman and Pippen on the team. Jordan is a far superior scorer to Lebum (who still has an ugly ass jumper and still scores most of his points in the paint through being a flat track bully). Jordan trumps Lebum on offense, defense, and intangibles and it's not close.
Gotta admit that I haven't watched nearly as much b-ball since around the early 00's, I assumed that Lebron had more than 2 30ppg seasons and was surprised to see that MJ averaged 5 assists per game in spite of watching a hell of a lot of him in his prime. Based on that and his clutchness I would tend to agree about Lebron being a tier below MJ. I'm also surprised that Lebron with his size wouldn't average a block a game, his and MJ's blocked shots stats are pretty similar.

May 25, 2019
:rofl: Really? Of course I expected this biased statement from you. I'm sure if Ronaldo had never signed for us, you'd be spewing some other narrative.

How did you arrive at the conclusion that CR is more competitive and obsessed? Please share your infinite wisdom with the forum.
In a sense both reinvented their careers in their early-mid 30's from truly explosive athletes to more cerebral players. Jordan with his speed and jumping ability, Ronaldo with his speed and dribbling. Then later MJ with his fadeaway jumper and Ronaldo adapting his game to be very effective without challenging as many defenders with speed.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
In a sense both reinvented their careers in their early-mid 30's from truly explosive athletes to more cerebral players. Jordan with his speed and jumping ability, Ronaldo with his speed and dribbling. Then later MJ with his fadeaway jumper and Ronaldo adapting his game to be very effective without challenging as many defenders with speed.
I don't doubt CR7s competitive drive, but I know Elvin when it comes to Juve. If the player plays for us, he allows his subjective bias to trump objectivity. I'm sure there's a case to be made for CR7 being the more competitive and obsessed individual, but I just don't see it.

May 25, 2019
I don't doubt CR7s competitive drive, but I know Elvin when it comes to Juve. If the player plays for us, he allows his subjective bias to trump objectivity. I'm sure there's a case to be made for CR7 being the more competitive and obsessed individual, but I just don't see it.
I would honestly say that they'd be comparative. Most of the greatest athletes in the world are very driven, what makes basketball different is that there are only 5 players on the court per side so 1 elite player can make a huge difference. In other team sports there will either be more players or in the case of hockey the players don't play full games other than the goalies. In terms of a will to win a guy like Mark Messier was up there, except he'd elbow guys and do whatever it takes but he was never at the top of the hockey world. MJ and CR7 are special cases of being the best while also having the drive to be the best at all costs. Either guy probably sells his soul to the devil if it would take him over the top.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
A football team has 11 players while Basketball has only 5, so I think it's easier to stand out and be tha main man. Also football is infinitely more older, popular and global, so there is a lot more competition for GOATdom.

That being said Jordan is definitely more charismatic than any other team sport player IMO. But I think CR is more competitive and obsessed than him.

Respectfully disagree on that part.

MJ is as competitive as they come. To see him do something all they had to say he can't do something. That man shot FTs with his eyes closed, without any mercy destroyed people who dared to say something negative about him, he read articles in the press and reacted to the bad ones and tried to prove them wrong. He always succeeded in proving people wrong. Just like he said in the new doc, he took offense that they compared him to Drexler. That season they were also highlighting that MJ shot worse than him from deep, so in the finals 1st game he made 6 threes and made the famous shrug by saying "what did you all say?".

You can keep going and going about these crazy stories about his competitiveness. Sometimes you think they're countless. To this day, people are still talking that his gambling was the reason his dad got killed.

He was one big ruthless motherfucker. I can still watch his highlights for hours. His freaking fadeaway was as smooth as water flowing down a steam. Elegant, yet full of swagger. Best ever to play the game.

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011

Basketball is also physically more demanding than football and you need to make decisions much quicker. In general basketball players are more intelligent bunch than football players. Imo based on what Ive seen over the years and I trained both, basketball for 6 years, football for 2.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
It's not necessarily easier because you have less teammates. You also have more responsibility in that scenario. Jordan was scoring champ 10/11 times (led the league in total scoring his rookie year but Bernard King who played some 50 games was ahead in ppg), while he was also all defense 1st team 9/11 times (counting his full seasons with Chicago). How many defensive duties does Ronaldo have, or rather, would you put him in a hypothetical all defense team as your forward year in year out for a decade? Jordan in all his career had one true co star, Pippen, and he made a dynasty out of it.
Every 5v5 sport requires everybody to defend and it's just because it's the name of the game and you can't let other team have 20% more players involved into game in a 5v5 sports by having it at 5v4, but you could do it if it was 50v49 because the difference would just be that 2%. Also, the field in football is way bigger and game lasts 90mins with 3 subs, meanwhile basketball is 48mins with unlimited subs + the game isn't on whole time, so conserving the energy much as possible is the key and since the field is way bigger as well, the coverage around the field becomes way harder as well, so there goes the defensive duties or attacking duties if you're playing either end of the field(defense/attack) and if you did, there's a guy to cover you down there if you went to the attacking zone as a defender and so on.

It's ridiclous to compare basketball to football and even more pathetic to bring up the "defensive duties". Put up a field size of a boxing ring and play 5v5 football and im sure every single player in there would try to block all the possible shots, it just doesn't make sense to bring up the defensive stuff since football has so much bigger field to play on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 139)